Prospect Info: Cole Caufield II (Montreal 15th overall in 2019 draft) mod warning # 560

How many goals will Caufield score in the 3 development camp scrimmages?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’ve read your posts.

Unless you’re not articulating your thoughts, it sounds to me like you think his shot will easily be picked up by NHL goalies and he’ll effective be useless as a player as not many 5’7” players who can’t score have a big impact on the game.

What am I misreading exactly?
No, Im properly articulating, youre just not reading properly. Where did I say that his shot will be picked up?

This is a crazy waste of my time.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
No, Im properly articulating, youre just not reading properly. Where did I say that his shot will be picked up?

This is a crazy waste of my time.

Nah, goals like that are just not given in the NHL. Maybe by bad goalies but thats it. Unless you think Cole has the best wrister in the game, or most accurate.

Seems pretty clear to me.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Pro goalies let in these goals All. The. Time. Goal scoring is increasing every year and guys like Caufield who have a killer shot are scoring more and more in today’s NHL. Downplaying his accomplishments and what he’s shown he’s capable of at a high level is the height of ignorance. Thinking his shot (at 18) won’t improve with age by the time he makes it to the NHL is also ridiculous. You’re comparing an 18 year old to seasoned NHL goalies where the real comp is where will he be in 1-3 years and how much better he’ll be over time. His development isn’t static and neither is his tool set.

Take it in. Caufield is an elite goal scorer and he’ll be one in the NHL.

Jeezus. The goal in question was a weak one. Chill out, it doesn't diminish Caufield in any way, shape or form.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I kind of want to hold off from grabbing the Kleenex before I anoint him the second coming. Let's see what he can do in some stiff competition before he is heralded. Looks good so far but a big, ...nay I say a, huge step going forward.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
"GOALS LIKE THAT"

Out of the 70 or so goals he scored in 2019, how many were this shot? 5? 6? Lets say 10.

How does "Goaltenders dont give that kind of goals often in the NHL" translates to "Caufield wont score at the next level" ?

Like literally what the heck.

Because not many players can score those goals. Caufield scored two almost identical goals like that in consecutive games and multiple other times in his young career. But yeah, he can’t do that at the NHL level because you said so. Cool...

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I’m usually against playing player on their off wing, but Caufield is the exception- especially with playmakers like Poehling and Suzuki. I can see plenty of backhanded saucers from Poehling and crossice passes from Suzuki ending up in the back of the net.
I think for Caufield to do well at even strength he’ll need to be with a truly elite playmaking centre and a power forward on the other wing. I doubt we’ll get both of them and I think eventually he’ll be movin’ on to greener grass somewhere else. Not hating on him, just giving my opinion on things.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think for Caufield to do well at even strength he’ll need to be with a truly elite playmaking centre and a power forward on the other wing. I doubt we’ll get both of them and I think eventually he’ll be movin’ on to greener grass somewhere else. Not hating on him, just giving my opinion on things.
Poehling cam play that power forward game and Suzuki can be an elite playmaker. I think that line would be gold.

Reactions: Vygor

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Also that wasn’t a weak goal. He was so low in the zone, the goalie played as tight to the post as you can get. It was just a freakishly good shot.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Poehling cam play that power forward game and Suzuki can be an elite playmaker. I think that line would be gold.
Every team in the NHL has a couple of guys as good as or better then Poehling and Suzuki. Elite as in Top 5 in the NHL. Not as being too good for the AHL.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Adding a goalie in basketball sure would make things interesting lol.

In all seriousness, I totally disagree with the bolded part. Good goalies are sneaky man, they'll leave you an opening and close it before the shooter understands where it went. They'll bait players to try and get them to shoot in a spot they feel is their strength, the only way to be sure to not miss is off the post and in or bar down, that is obviously way harder than making a free throw for an NBA player. Obviously the more time a player has to shoot, the percentage of it going in will skyrocket but comparing Caufield's shooting skills to a routine play in a different sport is kinda unfair I'd say.
No doubt goalies bait players but short side shelf is typically not as easy to bait as a five-hole or glove, typically if it’s open it’s cause he’s gone down too early or lost his net and he’s not reacting cause he doesn’t realize he’s left it open. When I compare it to a free throw that’s not meant to take anything away from the skill and practice it takes to make it routine but for me it’s a much easier shot than picking a corner standing in the slot when the goalie is likely to be more active in challenging the shooter and trying to make the save. Far side shelf from that angle is a lot more impressive as you can’t see the net and just have to trust your shot

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Yes, they will! Don't you watch games? They miss ALL THE TIME. Geez, you take the BEST OF THE BEST at the accuracy shooting competition....and NEVER will you have the best of the best get 4 on 4. If you do, it's a rare feat. And in accuracy shooting, there are no pressures, no goalies, no nothing. And they don't succeed. NHL'ers. The best of the best.

I'M stunned at the negativity about one of the hardest wrister I've seen in a long time. And the possibility that he might be able to bring it to the other level. He has done it at EVERY LEVEL. Breaking records and all. I know we are not used to get great players, how about just envoying this one. Ciboire.
I’m enjoying the pick, he’s got the potential to be one of the best goal scorers we have had in a long time but sorry I’m not blindly accepting it’s a guarantee and I’m not taking a couple of nice looking goals, that I don’t consider hard to make, as proof he’s a can’t miss prospect. At least a half dozen teams passed on him which I’m hoping is their loss. Like I’ve said in an earlier post, I want my posts on Caufield to be considered top 10 dumbest of all time some day. In my mind there is a lot more pressure trying to hit targets standing still with all your peers watching you than just reacting in a game or in practice.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Also that wasn’t a weak goal. He was so low in the zone, the goalie played as tight to the post as you can get. It was just a freakishly good shot.

Exactly. There are not many better examples of threading the needle during the course of a hockey game...even in the NHL.

Weak goal? Ha!

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Apparently Caufield needs Hughes to be productive.

Oh wait.

83D277BB-8D32-4E97-B8EC-A1E67660C5A3.png

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Because size and reach still matters in the NHL, Its more true for defensemen than for fowards, but it still matters nonetheless...

Of course size still matters. But when a player of Caufield's skill set is available, his size shouldn't matter. And that's not to say the players that were taken before him that have size aren't good picks. But with the league proving that smaller sized players are effective and on some teams, the best player, his size shouldn't be reason enough to have you look elsewhere.

But the fact teams did look to other players benefited Montreal.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
24 fricking shots on goal in 5 games is pretty impressive.

Kaliyev as well did good.

My only hope is that the Habs don’t stunt him when he makes the team. Keep him shooting and shooting and SHOOTING!! Guys a shooter and he needs to play to his strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad