Player Discussion Cole Caufield - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He was making a joke. Anderson is big, but seems to get hurt quite easily and often, hence not durable. Might be related to how he plays the game though. He hit the net real hard in the playoffs.
After I had replied I wondered if it was a joke or not, oh well.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Frankie Bou was 5'8 and weighted 200 at his peek.

If he can go up to 180-185 without losing speed, he will be over 175.

MSL was 185 at his peek, measuring 5'8.

The whole 5 pound per inch is just a yardstick.

I would bet you anything he will never be over 180. They might list him at it but he won’t be. St. Louis was a freak of nature and no he didn’t hit 185. He was 176-178lbs in his peak and got to 182 late in his career. Frames are way different between the two players. Caufield doesn’t have a large frame. You can just tell. Caufield is 165 soaking wet right now. 15-20lbs is way to much to gain even over time.

You can list whoever u want at 5’8 200lbs some guys have large frames but fact is caufield is far from a large frame and staying within the average weight for his height is what I think happens.

at that height there is a massive difference in being 165 and 180-185. I dount he ever gets there and I don’t think you would want him there

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Did you see him 2 years ago at the Combine? He is even stronger and thicker now.
Yes I have no doubt he's stronger, but he's no tank by nhl standards stop it lol. He wouldn't last 2 weeks if he'd engage in physical confrontations at this level.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
My expectation before he joins the team:
Shooting: 9/10, passing: 4/10, skating: 6/10

After seeing him playing with Habs:
Shooting: 7.5/10, passing: 7/10, skating: 7/10

As much as I love Caufield, I have to admit that his shooting doesn't impress me, maybe my expectation was too high.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
I’m rarely bullish on a rookie’s production…but I think Canfield will score a minimum of 30G and could close on 40.

Unlike most rookies he’ll play a lot of offensive oriented minutes, alongside a very gifted centre.

I think Suzuki finishes the year with at least a 70 pts pace, and maybe closes on PPG. He was « unlucky » at 5v5 in his first two years according to advanced stats (lack of conversion from line mates?), with Caufield I think both 5v5 chance generating and conversion rate will increase significantly.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I’m rarely bullish on a rookie’s production…but I think Canfield will score a minimum of 30G and could close on 40.

Unlike most rookies he’ll play a lot of offensive oriented minutes, alongside a very gifted centre.

I think Suzuki finishes the year with at least a 70 pts pace, and maybe closes on PPG. He was « unlucky » at 5v5 in his first two years according to advanced stats (lack of conversion from line mates?), with Caufield I think both 5v5 chance generating and conversion rate will increase significantly.
I hope you're right, but chances are Caufield will get most of his points on the PP and in OT. 5 on 5 he's easy to push around.

Reactions: shanewalsh

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business

As much as I love Caufield, I have to admit that his shooting doesn't impress me, maybe my expectation was too high.

LOL!!!

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017

You're rating him after playing NCAA and the NHL pros?

The guy scored nice goal against some of the best goaltenders in the world and you rate his shot poorer than against spaghetti strainer in the NCAA rofl

Reactions: smcgreg

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
You're rating him after playing NCAA and the NHL pros?

The guy scored nice goal against some of the best goaltenders in the world and you rate his shot poorer than against spaghetti strainer in the NCAA rofl

Like seriously...... aside from the goals he did score, how about some of the misses. That one off the crossbar in game 5 of the final would have been one for the ages. Filthy angle and it was mms from going in. A ton of other times he had goalies beat and was just off target a bit.

This fan base really makes me laugh sometimes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You had him at 4/10 in passing before the NHL? Why?

(I agree with the other things you said). Biggest area of surprise with me was his skating. I like it! Keep working on that part and he's going to create time and space for himself... game changer

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
He has the power, quickness and accuracy, just learning still what works in the NHL compared to NCAA. Give him more than 20 games lol, maybe some time to actually practice with team and study tape.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021

Shooting:10
Passing:9
Skating:8.5

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yes I have no doubt he's stronger, but he's no tank by nhl standards stop it lol. He wouldn't last 2 weeks if he'd engage in physical confrontations at this level.
My point is that he is built like a mini tank and just because he is only 5'7 means nothing.
He is built to hold up. He had no issues with playing 20 playoff games

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
My point is that he is built like a mini tank and just because he is only 5'7 means nothing.

Most really small players are. It's easier to level someone who's 6 feet tall than a small player. You have to hit the guy with downwards momentum and it's not easy to do for big players.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
In Caufield isn't his passing ability who surprise me... he is speed. Really like his skating and speed... he is a dangerous player.

On that goal... reminds me of McDavid type of speed... that's pretty encouraging for the futur. This guy is going to be special for Habs.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
In Caufield isn't his passing ability who surprise me... he is speed. Really like his skating and speed... he is a dangerous player.

On that goal... reminds me of McDavid type of speed... that's pretty encouraging for the futur. This guy is going to be special for Habs.

His top speed is not the best, but his acceleration, especially the first strides is excellent.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I don't see it. He had no issues playing in the playoffs because he's smart and avoided practically any type of contact and any 1 on 1 physical battles as he should because he won't win those. When you talk about small players built like tanks I tend to think of players much more along the lines of Jordan Tootoo.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012

The best part is he meant to do exactly that, he’s gotten a lot of goals in college like that too. To basically just be thrown into the wolves and still shoot like that… yeah his shooting impresses the hell out of me.

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec

Ouf! but that’s just a bad evaluation. His shooting is elite.

if you can’t see that, you should watch more closely next year

Did you expect him to score 15 goals in the playoffs??? That’s just nonsense.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

He is an elite shooter.......your inability to recognize it doesn't change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad