Confirmed with Link: [COL / AZ] Soderberg for Connauton & 3rd Round Pick

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This trade is ming boggling stupid if a replacement doesn't come in.

Just heard Dater speculating on why this happened and a few others on twitter.

Wanted to give the chance to Jost and Compher? That would be fine if either of the two actually beat out Soda last year, but he was better than both.

Wanted to out of his final year on the contract? Ok, but why? He is our 2nd best centre untill Jost/Compher has proven otherwise

Clear cap space? We had 35M and now we have 38M. Are we really gonna add close to 40M to our payroll these next few weeks? No, his salary wasn't in the way for anyone else.

These reasons spitted out really makes zero sense. We are supposed to try to win now, and we sent away a good "rental" for us for a 3rd rounder. We are a worse team than yesterday.
Put it this way, if Avs could win the cup with Soderberg, they very well could without him because he had like 2 points in the playoffs and was pretty much none factor. Now whether or not you believe that Avs need to get a top 6 forward or 2 to take the next step and win the cup, that's not gonna change with or without Soderberg. Bottom line is, Avs do need a legit 2nd line player regardless the Soderberg trade

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Soderberg wasn’t a major playoff force but I’m not sure you can call an OT assist in a series changing game a non factor

He also had a great regular season. As in, worth more than his sizeable contract great. He will be missed, but hopefully the plan is to put his cap space to good use.

Reactions: klozge

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Soderberg was gonna walk as a UFA next year anyway, and as I mentioned, he wasnt gonna be the difference maker for the Avs winning the cup or going little further in the playoffs in his last year with this team. I'm not sweating this trade. I'll be disappointed if Avs dont get any 2nd line help and that's with or without Soderberg

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Asset management is a key aspect of being a good general manager. This move may not make sense now, but what is coming perhaps makes it clear. Getting any value for a soon to be 34 UFA is a positive if you do not seem them in your plans. That 3 extra million in cap space could be the difference in allowing future flexibility or landing a top end talent via trade or free agency. It is too early to tell with a trade like this and while I am concerned about lacking a 2c (thanks again lottery odds) right now I trust that something else is coming.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Asset management is a key aspect of being a good general manager. This move may not make sense now, but what is coming perhaps makes it clear. Getting any value for a soon to be 34 UFA is a positive if you do not seem them in your plans. That 3 extra million in cap space could be the difference in allowing future flexibility or landing a top end talent via trade or free agency. It is too early to tell with a trade like this and while I am concerned about lacking a 2c (thanks again lottery odds) right now I trust that something else is coming.

This. Plus having an extra third is never a bad thing. You're still solidly in good player territory there.

I like the move a lot as long as the capspace is used for adding more to the team.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I haven't been following the off season very good but...

Panarin, yes thank you even though I feel Russian players come with a higher risk since they have their own KHL league. If happy and 100% effort, then yes.

Zuc, no

I like Zuc but his best years are most probably over, he is kind of small and not physical enough.

Duchene or Statsny, hmmm, no for Statsny and I highly doubt Duchene wants to play for Colorado again.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hilarious that people are judging the trade before anything has been done with the cap space. The extra 3M is an asset that could be used to improve the team. That being said, we better do something with the cap space.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Both a Varly and Panarin combo takes us to the cap floor , combine Rants raise with the loss of Barries money and we are still at the floor. ExtensIons coming for Z and Girard leave us with lots of cap space still. Cole comes off he books at the same time as Byram coming out of his ELC and Calvert at the same as a Landy raise.

Things are looking really good . Fits like a glove get it all done Joe

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Sign Mikko, Kerfoot, RFAs, and one FA and the cap space is already below 10mil.

Yeah, if that FA is a 10m per player. :D

39m in cap space.

Mikko - 11m
Zads - 4m
Compher - 3m
Kerfoot - 3m

18m left. Can easily get two, very good players.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yeah, if that FA is a 10m per player. :D

39m in cap space.

Mikko - 11m
Zads - 4m
Compher - 3m
Kerfoot - 3m

18m left. Can easily get two, very good players.

I forgot to mention a trade. I was playing with capfriendly earlier today and I ended up with 10mil while getting Kadri, Zucc and re-signing our RFAs.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster
FORWARDS (13)
Right wing: Mikko Rantanen ($10,000,000) - Micheal Ferland ($3,500,000) - Matt Calvert ($2,850,000) - Martin Kaut ($894,167)
Centre: Nathan MacKinnon ($6,300,000) - Tyson Jost ($885,833) - J.T. Compher ($3,000,000) - Alexander Kerfoot ($3,500,000) - Shane Bowers ($925,000)
Left wing: Artemi Panarin ($12,000,000) - Gabriel Landeskog ($5,571,429) - Matt Nieto ($1,975,000) - Vladislav Kamenev ($1,000,000)
DEFENSE (7)
Right: Tyson Barrie ($5,500,000) - Erik Johnson ($6,000,000) - Cale Makar ($880,833) - Ryan Graves ($800,000)
Left: Ian Cole ($4,250,000) - Samuel Girard ($728,333) - Nikita Zadorov ($3,500,000)
GOALTENDER (2)
Philipp Grubauer ($3,333,333) - Pavel Francouz ($950,000)
AHL BURIED (2)
Mark Barberio ($375,000) - Kevin Connauton ($300,000)
BUYOUTS (1)
Brooks Orpik ($1,500,000)
DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Cap Hit: $80,518,928
Cap Space: $981,072

This is with one big signing, one smallish one, and our RFAs...all at prices at or below what I have seen speculated. Still have one roster spot to fill, and under a million to do so. Tell me again how we are swimming in cap space? The following year, with no cap raise, we would have $13.2M to sign Barrie, Jost, Girard, Francouz, and Neito (and still be at 22 on the roster). I would hope that Sakic can do better on each of these contracts, as a little bit here and there adds up....but I would not count on it.

Yes, if we sign nobody, we would have a fair bit of cap space that could be used to earn perks from strapped teams. And it is even likely that we cannot sign any UFAs given that if someone wants to play on the beach, we don't have much of a shot at signing them....nothing we can do short of throwing WAY too much money at them.

Link: Minimalist - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Oh, I also wanted to point out that the difference in taxes for each team is not as horrendous as some make it out to be. A lot of the differences can be mitigated based on residency, signing bonuses, and the like. Plus the standard crap that rich folks use to get out of paying the advertised rates (hell, even middle class folks use a lot of them...I certainly do).

Any team that signs Panarin is going to be up against the cap. He’s a premier player and it’s a huge signing. Panthers, Rangers, Islanders would all be in the same boat.

The Avs have to decide If they value him or two mid tier guys to take the roster to the next level. It would be nice to have cap space, but most on this board want Sakic to be more aggressive and part of that aggression in spending to the cap.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster
FORWARDS (13)
Right wing: Mikko Rantanen ($10,000,000) - Micheal Ferland ($3,500,000) - Matt Calvert ($2,850,000) - Martin Kaut ($894,167)
Centre: Nathan MacKinnon ($6,300,000) - Tyson Jost ($885,833) - J.T. Compher ($3,000,000) - Alexander Kerfoot ($3,500,000) - Shane Bowers ($925,000)
Left wing: Artemi Panarin ($12,000,000) - Gabriel Landeskog ($5,571,429) - Matt Nieto ($1,975,000) - Vladislav Kamenev ($1,000,000)
DEFENSE (7)
Right: Tyson Barrie ($5,500,000) - Erik Johnson ($6,000,000) - Cale Makar ($880,833) - Ryan Graves ($800,000)
Left: Ian Cole ($4,250,000) - Samuel Girard ($728,333) - Nikita Zadorov ($3,500,000)
GOALTENDER (2)
Philipp Grubauer ($3,333,333) - Pavel Francouz ($950,000)
AHL BURIED (2)
Mark Barberio ($375,000) - Kevin Connauton ($300,000)
BUYOUTS (1)
Brooks Orpik ($1,500,000)
DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Cap Hit: $80,518,928
Cap Space: $981,072

This is with one big signing, one smallish one, and our RFAs...all at prices at or below what I have seen speculated. Still have one roster spot to fill, and under a million to do so. Tell me again how we are swimming in cap space? The following year, with no cap raise, we would have $13.2M to sign Barrie, Jost, Girard, Francouz, and Neito (and still be at 22 on the roster). I would hope that Sakic can do better on each of these contracts, as a little bit here and there adds up....but I would not count on it.

Yes, if we sign nobody, we would have a fair bit of cap space that could be used to earn perks from strapped teams. And it is even likely that we cannot sign any UFAs given that if someone wants to play on the beach, we don't have much of a shot at signing them....nothing we can do short of throwing WAY too much money at them.

Link: Minimalist - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Oh, I also wanted to point out that the difference in taxes for each team is not as horrendous as some make it out to be. A lot of the differences can be mitigated based on residency, signing bonuses, and the like. Plus the standard crap that rich folks use to get out of paying the advertised rates (hell, even middle class folks use a lot of them...I certainly do).
Ferland @ 3.5M??

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I know the Bread Man would be huge for scoring depth, but I'm when is the last time a top flight UFA actually won a cup with a team the signed with? (I genuinely don't know and am asking)

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Okay guys, all you saying the Avs have to do something to use up the cap space freed up by this move are seriously missing something. The Marleau and Subban moves both showed how extremely valuable cap space is in the NHL. It's literally a case of the more you have the better it is. The Avs don't even need to spend it all right away, because it will continue to be valuable during the season and into next offseason. I'm fine with this team not always spending to the cap as long as they're building the roster properly.

Trading a 34 year old player who has shown signs of decline, and getting younger assets in return - that's called good asset management. If he came in this year and played like he did at the end of last season, then we found out we passed on this deal, everyone here would be up in arms.

I don't think this deal was a sign of imminent things to come. I don't think it was just a cap dumb. I don't think the Avs even really need to replace Carl, as much as I loved him. With Carl or without him, the Avs needs remain the same: at least two new top 6 forwards. Most people here weren't even sold on Carl as a 2nd line center anyway, so are we really better off with Carl in the 3rd/4th line role than Compher, Jost or Kerfoot? - especially when you think about the development of those players long term.

I'm really starting to worry that people around here are going to use this deal as a reason to criticize Sakic when he doesn't directly replace Carl or spend all the way to the cap. Because the fact is we don't know exactly why the deal was made, and you can't just assume you know then act accordingly. To me, I think the most likely reason is that Avs think end-of-season Carl is what he is now, and didn't want to have an unhappy Carl on their hands playing 4th line minutes or even getting scratched. But I could be wrong - maybe this was a cap dump or preparation for another move. The fact is we don't know, but it's also a fact that there are perfectly logical reasons to have made this move besides a camp dump or other move.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I know the Bread Man would be huge for scoring depth, but I'm when is the last time a top flight UFA actually won a cup with a team the signed with? (I genuinely don't know and am asking)

Marian Hossa, Brian Campbell, Chara is the lynch-pin of everything that went right in Boston. When truly elite players (not talking about overpaid has beens like Ladd, Lučić etc) get available, they usually bring a lot of success wherever they go. The problem is that they rarely even get to the UFA status.

Reactions: MarkT and S3rkie

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Marian Hossa, Brian Campbell, Chara is the lynch-pin of everything that went right in Boston. When truly elite players (not talking about overpaid has beens like Ladd, Lučić etc) get available, they usually bring a lot of success wherever they go. The problem is that they rarely even get to the UFA status.
Yeah something about it just scares me, I'm sure there are more examples if we thought on it, but right there you've only named two teams in what, Chara was 06? So 13 or so years of big UFA signings that were supposed to put plenty of good teams over the hump. Signing a 7 year 12-13 million dollar deal is such a commitment cap wise to one player who we don't even know how he'll play with Mack. When I think about it like that, I totally get why signing a few 2nd tier ufas to more manageable deals would be appealing. One big deal that goes the wrong way can undo all the good work managment has done cap wise up to this point. But on the other hand what is the point of cap management if you don't take your shot at some point. I flip flop every other day if I want him to come here or not.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yeah something about it just scares me, I'm sure there are more examples if we thought on it, but right there you've only named two teams in what, Chara was 06? So 13 or so years of big UFA signings that were supposed to put plenty of good teams over the hump. Signing a 7 year 12-13 million dollar deal is such a commitment cap wise to one player who we don't even know how he'll play with Mack. When I think about it like that, I totally get why signing a few 2nd tier ufas to more manageable deals would be appealing. One big deal that goes the wrong way can undo all the good work managment has done cap wise up to this point. But on the other hand what is the point of cap management if you don't take your shot at some point. I flip flop every other day if I want him to come here or not.

Well since the Penguins won one in 09 the only teams to win the Cup were:

• Pens - Gonchar
  • Hawks - Hossa, Campbell,
  • Bruins - Chara, Seidenberg
  • Kings - no one
  • Caps - Niskanen
  • Blues - no one elite, but plenty of depth

Reactions: S3rkie

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Why Frank signed a 1 year last year and Grubauer can still **** the bed . He still hasn't had a full season #1 . He played all the games down the stretch and into the playoffs because he got hot at the right time, That doesn't mean he's a be all end all # 1 he still is vulnerable up high.

No way Joe thinks the has a shot at the Cup and runs just Grubauer and Frank , I mean Frank has never even started an NHL game, he's the 3rd stringer.

You're right, there's absolutely no way you can win the cup with an inexperienced goaltender named Jordan Binnington.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad