Prospect Info: Cole Caufield II (Montreal 15th overall in 2019 draft) mod warning # 560

How many goals will Caufield score in the 3 development camp scrimmages?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
My only hope is that the Habs don’t stunt him when he makes the team. Keep him shooting and shooting and SHOOTING!! Guys a shooter and he needs to play to his strength.
If anything, this is the one thing you should be the least worried about. Gallagher is the player who took the most shots in the league last season, and not one player even came close to him. That's the team system, and he'll get to learn from Gally.

Reactions: Help

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Of course size still matters. But when a player of Caufield's skill set is available, his size shouldn't matter. And that's not to say the players that were taken before him that have size aren't good picks. But with the league proving that smaller sized players are effective and on some teams, the best player, his size shouldn't be reason enough to have you look elsewhere.

But the fact teams did look to other players benefited Montreal.
Well, before the draft some were hoping Boldy would drop and I said that Caufield was the one with the highest chances to drop to us. My reasoning was quite simple, its easier to project a 6'2 200 lbs foward in the NHL than a 5'7 160 lbs one since at that size, the bust potential is higher...

There was also the Hughes factor, Caufield played most of the last season with a 1st overall pick, what probably added to the uncertainty and in a such deep draft, you dont want to go wrong, you want to make sure to draft an impact player that will play for you for the next 10 yrs, GMs probably felt like there were more risks with a such undersized player than a bigger one... I know Caufield proved he could score without Hughes for some stretches but still...

At the end of the day, Habs are laughing that a such player could drop to them at 15 and we the fans deserve it after missing the playoffs by a couple of points, I call it justice.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
how did he win it if almost all of the players hit all 4 targets ? almost all the players were co-winners ?
It was speed based and how many attempts. Some years he went 4/4, 4/6, 4/7 etc, but almost all players hit all the targets.

I'm surprised this needs to be explained.

You know each player doesn't get just 4 shots, right?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’ve read your posts.

Unless you’re not articulating your thoughts, it sounds to me like you think his shot will easily be picked up by NHL goalies and he’ll effective be useless as a player as not many 5’7” players who can’t score have a big impact on the game.

What am I misreading exactly?
No offense, but how in the world did you read his posts and come away with this interpretation. He said this one play is unlikely to best NHL goalies and he is right.

Why goto these lengths to win an argument, you're arguing Against something that was never stated by anyone on these boards.

I don't think he's not articulating his thoughts, I think you are clearly misinterpreting them.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He's ready for the big league but one or two years of college hockey dominating is what he needs.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If anything, this is the one thing you should be the least worried about. Gallagher is the player who took the most shots in the league last season, and not one player even came close to him. That's the team system, and he'll get to learn from Gally.

Why do you feel the need to make up stories? Gallagher was 6th in the league in shots.

Reactions: Redux91

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Also that wasn’t a weak goal. He was so low in the zone, the goalie played as tight to the post as you can get. It was just a freakishly good shot.
Agree. Also he was looking pass until the very last instant which makes it that much more difficult to pick up. He showed his passing threat in the previous game so goalies will have to respect that as long as he’s playing with another scoring threat.
Caufield-Poehling-Kotkaniemi
Drouin-Weber
could be a deadly PP in a couple years.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Why do you feel the need to make up stories? Gallagher was 6th in the league in shots.
Forgot to specify 5v5, sorry.

That said, in all situations, he's still 1st in the leagues in rates (iCF/60, iFF/60 and iSF/60) by still a considerable amount.
I'm sure he meant even strength shots, a category which Brendan Gallagher did lead. It happens sometimes when normies get their hands on ''advanced stats.'' The only stuff that happens is at even strength, of course.
The reason advanced stats people far prefer 5v5 over anything else is because 5v5 play is far more representative of a player's individual "talent" (and therefore more predictive predictive) than non-5v5 play, in that, for instance, PP and PK play is more impacted by a team's system and the combination of all players on the ice. It's not because it's not important - Hell, a metric like WAR puts a lot of emphasis on PP and PK contribution.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The reason advanced stats people far prefer 5v5 over anything else is because 5v5 play is far more representative of a player's individual "talent" (and therefore more predictive predictive) than non-5v5 play, in that, for instance, PP and PK play is more impacted by a team's system and the combination of all players on the ice. It's not because it's not important - Hell, a metric like WAR puts a lot of emphasis on PP and PK contribution.

Predictive of what? All play? I don't think so and I've seen anything showing as much. Most of the support for using 5 on 5 stats has been fairly ad hoc reasoning: ''the game is played 5 on 5'' for example. PP ability is a skill. There may be greater variance in PP metrics, but that's not quite the same thing as it not being as predictive.

Interestingly, predictiveness is what advanced stats in hockey most struggles with.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Cole Caufield will never score in the NHL 'cause d-men in the NHL do not let goal scorers room to score, and goalies will not be on their knees giving the top shelf to goal scorers. Exemple 1 out of 1000...

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
No nick names! Stop it! Cole caufield already sounds like goal caufield.. Nuff said.

And while we are at it... Nicknaming galchenyuk chuckie... Was just sickening. His name was gally growing up.
Every player gets a nickname he hates. That is all: So Antman or Smurfalicious! :laugh:

Eller was Larry :laugh:

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Cole Caufield will never score in the NHL 'cause d-men in the NHL do not let goal scorers room to score, and goalies will not be on their knees giving the top shelf to goal scorers. Exemple 1 out of 1000...

Nylander's always been a Habs killer. Every time I see him play us he's all over the ice and gets a goal on a great shot. His contract is huge, but if the Leafs ever give up on him, I'd take a look.

Hopefully Caufield's even better.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Finally. Something we can agree on.

Just google “top corner short side” and there are a bunch clips of goals being scored like that. But of course, it never happens...

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Whomever said that hasn't watched hockey.

Dmen give up the blue line easier than a prostitute and goalies go down faster than them. Goaltending is percentages + skill. Harder to hit the top of the net.

Caufield can pick the shit with ease and could be a high end deadly shooter in the NHL.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
From the athletic. At the under 20 world junior development camp.

Caufield was the best player at the camp. He was a standout in nearly every game I watched, generating a bunch of scoring chances whether on his stick or for others. There were the highlight reel snipes that quickly made their way around the internet, but he also generated a lot with his skill and vision. He didn’t score 72 last season by shooting 40 percent; he gets a lot of chances every game because of how many dimensions his skill set has aside from his frame.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Lol theys aid he is a thinner guy, caufield is built like a tank

Prediction, Caulfied will easily drop on the ice the same of number of times in his entire career that McCarron does in a 1 week.....:D

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Having said all of that, there is NO WAY the kid starts in the NHL. It's Wisconsin. Let him have more fun learn more train more and get him here next year at best. But the kid goes to College.

Wisconsin this year for sure, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the NHL in 20-21 though!

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Ideally, Caufield would play out this season at Wisconsin and then join us at the end of the year for the playoffs (if we made it. Makar did the same last year.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Ideally, Caufield would play out this season at Wisconsin and then join us at the end of the year for the playoffs (if we made it. Makar did the same last year.
Why should we burn a year off his ELC for no reason, other then so he can become a UFA a year earlier and depart for distant shores sooner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad