Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] D Devon Toews signs extension with the Avalanche (7 years, $7.25M AAV)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Avs need Toews, but his next contract will cripple them as he is deserving of 9M. This will be interesting.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Happy for Toews. We'll have to wait and see what the dollars and term look like.

But, if it is a long-term extension — I can't help but feel it would be the wrong move for the long-term competitiveness of the Avs. That would be rewarding a player for winning a past Stanley Cup, rather than committing to the most effective use of their cap-space to chase future Stanley Cups.

Tampa has paid through the nose to get out of this jam before and it is now affecting their competitiveness.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
could get 9+ as a UFA but will do 8x8 type thing(maybe slightly less) to stay with this group

Geeze i didnt realize hes already 29(turning 30 this Feb.)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Very interested in seeing what this ends up being...

Toews is so good I think he would have easily gotten 7x$9M+ on the open market.

So if the Avs give 8 years, I think ~$8.5M would be fair value. Anything under that and I think he gave the Avs a discount to keep playing with Cale.

And, I expect that contract to be pretty bad by year 4-5 and ugly by years 7-8... But the Avs contender window is now and for the next ~2-3 years at most. Toews gives us the best chance to win again in the next 2 years so I think it makes sense to sign him.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Happy for Toews. We'll have to wait and see what the dollars and term look like.

But, if it is a long-term extension — I can't help but feel it would be the wrong move for the long-term competitiveness of the Avs. That would be rewarding a player for winning a past Stanley Cup, rather than committing to the most effective use of their cap-space to chase future Stanley Cups.

Tampa has paid through the nose to get out of this jam before and it is now affecting their competitiveness.
Yeah but that’s just business. Players earn basically nothing for 3 years, some players then will take a bridge deal. If you’re winning Cups during that time eventually the player is going to say ok it’s my turn to think for myself. Tampa has paid big time but they also have multiple Cup banners and been to 3 consecutive SCF before last season. I’m sure Toews would love to to help out Colorado on a deal but my gut is this time around he’ll want to get as much as he can even if it does cripple the Avs in the future

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Worst decision isles made. I was ok with it at the time but in hindsight it was the wrong decision. Happy Toews found a nice home with the AVS

Not to pile on but I always thought it was unusual how Toews was such a darkhorse, coming from nowhere to be a great young defenseman and the team that knew him best just gave him up.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Avs need Toews, but his next contract will cripple them as he is deserving of 9M. This will be interesting.
Don’t think so.

They can always do with less depth on D than they have now.

Makar and Toews can both play 25-30 every night.

Split them and pair them with under 3m guys and you have your D. The rest 2-3 guys can earn 0,8-1,5. That’s roughly 30m on defense.

edit: With Byram extended that’s still under 40m on D.

Reactions: Azrael89

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Very interested in seeing what this ends up being...

Toews is so good I think he would have easily gotten 7x$9M+ on the open market.

So if the Avs give 8 years, I think ~$8.5M would be fair value. Anything under that and I think he gave the Avs a discount to keep playing with Cale.

And, I expect that contract to be pretty bad by year 4-5 and ugly by years 7-8... But the Avs contender window is now and for the next ~2-3 years at most. Toews gives us the best chance to win again in the next 2 years so I think it makes sense to sign him.
I think the Avs have no choice. Sign him and give the best opportunity to compete for the remaining cup window and then accept that his contract will be a burden down the road. Like every teams does....

That is the circle of life of a cup contender.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
It will cripple them if he leaves, he’s one of the best d men in the league. Get rid of Byram or Girard to keep him. They are not and never will be on his level.

Reactions: Azrael89

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It will cripple them if he leaves, he’s one of the best d men in the league. Get rid of Byram or Girard to keep him. They are not and never will be on his level.
Girard's a powder puff and a liability in the playoffs. His contract will be an issue (if its not already). Getting rid of Girard should be plan A. Signing Toews is important for competing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad