Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
So we’ve come to the conclusion that we’re better off without Soucy than buying out Mikheyev?

Only way that makes sense is if you truly believe Mikheyev will be back to thebpayer he was during his last season in Toronto. He should be healthier but he’s also no spring chicken, his career year in Toronto was during a prime age and with full health. We’re not getting that here.
Moving off of Mik is baked in assumption, nobody is arguing we should trade Soucy to keep Mk. We are arguing how to upgrade the roster even after moving off of Mik because there is not enough money.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Moving off of Mik is baked in assumption, nobody is arguing we should trade Soucy to keep Mk. We are arguing how to upgrade the roster even after moving off of Mik because there is not enough money.

How much money do you think the Canucks have this offseason?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
In that case I think I prefer Soucy over Hronek at 7-8M.

LD vs RD I know but Soucy and Zadorov can both play on their off sides

Also, I’ve seen people post rosters without Mikheyev where the Canucks still have money to play with

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
that's an extrapolation from a sample size of 7 games. it is very far from the certainty of something having already definitively occurred that you asserted in your original post.

the reality is that zadorov wants to be paid like a 20 minute dman, but he has no track record of consistently being one. there's no question that size in the playoffs has huge value, as myers is also proving every game for us. the question is whether teams can afford to devote top 4 cap to guys who have size but significant deficiencies elsewhere in their game that will be exposed in the regular season.

part of the cost of signing zadorov is that we will also need an above average bottom pair to play behind him to compensate for the inconsistency in play that zadorov brings compared to using that cap for a top 4 dman. if we do sign zadorov it will be because we have soucy for that role.

Good post it amazes me how much people are willing to skirt facts for narratives once the in fashion thing to do is shit on someone.

It's right back to the rebuild crowd of last year who bitched and moaned about Tocchet and the Hronek trade to no end. Difference being that because we're division champs that crowd has gone silent until we get knocked out.

Could you imagine being hired as a GM and another as President with your interviews being centered around competing with the Sedins et all and then just going with Lack and Markstrom who was struggling to be a NHL goalie at the time? Vrbata and Miller were good signings the core was just too old with no one to take the reigns
It does not surprise me that you two think this.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think realistically they'll move Milkheyev and move off Hronek if he sticks at a cap number above around $7M AAV.

I have a hard time seeing them moving any of the playoff contributors in Garland, Boeser or Soucy. You're almost guaranteed to get less value on the contract if you try to replace them in terms of those last three guys, plus they can't be very optimistic about contributions from the farm given the current status of Podz, Bains etc.

Like I said earlier, I think the first attempt will be to try to keep the blue line largely intact, move Mikheyev and try to find a top-six winger upgrade. I expect they're hoping Hronek, Zadorov and Myers are open to taking below market rate to stay with the team and allow them to upgrade the forwards.

Reactions: credulous

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Well that is the thing, we are going to be tight to the cap and the obvious sacrifices are going to be the 4th line and 3rd paring. If the philosophy is that our system can get more out of the players then we should just run with it and plug in kids and give them the opportunity to play and grow.
I don't really see an issue with playing PDG/Bains - Aman - Sasson, it's the 4th line, they will get like 10min a game? Let those be development minutes. We need to invest in them because the cap is going get even tigher the season after with the OEL cap penalty increasing.

I disagree that what I suggested offers zero depth in forwards.
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hog - Petey - Guentzel
Joshua - Lindholm - Pod

We are going to get guaranteed scoring from the 1st 2 lines, having guentzel and Lindholm is going to improve both PP1 and PP2 if we get a dedicated PP coach. I mean it doesn't need to be Lindholm or Guentzel but we need that level of an upgrade. Not sure how much ES scoring we can get out of Joshua - Lindholm but at least it will be physical and good defensively.

Like i said, there is a reason teams like the Avs play Ratanen with MacK and etc.. Paring elite players together increases the chance of getting more out of those players. You try to build that over buidling an above average 3rd line. That is how you increase the ceiling of the team.
okay, so you're saying stack the top 6 rather than overspending on the third line......and then you allocate $12+MM to the third line.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
How much money do you think the Canucks have this offseason?
it depends if we are happy with running back the same team or making improvements on the roster by adding:
1st line winger for petey - 6-8M
center depth for 3rd line - 6-7M
RHD (2nd, 3rd paring) - ?????

and who do we want to keep?
Zadorov - 4-5M?
Lindholm (center depth) - 6-7M
Joshua - 4M?
Hronek - 7M

who makes enough money to free up cap to fill holes
Mik - ~5M
Garland - ~5M
Boeser - ~6.7M
Soucy - 3.7M

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
We traded for Zadorov for a 3rd and the reason we couldn't get a winger at the TDL is because we don't have enough assets to trade. I don't think the assumption is that we will actually use the pick to draft someone, it will be used to upgrade the roster.

We lucked into that trade because Zadorov basically demanded a trade, went public about it literally right after the Leafs game just to make a statement "I'm done here."

Regardless, we didn't have the capspace to get anyone. We're likely to run into that problem again. If the only value we're getting back for Soucy is a 3rd then you wait to see if something opens up like a Zadorov. You don't trade him and cross your fingers, hoping that happens somewhere along the season.

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hog - Petey - Guentzel
Joshua - Lindholm - Pod

I'd say we're worse with that lineup than chasing after Bertuzzi/Toffoli/Duclair as cheaper options. Yes, Guentzel is undeniably the best player among them but Pod is so comically below what Garland brings that is almost completely neutralizes that line.

We're also relying heavily on Hoglander repeating the success he had during the regular season when the playoffs are showing he's far from a consistent player.

I'd rather go with:

Bertuzzi/Duclair - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Pettersson - Toffoli
Joshua - Suter/Blueger - Garland

Alternatively, don't sign Toffoli and try to ink both Bertuzzi and Duclair. Or anyone else in their respective price range.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Also, I’ve seen people post rosters without Mikheyev where the Canucks still have money to play with
I think the assumption with those calculation is the roster is pretty much the same as what we have now but with Bluegar as 3C and a 4-5M winger for Petey that is not Mik. So really no improvement anywhere really.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
i had a dream last night about after the season is over.

A well lit media room, buzzing with excitement and curiosity. An empty podium, a slew of reporters and the sound of someone approaching.
Mikheyev comes into frame, looking dreary yet resolute.
He steps up to the podium and addresses everyone in attendance. He's visibly shaken as he thanks everyone for coming in. His gratitude then extends to Canucks ownership and management. The realization of what this is about to be comes into focus for everyone in the room and its now silent. Dead silent except for Mikheyev's voice and light feedback through one of the mic's and speakers echoing into the room from down the hall.
After a broken slew of sentences that when strung together vaguely implies his retirement. The quote that media takes away is "since the ACL injury, you know, I , you know I worked so hard on rehab and the medical staff here did everything they could but i just cant ..like I cant get back to the level that I was at. Skating for me is such a big, such an important part of my game. I lost that gear and you know. I , I just feel like when i's not at my best i let people down. I cant play at the level I know I was at and this is something I just , I just have to move on from now. Again, thank you.

he walks away and the room erupts. .

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The interesting one for me is if they're actually really motivated to keep Lindholm, it comes down to Hronek vs. Lindholm in terms of the cap, I think. You aren't keeping both. Additionally, I would wager they are offered around the same contract.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
it depends if we are happy with running back the same team or making improvements on the roster by adding:

Zadorov - 4-5M?
Joshua - 4M?
Hronek - 7M

Mik - ~5M
Garland - ~5M
Boeser - ~6.7M
Soucy - 3.7M

To answer this. I'll list where I cap out on each player.

Zadorov: 5.5M
Joshua: 3.5M
Lindholm: 7M
Hronek: 7.5M

Anything above those numbers and I seriously consider letting them walk; or a trade in Hronek's case. I absolutely love what Joshua brings but he's not a 4M dollar player imo. Likewise, Zadorov has been fantastic but I don't think he's worth 6M. At least not if he also wants a 6-7 year deal.

Going from there, the order of priority for me is: Zadorov = Hronek > Joshua > Lindholm.

We start with defense and see if either price themselves out. If both want their top end, then we see where Joshua stands and so forth.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
We lucked into that trade because Zadorov basically demanded a trade, went public about it literally right after the Leafs game just to make a statement "I'm done here."

Regardless, we didn't have the capspace to get anyone. We're likely to run into that problem again. If the only value we're getting back for Soucy is a 3rd then you wait to see if something opens up like a Zadorov. You don't trade him and cross your fingers, hoping that happens somewhere along the season.

I'd say we're worse with that lineup than chasing after Bertuzzi/Toffoli/Duclair as cheaper options. Yes, Guentzel is undeniably the best player among them but Pod is so comically below what Garland brings that is almost completely neutralizes that line.

We're also relying heavily on Hoglander repeating the success he had during the regular season when the playoffs are showing he's far from a consistent player.

I'd rather go with:

Bertuzzi/Duclair - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Pettersson - Toffoli
Joshua - Suter/Blueger - Garland

Alternatively, don't sign Toffoli and try to ink both Bertuzzi and Duclair. Or anyone else in their respective price range.
I think the assumption is that with an elite winger with Petey, they can carry Hog. Basically you would expect Petey and Guentzel to maximize each other and hopefully both hit like 40 goals and if they can, whatever we get out of Hog is gravy. And that itself is far more valuable than what Garland and Joshua can get you, they together might get you 40goals and a bit more..
And really the tradeoff is going from a Joshua - XXX - Garland line to Joshua - Lindholm - XXX line and the total point production from it shouldn't be that much lower. With the former, we get like maybe 40pt-40pt-50pt. With the latter, we might get like 40pt-60pt-20pt but in exchange we get insurance for any Miller/Petey injury and we shift the money towards higher ceiling players with special team utility (Lindholm + Guentzel).

Having Bluegar as the 3C is not going to help us compete for the cup and Toffoli is not going to be the piece that will maximize Petey.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think the assumption with those calculation is the roster is pretty much the same as what we have now but with Bluegar as 3C and a 4-5M winger for Petey that is not Mik. So really no improvement anywhere really.
This same roster with Lindholm/Mikh replaced by a top 6 winger sounds pretty good to me. Not sure how losing Soucy at $3M and being one injury away from a super thin blueline helps at all.

Not to mention that the Canucks big blueline has been very effective this season, it’s not easy to find big dmen that can skate and handle 16-20 mins per night.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
To answer this. I'll list where I cap out on each player.

Zadorov: 5.5M
Joshua: 3.5M
Lindholm: 7M
Hronek: 7.5M

Anything above those numbers and I seriously consider letting them walk; or a trade in Hronek's case. I absolutely love what Joshua brings but he's not a 4M dollar player imo. Likewise, Zadorov has been fantastic but I don't think he's worth 6M. At least not if he also wants a 6-7 year deal.

Going from there, the order of priority for me is: Zadorov = Hronek > Joshua > Lindholm.

We start with defense and see if either price themselves out. If both want their top end, then we see where Joshua stands and so forth.
i think the higher level problem i see is, how do we improve the team, not how do we run back the same team.

Weakness for us right now is lack of scoring winger that can play with Petey and lack of center depth past Miller/Petey.
The 2nd weakness is RD and the lack of offense from the bottom 2 defense parings.

I think we need to think about how we improve on that first and think about which players to retain that will facilitate that.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Zadorov - 4-5M?
Joshua - 4M?
Hronek - 7M

Mik - ~5M
Garland - ~5M
Boeser - ~6.7M
Soucy - 3.7M

That's not what I'm asking. I'm curious what amount of space you think the Canucks have this off-season. Currently, they have just over 27m (LTIR) in space with 14/23 contracts. Hronek and Silovs being the only notable RFAs.

AFP Analytics contract predictor is from the first half of the year and will have the full-season update in a few weeks so the following numbers are based on incomplete information and will definitely change:

RFAs:
Hronek 7y/8.4m or 3y/6.3m

UFAs:
Joshua 3y/3m
Lindholm 7y/8m
Blueger 2y/2.5m
Lafferty 2y/1.7m

Zadorov 4y/5m
Myers 2y/2.7m
Cole 2y/3.1m

DeSmith 1y/2.0m

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
This same roster with Lindholm/Mikh replaced by a top 6 winger sounds pretty good to me. Not sure how losing Soucy at $3M and being one injury away from a super thin blueline helps at all.

Not to mention that the Canucks big blueline has been very effective this season, it’s not easy to find big dmen that can skate and handle 16-20 mins per night.
I mean at that point you are just trading off having a better 3C vs having a better 3LD. You can argue that we are one Miller/Petey injury away from having Bluegar in your top6. Also the tradeoff is shifting Soucy's money over to the right side to get Tanev back. So yeah, less LD depth but better RD depth.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

And despite having enough capable defenders to spread the minutes around, it's becoming clear we leaned too heavily on Hughes/Hronek and they appear to be running on fumes. cutting corners on the back end next year would be a huge mistake iMO. In an ideal world, we have Juulsen as our 7 and Woo or someone else as 8.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Well that is the thing, we are going to be tight to the cap and the obvious sacrifices are going to be the 4th line and 3rd paring. If the philosophy is that our system can get more out of the players then we should just run with it and plug in kids and give them the opportunity to play and grow.
I don't really see an issue with playing PDG/Bains - Aman - Sasson, it's the 4th line, they will get like 10min a game? Let those be development minutes. We need to invest in them because the cap is going get even tigher the season after with the OEL cap penalty increasing.

I disagree that what I suggested offers zero depth in forwards.
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hog - Petey - Guentzel
Joshua - Lindholm - Pod

We are going to get guaranteed scoring from the 1st 2 lines, having guentzel and Lindholm is going to improve both PP1 and PP2 if we get a dedicated PP coach. I mean it doesn't need to be Lindholm or Guentzel but we need that level of an upgrade. Not sure how much ES scoring we can get out of Joshua - Lindholm but at least it will be physical and good defensively.

Like i said, there is a reason teams like the Avs play Ratanen with MacK and etc.. Paring elite players together increases the chance of getting more out of those players. You try to build that over buidling an above average 3rd line. That is how you increase the ceiling of the team.
I think Tocchet's system will have a large part of the kind of player the team needs.
Pettersson just might not be that kind of player. EP's stated before he wanted to play like P. Forsberg the problem is he doesn't have the physical structure. He tries but Forsberg was a beast.
Tocchet wants board guys and EP wasn't drafted because he was a boards guy, he seems to be trying to change his game to suit but in doing so he is going backwards on what made him drafted at #5.
So just maybe moving him might make sense if Tocchet is influencing the team structure.
Boeser has been riding the skirts of Miller and whomever. But if Miller gets hurt or sick then the team loses two players. BB isn't fast enough to be a F1, not nasty enough to win board battles and too predictable, cross blue line, then curl, he can't drive the net, Too nice a guy.
Cole's playoff experience helped carry the team into this year's real season but next year most of this group with have gained that experience and might make him less necessary.
Hronek's skill set mirrors Hughes for the most part but there is only one puck, so is he redundant? Certainly his position will increase his trade value and there are teams that will step up to pay that price. The Canucks still have 4 RHD prospects that might fill in his spot over the next couple of years. The cap space saved might get higher skilled larger players too.
Joshua will get a raise but not to the 4 million suggested by some. He had exactly 1 point more in the easy season than Mikheyev and the consensus is Mikheyev is paid way too much.

These real season games show which players or types of players this team needs.

Canucks might toss the idea of trading Demko too, he has had injuries every year the last 5 years.

I am sure trade packages could be made up to teams like Columbus, Buffalo, Ottawa, Utah or even the NJD.

Other than proposing which players the team will get, which is much different than those fans or the team might want, I work on re-tasking money already spent and suggesting a trade that might add a little to the total.

The confidence that Rugherford and Allvin have created by making GOOD trades make the idea of improvement not just HOPE.
They will make or have made already. IMO the OEL buyout was not necessary especially if Florida's contract is taken account. This season even with an additional 2+ mil added the team had LTIR space unused that would have made up the difference.

Essentially this group have 13 new players added over the last year and very limited cap space, think of what they could do with an additional 12 million they get if Boeser and Hronek are traded, or an additional 22 million if other are moved as well adding to the existing 24+ mil in estimated cap space.

IF they moved EP the return will be outstanding, Hronek will be fantastic, Boeser would be more and Demko substantial.

It sounds like gutting the team but there are many good players/prospects/FA's and RFA's.
Tocchet system has changed the way players play and their value to the system.

Any players Rutherford/Allvin get will likely offset the losses. Their running the team will make Vancouver more of a destination rather than undesirable to FA's. The weather is helping ;)

This year is kind of a one off so far.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
That's not what I'm asking. I'm curious what amount of space you think the Canucks have this off-season. Currently, they have just over 27m (LTIR) in space with 14/23 contracts. Hronek and Silovs being the only notable RFAs.

AFP Analytics contract predictor is from the first half of the year and will have the full-season update in a few weeks so the following numbers are based on incomplete information and will definitely change:

RFAs:

UFAs:
Joshua 3y/3m
Lindholm 7y/8m
Blueger 2y/2.5m
Lafferty 2y/1.7m

Zadorov 4y/5m
Myers 2y/2.7m
Cole 2y/3.1m

DeSmith 1y/2.0m
I am not sure why we need to think about it from the perspective of how much money we need vs who we want to get to improve the team.
I think based on how this management team has worked so far, it's more of a.. we want this guy to fill this need and we'll move XYZ to facilitate that. So it's more like looking at it from the perspective of

Suter - Miller - Boeser (fine)
???? - Petey - ???? (not fine, need 1st line winger so need to budget 6-8M for one)
???? - ???? - Garland (ok do we want better center or bluegar is good enough for a cup contending team? Can Joshua - Garland carry whoever or we get more utility by shifting the money towards center)
4th line (whatever)

Hughes - ???? (keep Hronek?)
??? - ???? (Keep Zadorov or move Soucy up to anchor 2nd paring? Who is RD? Tanev?)
Soucy - ???? ( We chill with Juulsen and wait for Willander?)

Once you start penciling who you would want in those ??? then you look at how much money you have and what tradeoffs you need to make.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

RFAs:

UFAs:
Joshua 3y/3m
Lindholm 7y/8m
Blueger 2y/2.5m
Lafferty 2y/1.7m

Zadorov 4y/5m
Myers 2y/2.7m
Cole 2y/3.1m

DeSmith 1y/2.0m
The 3 year for Hronek is a no brainer if we could convince him to sign. Walsh is such a wildcard though, who knows what kind of nonsense he's whispering into Hronek's ear.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Random:

If we don’t retain Lindholm, would you guys do Mikheyev for Tavares straight up?

Mikheyev has two years left, Tavares has one.

Mikheyev + Lindholm’s next contract = Tavares + $1MM depth player

• Wow
Reactions: vancityluongo

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Random:

If we don’t retain Lindholm, would you guys do Mikheyev for Tavares straight up?

Mikheyev has two years left, Tavares has one.

Mikheyev + Lindholm’s next contract = Tavares + $1MM depth player
god no, that's like 6M more expensive

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I am not sure why we need to think about it from the perspective of how much money we need vs who we want to get to improve the team.
I think based on how this management team has worked so far, it's more of a.. we want this guy to fill this need and we'll move XYZ to facilitate that. So it's more like looking at it from the perspective of

To me, it's always about how much money you have at the outset. Then the next question is do we need to create more space in order to get our targets. The final check is do we want to part with the assets or future capspace (via buyout) in order to create that space.

You can look at it differently but I feel it's very important to not lose sight of the one knowable, available cap space, when building out a fantasy GM roster.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
So we’ve come to the conclusion that we’re better off without Soucy than buying out Mikheyev?

Only way that makes sense is if you truly believe Mikheyev will be back to thebpayer he was during his last season in Toronto. He should be healthier but he’s also no spring chicken, his career year in Toronto was during a prime age and with full health. We’re not getting that here.
Yea buying out Mikheyev is the most obvious play here. He’s providing replacement level production and saving $2.5M and $1.5M the next two seasons after replacing him is the way to go. Then you can play “replace Soucy dumpster diving” when Mikheyev’s cap penalty becomes a slight detriment.

Only way moving Soucy makes sense is if you’re making a bigger play for someone like Guentzel, and you need to shed that $2M off the bottom of the roster.

Reactions: arttk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad