Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 5) - No Sophmore Slump, please Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe your philosophy is based off of stringent guidelines that don’t exist for people who actually work in the field.

“BPA” is pretty meaningless when you’re drafting in later slots and most players come with question marks.

No, Timmins specifically said they switched from BPA to filling need as the league became younger and younger and players came into the league and are having a bigger impact so much sooner after being drafted...

Drafting for need instead of BPA is a thing and was a philosophical shift in the Habs drafting philosophy.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No, Timmins specifically said they switched from BPA to filling need as the league became younger and younger and players came into the league and are having a bigger impact so much sooner after being drafted...

Drafting for need instead of BPA is a thing and was a philosophical shift in the Habs drafting philosophy.

The Habs have no philosophy. They don't have a vision. Their approach changes yearly because they allow the flavor of the month to affect their decision making.

Whoever wins the cup this year will be the model they try to adopt and they will change it next year with the model of that team.

When you have no vision at the top. This is what you get.

Reactions: Tyson and 26Mats

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Habs have no philosophy. They don't have a vision. Their approach changes yearly because they allow the flavor of the month to affect their decision making.

Whoever wins the cup this year will be the model they try to adopt and they will change it next year with the model of that team.

I think the vision has changed since Dudley left and Timmins was promoted to assistant GM. I don't think you are wrong about the flavor of the month strategy influence though. However, I do think Timmins is a good fit with Bergevin. They really have turned our prospect pool around

How many teams have averaged 10 picks in the last 4 drafts (including this next one)? Answer is not many. Maybe 1-3 teams.

With me, I feel Bergevin and Molson are listening to Timmins advise a bit more. Just watch how Timmins handles the media and is confident. Watch the draft day video and how Bergevin trusted his opinion on if they should make a trade or not.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

If any of that were true, these people wouldn’t have jobs. You can complain all you want about what’s perceived as bad decisions or a lack of a plan, but this is a multi million dollar business. It just doesn’t work that way. There’s no monkey throwing darts. What the plan or vision is, may not be clear or one that we agree with, but there definitely have been plans. In business, those plans always evolve and yes, you may try to copy successful models, but it just doesn’t always work out. I agree, there have been and are still flaws, but I can see a better direction now. Building through the draft and especially developing these guys at the ahl level will bring success. I think that’s what we’re seeing now.
On a side note, Philly did NOT deserve to win that series. As poorly as the Habs did in regular season, they deserved to win that series. That really gives me encouragement for the future.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Habs will NEVER EVER adopt a TBay model. EVER...

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

Whoever wins the cup this year is going to do it with help, and in no small part, from: Radulov, pacioretty, Sergachev, McDonagh.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think the vision has changed since Dudley left and Timmins was promoted to assistant GM. I don't think you are wrong about the flavor of the month strategy influence though. However, I do think Timmins is a good fit with Bergevin. They really have turned our prospect pool around

How many teams have averaged 10 picks in the last 4 drafts (including this next one)? Answer is not many. Maybe 1-3 teams.

With me, I feel Bergevin and Molson are listening to Timmins advise a bit more. Just watch how Timmins handles the media and is confident. Watch the draft day video and how Bergevin trusted his opinion on if they should make a trade or not.

You are confusing a plan with a vision.

They executed a plan when the team kept failing to get draft picks and bolster the prospect pool. There is no vision associated with the players they are picking or what type of team they are trying to build from a philosophical stand point.

If any of that were true, these people wouldn’t have jobs. You can complain all you want about what’s perceived as bad decisions or a lack of a plan, but this is a multi million dollar business. It just doesn’t work that way. There’s no monkey throwing darts. What the plan or vision is, may not be clear or one that we agree with, but there definitely have been plans. In business, those plans always evolve and yes, you may try to copy successful models, but it just doesn’t always work out. I agree, there have been and are still flaws, but I can see a better direction now. Building through the draft and especially developing these guys at the ahl level will bring success. I think that’s what we’re seeing now.
On a side note, Philly did NOT deserve to win that series. As poorly as the Habs did in regular season, they deserved to win that series. That really gives me encouragement for the future.

They have jobs because Molson doesn't like the hiring process of finding a new GM. He said it when he hired Bergevin that he didn't like it. He also clearly doesn't like firing people and having to pay their salaries to not work for him (despite being one of the most valuable franchises in hockey, Molson has spent under the cap for many seasons and was one of the first Canadian teams to reduce the operating salary for his staff during Covid, and one of the first to lay-off the employees at the Bell Centre).

There are plenty of people who are fundamentally terrible at their jobs in sports, who stay for too long, or get bounced around and always finding another role. It is an inbred sport and the retired NHLer with friends around the sport will always go somewhere else.

Montreal didn't deserve the series either. They couldn't score goals. You can't win if you don't score.

Habs will NEVER EVER adopt a TBay model. EVER...

They won't adopt the model but they will make some stupid assessment into why they won (probably trading first round picks for Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow) and try to replicate something like that. If they don't do that, then they will over-react to the Philly loss just like they over-reacted in previous years and selected Tinordi then McCarron.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are confusing a plan with a vision.

They executed a plan when the team kept failing to get draft picks and bolster the prospect pool. There is no vision associated with the players they are picking or what type of team they are trying to build from a philosophical stand point..

I can't argue against that too much. The latest team needs are better wingers for Suzuki and KK and a PP QB. Hopefully their plan is not to stay conservative while we have Price and Weber and it takes 3-5 years to address the flaws.

Replacing Price and Weber is not going to be easy! I like Primeau a lot but the chances he is a top 10 NHL starter is slim. And good luck replacing Weber! Some want to trade Petry :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad