Confirmed with Link: COL/WSH Grubauer, Orpik for Avs 2018 2nd round pick

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Quick statistical comparison over the last two years:

Bernier: 67 starts, 0.552 QS%, 2.82 All Sit. GSAA, -4.41 5v5 GSAA, 0.930 expected 5v5 SV%, 0.927 actual 5v5 SV%

Grubuaer: 47 starts, 0.681 QS%, 18.27 All Sit. GSAA, 23.27 5v5 GSAA, 0.919 expected 5v5 SV%, 0.939 actual 5v5 SV%

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Quick statistical comparison over the last two years:

Bernier: 67 starts, 0.552 QS%, 2.82 All Sit. GSAA, -4.41 5v5 GSAA, 0.930 expected 5v5 SV%, 0.927 actual 5v5 SV%

Grubuaer: 47 starts, 0.681 QS%, 18.27 All Sit. GSAA, 23.27 5v5 GSAA, 0.919 expected 5v5 SV%, 0.939 actual 5v5 SV%

Can you explain what all this means to the laymen such as myself?

Reactions: arun and Foppberg

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Can you explain what all this means to the laymen such as myself?

QS% = Quality Starts % for which the equation is Quality Starts/Starts. A goalie posts a Quality Start when they start a game and post a SV% equal or above league average SV% (or a replacement level start while seeing 20 or less shots). A ~0.520 QS% is average, a 0.600 QS% is considered very good and after that you get into elite territory. Overall what this tracks is how consistent a goalie is at providing his team the best chance (~75%) at winning a game. QS% for the NHL can be found on hockey reference. AHL/CHL QS% data isn't tracked except for one place that I know of.

GSAA = Goals Saved Above Average. Based on the amount of shots and the league average SV% it tracks how many goals above average a specific goalie would have saved. You can apply it to all situations whether they are PP, PK, 5v5, etc. What this means for the stats laid out above is that Grubauer is a monster at 5v5. All situation GSAA can be found on hockey reference, the other GSAA numbers are found on corsica.

Expected 5v5 SV% = It's exactly what it's name sounds like. Based on the factors surrounding each shot what is a realistic expectation for how high of a SV% a goalie should post. It's crazy looking above and seeing that Grubauer was facing higher quality of shots than Bernier even when just looking at this season. And for those wondering Varly outplayed his expected SV% at 5v5 and all situations. This is found on corsica.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
If Grubauer has a future at the Rask/Rinne level, I’m not sure who would balk at trading a 2nd round pick for a Vezina level goalie

Reactions: MacBradley

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
@Gigantor The Goalie what you’re saying is that over the last two seasons Grubauer s qs% was borderline elite. If his actual 5v5 sv% was significantly higher than his expected 5v5 sv% does that indicate he’s really good at 5v5 or that he’s due for regression?

Thanks again for all your insight good sir/ma’am

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
@Gigantor The Goalie what you’re saying is that over the last two seasons Grubauer s qs% was borderline elite. If his actual 5v5 sv% was significantly higher than his expected 5v5 sv% does that indicate he’s really good at 5v5 or that he’s due for regression?

Thanks again for all your insight good sir/ma’am

Yeah Grubauer was pretty much gold every time he ended up starting in the regular season. It just indicates he's really good at 5v5. I wouldn't expect the same difference though between his xSV% and actual SV% this year as the difference was really high this year but he should still be playing above his xSV%. Generally good goalies consistently play above their xSV%.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
That's definitely pushing it...

Grubauer has starter potential and I'd say a good chance at becoming a legit starter in the league. But I dont see him being an elite goalie, nevermind being franchise level.

Bernier has proven that he's not capable of being a starter. Far too inconsistent both within a single game and over the course of a full season.

Bernier to Grubs is a big upgrade as we get younger, and a better goalie. But it's a little on the outlandish side to suggest Grubs has franchise potential. He's not going to be the next Price/Lundqvist/Luongo. More along the lines of a Rask/Bishop/Rinne I would say.

Not really. It was the same with Varly except he couldn't stay healthy. Gru has the same type of ceiling.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
New cap work around? Trade guy to a team willing to buy him out, then resign him for peanuts, and peanuts for your cap space, and he still ends up making basically what he was going to in the first place. I'm sure the league won't like this, esp. when it starts happening repeatedly.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
New cap work around? Trade guy to a team willing to buy him out, then resign him for peanuts, and peanuts for your cap space, and he still ends up making basically what he was going to in the first place. I'm sure the league won't like this, esp. when it starts happening repeatedly.
Sure, but you have to give up something good along the way. Not like we did Washington a favour for the sake of doing them a favour. They paid us to do them a favour in the form of Grubauer. Nothing wrong with it IMO.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sure, but you have to give up something good along the way. Not like we did Washington a favour for the sake of doing them a favour. They paid us to do them a favour in the form of Grubauer. Nothing wrong with it IMO.
Exactly, they are still ultimately paying a cost in assets to save cap space, which is a practice as old as the salary cap and well within the bounds of the CBA.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm 100% sure that it was agreed upon when they made the Grubs trade and Orpik was aware of it, too.

That was not the Joe Sakic we know to immediately announce that he'd buy out Orpik on the same day that the trade was made so he (Orpik) "could pursue whatever he wants".

Now the Caps could afford to sign Carlson and keep Orpik (who didn't lose a penny in the process).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think that probably explains why Sakic wasn't at all interested in keeping him, despite pursuing him as a UFA. Wasn't part of the deal.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I have more of an issue with teams not qualifying RFAs and then re-signing them for cheap, but even then it's not a big issue, at least not yet.
Even there, once the QO doesn't go through, the player is a UFA and has every right to say no to his former team instead of signing for less than the QO and go sign somewhere else. That's a risk the team takes when they try to pull that one because it gives the player an out. If the player is willing to negotiate that beforehand, that's still putting the power in their hands.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Even there, once the QO doesn't go through, the player is a UFA and has every right to say no to his former team instead of signing for less than the QO and go sign somewhere else. That's a risk the team takes when they try to pull that one because it gives the player an out. If the player is willing to negotiate that beforehand, that's still putting the power in their hands.

I know, that's why I said I don't really have that much of an issue, at least not yet.

It was more to serve the point that I have even less of an issue with what's going on with Orpik than what went down with DSP.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00