Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 5) - No Sophmore Slump, please Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Absolutely. We drafted Caufield for his offensive upside, not his defensive prowess. My argument was just to illustrate that he has enough defensive awareness to play top minutes because he won't be a humongous liability on a line the way, for example, Galchenyuk was, IMO.

I don't think we need a 30-goal scorer on a line that allows 70 goals against because they can't do the basic defensive job required.

A line with a defensively responsible C like Suzuki that also can feed Caufield would help minimize the need for Caufield to devote more attention to playing D than it would, let's say, on a line with Domi as C, for example.

Obviously, adding a LW that also can take care of D while producing points (à la Tatar) to play with Suzuki and Caulfield better exploits Caufield's strengths.

When Galchenyuk and Pacioretty scored at a high rate to end the 2015-2016 season with 30 goals each, they managed to lose more games than they won while scoring and allowed more goals against than they generated in a negative goal differential. Run and gun hockey to pad personal stats in a losing season.

If Caufield were to play that way, he better score 60 goals a year because other aspects of his game certainly won't be pillars of his.

The key with Caufield will be surrounding him with the right players. I'd prefer a bigger LW with the same 200-foot qualities that Tatar has but, as it stands, I'd rather see Tatar at LW with Caufield than Drouin or Domi.

In that way, Caufield will need to be protected but, he will also at least cover the minimal defensive requirements to get the ice time that will help him produce.

Just don't expect Caufield on a shutdown line that also produces like the Tatar - Danault - Gallagher line.

You could switch out Gallagher for Caufield but, you wouldn't get the same overall results.

Balancing things out could provide the following lines:

Tatar - Suzuki - Caufield
Domi - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - kotkaniemi - Armia
Lehkonen - Poehling - Byron

Tatar and Suzuki complementing Caufield so he can concentrate more on finding open ice to shoot from.

Danault and Gallagher complementing Domi so he can carry the puck more but, with Domi having enough of a sandpaper style to complement the other two as well.

Drouin with size and skill in Armia and Kotkaniemi to give him more room on the ice so he can exploit both his shot and playmaking skills.

Poehling's line for a good shutdown trio that can also provide complementary scoring.

However, I expect one of Domi or Drouin to be moved for help on D and I expect Kovalchuk to re-sign for another year in MON.

Ideally, we'd be able to move Drouin rather than Domi for help on D, something like Drouin + Mete to COL for Girard.

Tatar - Suzuki - Caufield
Domi - Danault - Gallagher
Kovalchuk - kotkaniemi - Armia

Girard - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Romanov - Fleury

I am 100% sure Julien would never put Suzuki(2nd year) and Caufield(1st year) on a same line. Either ways Caufield should not be playing at all in montreal next year except maybe a few games before season's end if Wisconsin gets eliminated early. Just my opinion.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I have been watching some rebroadcast games during this pandemic and one player that might be a good comparison to what Caufield hopefully could become would be Mike Cammalleri. A little guy that had a knack for finding open space on the ice and was lethal when he got the chance. I think that MC might be a good comparison, the kid is not a Galagher type, not many are, if he can become a Cammalleri clone we should be happy. I still believe it will be a tough road for him and we will see what happens.

Cammalleri clone would be fine. Need complementary players for him and finding the chemistry will be crucial. I think you need a playmaker that can also score at C.

Suzuki or, maybe KK, because he has more size but, I think Suzuki plays longer with the puck on his stick and has a way of slowing down the play that KK hasn't shown us so far. Both have a great shot, although both need to use it more at this early stage in their careers.

You'd also need a puck possession beast that can dig pucks out of the corners and, on the Habs, there's the diminutive Gallagher that fits the bill but, a more complementary choice in Joël Armia, who also brings size to that line.

That way, you don't break up a Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line that has shown definite chemistry over the last couple of seasons.

Caufield ends up needing to play LW as a righty but, already, he frequently migrates to the left side to exploit his shot. I also see no equivalent to Armia on the left side to complement Caufield as a RW. Barring a trade or a draft pick, that ends up streamlined through the development process, to bring us that player, Caufield plays LW.

If Drouin's wrist is properly healed and he still has a decent shot once it is, it appears he would migrate to RW on a 3rd line with real talent on the wings of Kotkaniemi in both Domi and Drouin. Kotkaniemi has a knack to move the puck forward and both wingers have the speed and playmaking ability, plus a decent shot to enter the O-zone as a threat with the puck. Kotkaniemi, trailing on the play becomes a target for a shot or to carry through on a tic tac toe.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Caufield - Suzuki - Armia
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Drouin
Evans, Weal

Reactions: OldCraig71

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
Well, now we know there was no discussion about this with the kid prior to the article coming out. It's not like the article shamed the kid or anything.

I agree it's not ideal that Bergevin reached out to the kid the day after the article was posted but, some posters are blowing this out of proportion, IMHO.

For some, it's just one of endless attempts to call Bergevin out as an ignorant, uncaring, unfeeling GM who has a vendetta against anything Hab-related when it comes to the success of the team, like he is on a mission to destroy the organization. Anything can fit your narrative if that's what you're after...

Doubt the kid will be scarred for life or anything some might be suggesting.

At least, Bergevin didn't let things fester and called the kid the next day.

Not saying I would have handled it that way, though.

I agree that proactive is always best.
Nobody thinks he's doing it maliciously, we just think he's an idiot with no idea how to run a franchise

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Despite the fact that his ineptitude is proven by his record, you defend him with hyperbole and straw man arguments. So what you think doesn't really count for squat .

That's just not nice of you. You can hate all you want but, I dont consider he's done great job and still wouldn't go overboard with "He's an idiot," as a comment but, maybe you're the idiot if you can't understand that.

Reactions: sharks9

Jul 6, 2016
Alex Newhook, drafted just after Caufield, just won best NCAA rookie of the year award.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well, he might have a couple of years to grow. Maybe he can reach 5'7 by the time this is all over.

Jul 6, 2016
Newhook would had been a safer pick. Taller, heavier. A better Braydon Point ?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Nobody know until they both reach the NHL who will be better.

Caufield had some problems but I think he will have a significant rebound next year. I am glad he is staying another year in college.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Alex Newhook, drafted just after Caufield, just won best NCAA rookie of the year award.
Newhook also had a way better supporting cast, and played on a much better team overall. He's tied for 1st on his team in points (42), and a bunch of guys had 30+ points. Caufield was a ppg (36 in 36) and had 8 more points than the 2nd best (28 points). We can't really compare. Newhook is a great player too, I would've been thrilled with either Caufield or Newhook.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Newhook would had been a safer pick. Taller, heavier. A better Braydon Point ?

I mean are you for real? Seriously? I get that you want to make a debate between the universe in which we picked him vs all the different universes we didnt pick him, good luck with the redundancy of that alone...but seriously bring in an actual player who has actually scored 93 NHL points in an actual NHL season.. and you think newhook is better or WILL be better than that..?

Then holy shit, can you use your powers of prediction to also tell us when this Virus will finally dissipate?

I understand you put a question mark next to points name, to kind of cover your ass, but this "would have been a safer pick" shit is for the birds man, lol you could of just used "could of" but you HAD to say "would of" implying your hypothetical is 100% right without proof, so I gotta let ya have it

Jul 6, 2016
And twice on Sunday!

The future will prove you re wrong. Like picking KK over Tkachuck was the wrong pick.

Ask yourself why he was still available at spot 15. Way way too small and unidimensional player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad