Confirmed with Link: COL/WSH Grubauer, Orpik for Avs 2018 2nd round pick

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Avs knew or cared where Orpik would go after they bought him out. It was just the cost to acquire Grubauer.

Reactions: MacBradley

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If Washington bought out Orpik, every team would have had a chance to sign him too, but the league closed the loophole that would have allowed him to re-sign with the Caps. So I don't think the fact that 30 teams had a chance to sign him, makes the league comfortable with this kind of move either.

There are very few scenarios where this would play out again, but I would bet it will be a bargaining chip during CBA negotiations next time. Glad the Avs finally get to benefit from a CBA loophole for once though. Even a minor one.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
With the buyout, this boils down to a trade of Grubauer for a 2nd and Cash (which includes cap space). Trades are no longer allowed to include cash, so I can kind of see the aspect that Waingro is getting at.

But If it gets addressed in the next CBA, it will probably be as simple as disallowing a bought out player from signing with the team that bought him out as well as the team he last played a game for.

It is a very minor thing, though. Washington paid a price for us to take Orpik, in that we got a goalie very similar to Varly back when we traded for him (SV was a bit younger and had slightly worse stats), but for a 2nd, instead of a 2nd AND a 1st.

So one could look at it like Washington paid a 1st round pick equivalent to get rid of most of Orpiks contract. And the Avs got that value in exchange for $3M in cash and $4M in cap hit spread over 2 years.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I have zero problems with it. We got a up and coming goalie, they re-signed their #1D man and a solid veteran Dman. Everyone wins.

I initially thought this part was referring to Orpik :laugh:

But yeah I'm super happy with this trade. Not to mention we got a guy who could have easily gone 2nd round with Ranta. So I feel this was a big win for us.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I initially thought this part was referring to Orpik :laugh:

But yeah I'm super happy with this trade. Not to mention we got a guy who could have easily gone 2nd round with Ranta. So I feel this was a big win for us.

I have knowledge that no one should listen to in regards to prospects but from what I've read he seems like he could be a steal for sure. Definitely one of the bigger perks of HF

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Any chance he is given 50 gp and varlamov only 30 if they are both healthy?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That probably depends on how they’re playing. I’d imagine Varly will be the 1A option and Grubauer 1B unless one significantly outplays the other.

That was the impression I got from Bednar as well in that recent NBC article:

PHT: If Semyon Varlamov shows he’s 100 percent healthy and with Philipp now in the fold, do you have a percentage split in mind for both guys this season?

BEDNAR
: “It’s hard to say. I think there’s been some inconsistencies in Varly’s game because of his injury history over the last couple of years, right? We eased him into the season a little bit last year to make sure that he was feeling confident in himself and that he was feeling right, and it worked out. He had a tough break at the end because there’s a collision and he hurts his MCL. I don’t think that you can prevent that as a goalie. He’s there to make the save. It’s not something that was tied to his previous injury.

“We need Varly to stay healthy and when he’s been healthy, especially last year, as he started to play midseason and go he’s proven that he’s a No. 1. Now you have a guy like Philipp Grubauer coming in and he’s hungry to be a No. 1, he’s pushing to be a No. 1. Certainly last year he took over the net at times in Washington. But at the end of the day it made him a better goalie and it made Braden Holtby a better goalie and he ends up going in and winning them the Stanley Cup. We want the best out of both of these guys and we’ll ride the hot goalie at times, but I’d like to see Varly stay healthy and be able to regain his form because I think he’s trending that way and it’s going to be a matter of health for him. I know he’s one of our hardest working guys and a real hungry guy and I feel like Philipp Grubauer is hungry to prove that he’s a No. 1 as well.”

Q&A: Colorado Avalanche head coach Jared Bednar

Reactions: Avs_19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad