Prospect Info: Cole Caufield Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Cole Caufield is doing great, no doubt...

But Kaliyev in the OHL is not shabby either, leading the whole league in total points and goals scored.... + the kid is way bigger than Cole. I still would like Caufield with the Habs BUT Habs are still totally undersized upfront this year, and for years to come.

OHL has no men in that league but I did like Kaliyev as well pre-draft. Kid can also score. Very difficult to compare NCAA to OHL IMO.

Reactions: jaffy27

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Cole Caufield is doing great, no doubt...

But Kaliyev in the OHL is not shabby either, leading the whole league in total points and goals scored.... + the kid is way bigger than Cole. I still would like Caufield with the Habs BUT Habs are still totally undersized upfront this year, and for years to come.

it's key that KK and Poehling become good offensive players. KK will be a beast at 25. I can see it in his attitude.

Domi and Suzuki will play big.

Drouin and Caufield will be our two small non-physical forwards in the top 6.
I'm ok with:

Poehling/Domi Domi/Poehling Caufield
Drouin Kotkaniemi Suzuki

Jul 6, 2016
Too small

Too small.... for the actual Habs line up. Hopefully, guys like Byron, Lehkonen, Tatar are gone when Caufield makes the team. But would be great on most bigger NHL line ups.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Top notch ???? WOW, They had three first round picks in 2015. They had picks 12-13-14. Only De Brusk panned out (a bit)... Picks 15-16-17 were Barzal, Connor and Chabot !!!!! they have done their homework for sure... LOL.

Their franchise players have all been drafted, what does that say about the scouting? Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Krug, Krejci and Rask. We have had first round picks too, so what is Montreal's excuse? Compared to this shitshow, they are light years ahead in scouting.

You can't build a team without developing key players, the waiver wire doesn't work that well.

Jul 6, 2016
Their franchise players have all been drafted, what does that say about the scouting? Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Krug, Krejci and Rask. We have had first round picks too, so what is Montreal's excuse? Compared to this ****show, they are light years ahead in scouting.

You can't build a team without developing key players, the waiver wire doesn't work that well.

Habs have drafted many players with potential.... But they traded them away: McDonagh, Patches, Subban, Sergachev, Galchenyuk, Halak, + first and second rounders they traded for guys like Shaw and Tanguay....

But you should admit that Bruins' 2015 first three picks were really crappy ones....

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Habs have drafted many players with potential.... But they traded them away: McDonagh, Patches, Subban, Sergachev, Galchenyuk, Halak, + first and second rounders they traded for guys like Shaw and Tanguay....

But you should admit that Bruins' 2015 first three picks were really crappy ones....

Can you not understand I'm talking about the Bergevin regime? Jesus .

Reactions: Tighthead

Jul 6, 2016
Can you not understand I'm talking about the Bergevin regime? Jesus .

You should add: The "Timmins" regime, too.

Anyway, besides Pastrnak and Krug, all the others were drafted long time ago, even before MB became Habs GM.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
it's key that KK and Poehling become good offensive players. KK will be a beast at 25. I can see it in his attitude.

Domi and Suzuki will play big.

Drouin and Caufield will be our two small non-physical forwards in the top 6.
I'm ok with:

Poehling/Domi Domi/Poehling Caufield
Drouin Kotkaniemi Suzuki

Suzuki is far from being labelled a physical player although he has been noticeably more involved than he ever was in junior. Drouin is 6'0" 200lbs, so not exactly small and Caufield is feistier and more agressive than either of them in puck battles.

I don't mind your lines but I would switch Caufield with Suzuki as it creates a better balance in size and speed.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzuki is far from being labelled a physical player although he has been noticeably more involved than he ever was in junior. Drouin is 6'0" 200lbs, so not exactly small and Caufield is feistier and more agressive than either of them in puck battles.

I don't mind your lines but I would switch Caufield with Suzuki as it creates a better balance in size and speed.

I just see Domi and Caufield having great chemistry, regardless of size. Domi by nature looks to find a shooter, like Adam Oates (of course I'm not saying he's as good of a playmaker as Oates, I'm just saying when he gets the puck he's looking to pass first). Caufield by nature looks for soft ice to get his lightning quick and accurate shot off. It seems like a sweet match. Domi, so far with the Habs, hasn't played with such a pure sniper. Gallagher and Tatar are the closest we have. But he hasn't played with those two much at all. Would love for someone to take Tatar's spot on the top line and see how a Tatar-Domi duo would do, perhaps with Suzuki on the wing. Could Poehling be ready for: Poehling-Danault-Gallagher? We'll see. He sure needs time to adjust. Perhaps Cousins could do the job.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I just see Domi and Caufield having great chemistry, regardless of size. Domi by nature looks to find a shooter, like Adam Oates (of course I'm not saying he's as good of a playmaker as Oates, I'm just saying when he gets the puck he's looking to pass first). Caufield by nature looks for soft ice to get his lightning quick and accurate shot off. It seems like a sweet match. Domi, so far with the Habs, hasn't played with such a pure sniper. Gallagher and Tatar are the closest we have. But he hasn't played with those two much at all. Would love for someone to take Tatar's spot on the top line and see how a Tatar-Domi duo would do, perhaps with Suzuki on the wing. Could Poehling be ready for: Poehling-Danault-Gallagher? We'll see. He sure needs time to adjust. Perhaps Cousins could do the job.

There are so many intriguing combinations......should be a fun ride.

Reactions: 26Mats

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Average NHL height is 6'1 and weight is 200, or 210 if I'm not mistaken.

Drouin is at, or below league average either way. Team has too many small players and need to get some size that has skill.

That said, Caufield isn't the one to go

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Drouin is at, or below league average either way. Team has too many small players and need to get some size that has skill.

Not sure we can't contend with this top 9 - IF they turn out to be really talented:

Poehling Domi Caufield
Drouin Kotkaniemi Suzuki
Tatar Danault Gallagher

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010

you’re mistaken.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Not sure we can't contend with this top 9 - IF they turn out to be really talented:

Poehling Domi Caufield
Drouin Kotkaniemi Suzuki
Tatar Danault Gallagher

That's a lot of good players but I think we need some franchise level talents for it to gel together.

Getting a Byfield and moving Domi back on the wing would be the best case scenario for me.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's a lot of good players but I think we need some franchise level talents for it to gel together.

Getting a Byfield and moving Domi back on the wing would be the best case scenario for me.
I was just thinking today, if for some reason this season went down the tubes (though I don't see that happening), if we missed on Lafreniere but got Byfield, that would be a game changer.

Back to reality: we need Kk, Caufield, Domi, and either Suzuki or Drouin to be really good. If those 5 and Poehling are all really good, that's a pretty good squad. Ylonen may end up being a goal scorer, and could take over for Tatar. Maybe one of these years Bergevin will sign his first UFA forward with some offense. I mean it was great when he picked up Radulov, but then he let him slip through his fingers.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Caufield picks up an assist on the 5 on 3 PP, he shanked one and another the goalie made a big save.

and just missed picking up another assist during 4 on 4 play as it was a 2 on 1 and he feed Turcotte but he couldn't put it in. Earlier in the game the duo had a 2 on 1 where Turcotte had the puck but instead of passing he opted to shoot and got a goal. I'm sure it was going through the D and goalies head that he was going to pass there.

Wisconsin was down 3-1 late in the 2nd when they got a couple PP's, in the final few mins Caufield barely left the ice as he was being double shifted there to try to tie it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad