Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] D Devon Toews signs extension with the Avalanche (7 years, $7.25M AAV)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That looks like...an actual "discount" he took? At least, compared to the stupidity he could've got on the open market. But i guess playing out the rest of your career with Makar is...enticing.

As expected, the term takes him a little bit further than you'd ideally like...but that's easily worth it for the Avs in the meantime. Especially at a very reasonable cap hit for the perfect top-pairing complement to their superstar Makar.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I wouldn't call it absurd, its a very good deal though. 1M more than Weegar who is essential the same defenseman. At the end of the day Toews is still a #2, an elite #2 but still a #2. The first 4 years of the deal should be good before we see amy noticeable fall off.
Toews would be a #1 on a lot of teams including the Flames

Reactions: AvsFan29

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
What a steal for a top 20 dman in the NHL. The guy is a #1D on at least 20 NHL teams.
Not on Canucks, we have Hughes who is a top 5 to 10 dman

Makar
Fox
Heiskenan
Hedman
Hughes
McAvoy
Josi
Dahlin
Pietrangelo
Karlsson
Seider
Pesce

I take those 12 plus some others over Toews. So he would not be number 1 on 20 teams. Maybe 15 or less

Ledge And Dairy

Out of curiosity, why not post current cards of both?
Ask JFresh

Toews would be a #1 on a lot of teams including the Flames
You genuinely think Toews pushes Andersson of the 1st powerplay unit? Again Weegar is a better overall defenseman than Andersson because he is more well rounded, but Andersson is still the #1.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Toews is one of the top 10 D men in the league....but truth to be told, Toews cannot carry a team as a true #1. He is a perfect top shelf complementary player.

He signed a contract that a great/spectacular #2 D man should sign. Win-Win all around.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Toews did a discount because it was likely the most Colorado could go and they will be a contender for the next several years to come. If he wants more then what he got then he goes to a new city, relearns a new city, relearns new people, and would be on a non contending team. This is a case of toews having his cake and eat it too. Sacrifice 1.5 mil a year but stay where you are and where your friends are. This was a no brainer from toews perspective.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
He’s largely a product of Makar making him one of the most overrated D men in the league imo

While playing with Makar 100% helps him, he actually has looked equally as good without him for big stretches.

Last season in the 22 games without Makar he held is own without issue. The Avs system also mix and matches D men a ton, so they don’t exclusively play every minute together.

That said, I don’t think Toews is a world beater on defense, but he is not getting paid like one. He is getting paid like a great #2 d man.

1697289035294.png

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
Ask JFresh

You genuinely think Toews pushes Andersson of the 1st powerplay unit? Again Weegar is a better overall defenseman than Andersson because he is more well rounded, but Andersson is still the #1.
Haha I know you’re a Flames homer, but Toews is much better than Andersson and Weegar!

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He’s largely a product of Makar making him one of the most overrated D men in the league imo
Over the last 3 seasons, Toews' on-ice results without Makar are pretty much exactly the same as Makar's without Toews.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Not on Canucks, we have Hughes who is a top 5 to 10 dman

Makar
Fox
Heiskenan
Hedman
Hughes
McAvoy
Josi
Dahlin
Pietrangelo
Karlsson
Seider
Pesce

I take those 12 plus some others over Toews. So he would not be number 1 on 20 teams. Maybe 15 or less
Haters gonna hate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad