Confirmed with Link: [COL/NYR] Holden for a 4th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
And that article is exactly why Roy is out of a job. He can't evaluate talent. Period. Nick Holden is at best a 3rd pairing d-man probably best suited in 6th/7th d-man roll. I don't think there are too many scouts/professionals that would disagree with this assessment. Not to mention the advanced stats will back this evaluation.

When you have Roy saying things like Holden is one of my better d-man, there is a problem. At best last year he was the 4th best d-man on our team.

So glad Roy is no longer part of the organization. It sounds like he is just off his rocker. I'm glad Sakic is still around it seems like he can actually evaluate the state of the team and get rid of dead weight like Holden.

This is just further proof that Roy was probably behind most of the questionable decisions regarding personnel and contracts.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
To be fair, he did say Holden is a #4-6 defenseman so it's not like he was calling him a top pair guy. I just thought it was funny he took the time to call up AV about him.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Odd how HFNYR has been going crazy over the last 3 years because AV can't assess talent either.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
And that article is exactly why Roy is out of a job. He can't evaluate talent. Period. Nick Holden is at best a 3rd pairing d-man probably best suited in 6th/7th d-man roll. I don't think there are too many scouts/professionals that would disagree with this assessment. Not to mention the advanced stats will back this evaluation.

When you have Roy saying things like Holden is one of my better d-man, there is a problem. At best last year he was the 4th best d-man on our team.

So glad Roy is no longer part of the organization. It sounds like he is just off his rocker. I'm glad Sakic is still around it seems like he can actually evaluate the state of the team and get rid of dead weight like Holden.

This is just further proof that Roy was probably behind most of the questionable decisions regarding personnel and contracts.

Obviously you didn't even read the article. Roy said he is a #4 (or as you said, our 4th best) to a #6.

And its you who has the poor evaluation here. But, I guess the Rangers have no idea what they are doing either:sarcasm:. Holden is not this joke some of you make him out to be. #4 to a #6 on a good team is spot on.

You are right about one thing though, when Roy or anyone is saying Holden was one of our better DMen that is a problem. That's a problem with our roster and lack of good Dmen. Like he said, on a good team Holden is a #6.

dear god

"I don't know why Pat called me out of the blue"

sabotage. that's why Alain.

Do what now? How is that sabotage? Interesting and curious? Sure. But Sabotage?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I saw this thread and feared that the trade was reversed and we got ourselves a Holden again..

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
How the hell is this "news"? Oh, well I guess it is to the Roy-hating crowd (i.e.--the people who blame everything that went wrong with the team on him), but take a step back and look at the time when Holden was here...he was one of the better defensemen the Avs had, and that should tell you how bad the Avs D was.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It's not a dead horse and it's literally is news to hear what our former coach and VP did after the trade while he was still employed here.

No, in the grand scheme of things it really isn't...because I don't believe it's uncommon for coaches to talk about recently traded players to their new coach. I mean, I'm not deleting anything because no one is breaking the rules, but it's really comical to find the people I'd expect to be in here using something as innocuous as Roy reaching out to AV and telling him about Holden (and accurately referring to him as "one of his better defensemen"...because sadly that was true for Holden's time here) as a means of "OMG guyz! See!"

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
It might be more fuel for the Roy haters, but it is still news and I appreciate that it was posted.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
How Roy used Holden for three years tells us everything about how he viewed him.

It doesn't sound like it was Roy's idea to trade him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Obviously you didn't even read the article. Roy said he is a #4 (or as you said, our 4th best) to a #6.

And its you who has the poor evaluation here. But, I guess the Rangers have no idea what they are doing either:sarcasm:. Holden is not this joke some of you make him out to be. #4 to a #6 on a good team is spot on.

You are right about one thing though, when Roy or anyone is saying Holden was one of our better DMen that is a problem. That's a problem with our roster and lack of good Dmen. Like he said, on a good team Holden is a #6.

Do what now? How is that sabotage? Interesting and curious? Sure. But Sabotage?

I misread the part about him being 4-6, I thought that was what NYR/Vigneault was saying which is a fine assessment. I thought Roy was saying he should be higher and was one of our best d-men. But I realize I misread that part.

My assessment though of Holden is not far off, I think the advanced stats will back me on this one. he should be a bottom pairing guy, that's it, nothing more, nothing less. If he is used there he is a good player. If he is used higher not so much.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
To me, the most insightful thing about it is how far apart Roy and Sakic seemed at the end. Saying "you just got one of my best defensmen" sounds pretty wistful...and it's not like the return was good enough to make Roy feel comfortable losing one of his better defenders.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
My favourite part is how he says Holden is anywhere from a #4 to a #6 on a good team. Yet he played him top pairing minutes here. Telling.

I still love him though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I misread the part about him being 4-6, I thought that was what NYR/Vigneault was saying which is a fine assessment. I thought Roy was saying he should be higher and was one of our best d-men. But I realize I misread that part.

My assessment though of Holden is not far off, I think the advanced stats will back me on this one. he should be a bottom pairing guy, that's it, nothing more, nothing less. If he is used there he is a good player. If he is used higher not so much.

The advanced stats absolutely don't say that. Here is a link to his HERO chart.

http://public.tableau.com/shared/WC6D74ZMN?:display_count=yes

The only areas he isn't middle pairing for are goals per 60 (top pairing) and first assists per 60 (bottom pairing). He is pretty much right smack in the middle of being a middle pairing advanced stats player.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
How the hell is this "news"? Oh, well I guess it is to the Roy-hating crowd (i.e.--the people who blame everything that went wrong with the team on him), but take a step back and look at the time when Holden was here...he was one of the better defensemen the Avs had, and that should tell you how bad the Avs D was.
There were at least three defenders (EJ, Barrie, Beauchemin) who were and are much better than Holden. Holden was never one of the better defensemen. Also safe and dependable??? Just another example of Roy watching different games than everybody else.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
There were at least three defenders (EJ, Barrie, Beauchemin) who were and are much better than Holden. Holden was never one of the better defensemen. Also safe and dependable??? Just another example of Roy watching different games than everybody else.

You should re-read what I said. I agreed w/ Roy's assessment of Holden when you look at Holden's entire time in an Avalanche uniform. You mention 3 players from last year only, but to go off of that, Roy was still accurate in describing him as "anywhere from a #4 to a #6", so as a #4 he'd be right behind those three you mentioned.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I thought Holden looked great in the 1st round against Minnesota in 2014. He just looked really bad at a lot of other times.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
#6 on a good team, maybe. #4, no.

He was thrust into that role here, but it doesn't mean on a good team he should be playing middle pairing minutes

"...depending on where his game was."

Saying the absolute best your game is capable of taking you to is a #4, is not some lofty endorsement. You could say that about a lot of crappy D men who are capable of playing decent a few times throughout a season.

I'm sure it never occurred to anyone that Roy probably also gave him some negative reviews of his game, and positions he struggles with, and what the best way to coach him was, but AV obviously wouldn't air that publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad