Prospect Info: Cole Caufield Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Well educated. He's extremely generous. He ain't a selfish player. Caufield has never considered boosting his individual stats at the expense of his team and his teammates. That what makes him likeable. Team spirit before all. And that's fair enough.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's a small little guy and they should look at possibly leaving him there another year.

it's a tough spot because if he really wants to turn pro then you run the risk of pissing him off and then he could opt not to sign with us. Granted that would be highly unlikely since he would have to play all 4 years in the NCAA so I don't see that happening.

The other thing is he doing so well in the NCAA but does need to work on some things. I would bet everything I own that he's signed and in the NHL as long as Wisconsin's season is over by the end of March, which I assume it will be. The Habs rush all their top prospects although with Price, Weber and Petry they finally might not have the room to rush Primeau and Brook at least.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Caufield suffers from Ovechkinitis. People see the goals and think all he does is score. He has one of the most diverse skillset in hockey offensively. As a goalscorer hes closer to Patty Kane or Brad Marchand than Laine or Matthews.

Isn't he kind of like a hybrid of Ovi and Gaudreau? Those who know and have watched him close... Does he have the skating potential and puck possession skill like Kane and Marchand?

He's a small little guy and they should look at possibly leaving him there another year.

Tricky part is he needs to play 10 NHL games (regular season or playoffs) this year in order to burn the 1st year of his ELC cause he turns 19 in 2020. So lets say the Badgers season ends early and the Habs are in a playoff spot and Caufield's agent calls us to sign a ELC? We can't say no!

I get what your saying about him playing another NCAA year and he might. But Caufield kind of controls things a bit and if we say no and we want him to play another NCAA year, he might elect to become a free agent and screw us over down the road. Unlikely but we need to manage this carefully

Last edited by a moderator:

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015

I don't think size is the determining factor, in today's NHL. Greatest example is Brendan Gallagher, who is in phenomenal shape but is not a very big man at all.

It's all about skating, high hockey IQ and strength. He has two out of the three, and even on the strength issue he is closer than people think he is.

This kid is a stud, I can't believe he slipped to us. When he lands this city is going to fall in love with the guy.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hope you are right. We need offensive star.
I don't think size is the determining factor, in today's NHL. Greatest example is Brendan Gallagher, who is in phenomenal shape but is not a very big man at all.

It's all about skating, high hockey IQ and strength. He has two out of the three, and even on the strength issue he is closer than people think he is.

This kid is a stud, I can't believe he slipped to us. When he lands this city is going to fall in love with the guy.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
hard to say it seems he is passing more this year based on the amount of assists he has, which isn't a bad thing.
At some point, you have to be able to dish the puck, as teams will adjust to you if all you do is shoot (and visa versa). But Caufield has shown he's a more than capable passer, so that isn't an issue.

Reactions: Habs4Life

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
He obviously doesn’t need much work on his shot so if he wants to start becoming more of a playmaker this year I’m all for it. He’s going to be covered a lot on the PP leaving linemates open for a feed.

A lot of his goals appear to be in tight on the left side, would like to see him trying to score from more spots on the ice as well, but I’ll admit I don’t watch him play a lot.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Isn't he kind of like a hybrid of Ovi and Gaudreau? Those who know and have watched him close... Does he have the skating potential and puck possession skill like Kane and Marchand?
He’s got some nasty mitts, looks like the puck is glued to his blade at times, a bit like Hughes. But barely uses them. He likes to do quick passes to get setted up for a shot. i wish he would try to keep the puck a bit more in this ozone like he did last game! He’s usually not very good in zone entry since he isn’t super explosif but he has some very good edges and agility. He likes to use headstart and kinda cherry pick the red line!

He doesn’t play like kane at all, like i said he doesn’t like to control the pace somehow, he’s very smart, he knows his best assets is his release and he will skate to drag Dman with him,make smart passes and position himself in high danger zone, teams needs to respect that, so either he will score on you or it will create open space elsewhere! Him and Suzuki on the PP will be disgusting.

Jul 6, 2016
I think Caufield has his eyes set on the NHL. He said this before he started his NCAA season this year. Will that change? It's possible but I think he wants to sign that ELC as soon as possible

He wants to sign, but Habs will be the ones judging if he can handle NHL game next season.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
9 goals in 12 games. Is 30 still reachable? I'm assuming he gets a few multi goal games here and there?

The fact that there's even a conversation ABOUT "30" is pretty astoundingly amazing when one thinks about it
The very fact he didnt go 0-fer in say his first 7-8 games is already proof enough he's no bust imo, now its just how high is the ceiling for him really

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He wants to sign, but Habs will be the ones judging if he can handle NHL game next season.

He will be signed no matter what after his season is over.
His play in preseason is what will determine whether he goes to the nhl or ahl. A suzuki like preseason, and he will definitely make the team.
We even have a spot in the top 6 for him.

Domi - Suzuki - Gallagher
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Caufield
Tatar - Danault - Armia
Byron - Poehling - Lehkonen

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He will be signed no matter what after his season is over.
His play in preseason is what will determine whether he goes to the nhl or ahl. A suzuki like preseason, and he will definitely make the team.
We even have a spot in the top 6 for him.

Domi - Suzuki - Gallagher
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Caufield
Tatar - Danault - Armia
Byron - Poehling - Lehkonen

What gives you the idea that Kotkaniemi will be a #2C next year? I'd be surprised if Kotka breaks 14 mins TOI ave next year.

No chance Caufield starts in the top 6.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad