Prospect Info: Cole Caufield II (Montreal 15th overall in 2019 draft) mod warning # 560

How many goals will Caufield score in the 3 development camp scrimmages?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
It's what a lot of people are wondering. How could so many teams pass on him? We know it's his size, but with today's NHL and the growing number of smallish players having an impact on their teams, you'd think teams wouldn't hesitate. It's to Montreal's benefit in the end.

If that kid was 6'3", he'd be giving Hughes and Kakko a run for their money for the 1st overall.
it would be so funny if the guy would grow up 4-5" during the next 2 years

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Wait what ? Even fourth liners have ridiculously accurate shots.

What most dont have is the ability to use it in NHL situations.
Really ? The only player i can remember who was able to touch the four corners of the net during the AllStars game challenge was Raymond Bourque . Most of the players over the years were happy to touch 2 of them . No , not all the players have accurate shots

Reactions: peate

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
he has a very good and accurate wrister . He scores because of that and if the goalie protects the top corner , Cole will place the puck elsewhere

He does, but theres plenty of NHL players that have ridiculously accurate shots and they dont make this shot often. Its either you believe Cole is some special god, or that these goals are ironed out of pro goalies.

My guess is the latter.

Its not even a dig at Cole, its a dig at the goalies. Hes one of the best goalscorer to be drafted in recent years thats for sure, I was just commenting on the type of goal he scored.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Really ? The only player i can remember who was able to touch the four corners of the net during the AllStars game challenge was Raymond Bourque . Most of the players over the years were happy to touch 2 of them . No , not all the players have accurate shots
Theres a player that hits 4/4 almost every year. You can check on wiki.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I think in the future we will have discussions about if caufield has one of the best shots in the league

Reactions: Habs Icing

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
For anyone who thinks Caufield is ho-hum and not translatable in the NHL, read this for some perspective.

Cole Caufield: The NTDP Scoring Machine
After all, he set the NTDP record for career goals, tallying 126 over the course of his two seasons with the program. He bested the previous mark of 104, which was set by Phil Kessel (2003-05).
He shattered the single-season goals record with 72, eclipsing the previous mark of 55 which was set by Auston Matthews in 2014-15.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26586847/caufield-tops-kessel-u18-goal-scoring-record?platform=amp

The highly-touted NHL draft prospect scored two goals in USA's 7-1 win over Latvia to run his tournament total to 11, surpassing Phil Kessel and Brett Sterling's previous record of nine goals. Caufield has appeared in just four games in the tournament. Kessel and Sterling scored nine in six and eight games, respectively.
"It's a pretty special feeling," Caufield told ESPN after the game. "Any time you get to break a record like that, it's special."
Caufield is tied with Nikita Kucherov and Ilya Kovalchuk for second for the overall single-tournament scoring record. Assuming Team USA advances to the medal games, he will have three more games to challenge Alex Ovechkin's single-tournament record of 14, which has stood since 2002.

You don’t score at this rate, this consistently, obliterating records from very high end NHL talents and being right up there with others because you’re a one trick pony.

Caufield is elite. He was elite his entire career and will be elite in the NHL when he gets there. Anyone saying he won’t has literally zero ground to stand on and Caufield will only get bigger, more solid and his shot will only improve in strength and accuracy. Be happy for one. We have a legitimate no. Sniper who miraculously fell to us at 15.
I bet the coach of Wisconsin wakes up every morning and pinches himself...

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I see no problems whatsoever with being really hyped about this kid right now. His particular skillset was already making him special in my book but the more I see him and the more it's the OTHER stuff I notice . Stuff like his effort level,his compete, how he's always trying to make a play with or without the puck, etc. He has a lot of the same fire that Gallagher has and just imagine what a more skilled Gallagher could do to our team.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
It's what a lot of people are wondering. How could so many teams pass on him? We know it's his size, but with today's NHL and the growing number of smallish players having an impact on their teams, you'd think teams wouldn't hesitate. It's to Montreal's benefit in the end.
Because size and reach still matters in the NHL, Its more true for defensemen than for fowards, but it still matters nonetheless...

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He does, but theres plenty of NHL players that have ridiculously accurate shots and they dont make this shot often. Its either you believe Cole is some special god, or that these goals are ironed out of pro goalies.

My guess is the latter.

Its not even a dig at Cole, its a dig at the goalies. Hes one of the best goalscorer to be drafted in recent years thats for sure, I was just commenting on the type of goal he scored.
Dont know why Im quoted here, Im not the poster that wrote this...

Edit: JAPPO wrote that...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Here's the thing about that shot.. and it's not that I think he will score that goal a lot of times in the NHL.

The fact that he can and will beat you from there, means you have to be consciously aware of not 'giving' or leaving that opening and that means you have to seal the side up even more than you would against a lesser goal scorer.. that sets up other things, which Caufield knows that it does and why he is such a good goal scorer.

The more the goalie has to think/worry about.. the less effective he is.
For sure, and its probably why we see less of this goal scored, but more of the others. As I was saying, its probably ironed out by coaches at the prolevel, but physically theres no way you can block this and the rest. Goaltenders probably give more space on the outside than the inside to great shooters.

Thats my theory, because there has to he a reason we dont see this shot being executed more often.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Almost all of the players hit all 4 targets, Bourque actually went 4 for 4 in consecutive years. That's insane. His shot was extremely accurate and his ability to get shots through traffic and all goal is unparalelled. I think he still has the most shots on goal in history too.

I think he won the competition an unprecedented 8 times either outright or co-winner.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Almost all of the players hit all 4 targets, Bourque actually went 4 for 4 in consecutive years. That's insane. His shot was extremely accurate and his ability to get shots through traffic and all goal is unparalelled. I think he still has the most shots on goal in history too.

I think he won the competition an unprecedented 8 times either outright or co-winner.
Confirmed, hes 1000 ahead of Ovi, who has been shooting 300 a year for like 12 years now.

Jagr is 600 behind him. Absolutely crazy.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Confirmed, hes 1000 ahead of Ovi, who has been shooting 300 a year for like 12 years now.

Jagr is 600 behind him. Absolutely crazy.

WhTs with the Caufield hate?
He’s 19 and broken every scoring record set by NHL players who’d we’d all love to be Hab players.

Seriously, what’s your problem with him?

Reactions: Burke the Legend

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
WhTs with the Caufield hate?
He’s 19 and broken every scoring record set by NHL players who’d we’d all love to be Hab players.

Seriously, what’s your problem with him?
My problem is that people are overly sensitive. I never hated once on Caufield. I said these goals dont happen in the NHL.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

That isn't remotely true. It is a competition to see who hits the targets the quickest, most players hit all four corners.

The NHL has the best of the best in every hockey discipline. I have hit all four corners in four shots and I am trash. You can't make such nonsensical generalizations from tiny sample sizes.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
My problem is that people are overly sensitive. I never hated once on Caufield. I said these goals dont happen in the NHL.
Have you seen Laine, Boeser, Malkin, Tarasenko, Kucherov, Mathews, Kane, Debrincat, Kessel etc play before? Because if you have, house see them score like this before.

These goals get scored on in the NHL all the time. Just not by Hab players because we haven’t had a pure goal scorer like this in some time.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Have you seen Laine, Boeser, Malkin, Tarasenko, Kucherov, Mathews, Kane, Debrincat, Kessel etc play before? Because if you have, house see them score like this before.

These goals get scored on in the NHL all the time. Just not by Hab players because we haven’t had a pure goal scorer like this in some time.

I remember one by Kucherov or Kane last year and one on Price. Thats it.

Its not an insult to anyone but Hunter Jones. It doesnt matter. Unless you think Cole is the greatest goalscorer ever, hes not going to score those regularly.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Hitting targets while standing still is fine, and going 4 in 4 impressive, but it's not shooting under pressure in a game. If he can pick the corner like that, any opening is fair game. He'll get his goals anyway he can.

Reactions: Habs Icing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad