cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I dont know man, if one think Jost was a better player than Soderberg in the playoffs, I think they are basing it purely of their shooting luck. Soda was always solid. Jost was the same as always.

Even though one of Jost’s goals was pretty lucky, he was creating out there. He generated a lot of turn overs and looked dangerous, especially in the Sharks series.

Soderberg was really invisible, and that was with Rantanen stapled to his side most of the post season. I wish him all the best, but I won’t be surprised if he regresses to a 30-35 point player this season.

Reactions: avsfan09

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Even though one of Jost’s goals was pretty lucky, he was creating out there. He generated a lot of turn overs and looked dangerous, especially in the Sharks series.

Soderberg was really invisible, and that was with Rantanen stapled to his side most of the post season. I wish him all the best, but I won’t be surprised if he regresses to a 30-35 point player this season.

You're sorta touching on the bigger problem that some of us have with this. Jost was playing ~13 minutes a night while looking good last postseason, whereas Soda had averaged almost 17.5 minutes a night in the regular season (only missing 2) & was still lugging over 16 a night in the playoffs; when he looked completely gassed.

Given that the primary concern with Jost is his skating, those extra minutes are likely to wear him out too and prevent him from consistently performing at the level we saw to close last season; even if he was given a linemate who could create space for him the way Boeser did in college & he does take a step forward this offseason.

...and that's before we add in how much more exhausting playing against top 6ers is than bottom 6ers, or how much harder it is to be successful against them...

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
You're sorta touching on the bigger problem that some of us have with this. Jost was playing ~13 minutes a night while looking good last postseason, whereas Soda had averaged almost 17.5 minutes a night in the regular season (only missing 2) & was still lugging over 16 a night in the playoffs; when he looked completely gassed.

Given that the primary concern with Jost is his skating, those extra minutes are likely to wear him out too and prevent him from consistently performing at the level we saw to close last season; even if he was given a linemate who could create space for him the way Boeser did in college & he does take a step forward this offseason.

...and that's before we add in how much more exhausting playing against top 6ers is than bottom 6ers, or how much harder it is to be successful against them...

You’ve made a very good point. Some of that may be Soderberg’s age, too. I don’t know about you, but I just turned 30 and my body feels like it’s falling apart half the time. I’m not professional athlete but I’m a pretty lean guy. Getting older has given me perspective to how a lot of these “old” NHLers must feel.

Here’s to hoping if given the role, Jost’s young body holds up better than Soda’s...or mine. :wally:

Reactions: cgf

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You’ve made a very good point. Some of that may be Soderberg’s age, too. I don’t know about you, but I just turned 30 and my body feels like it’s falling apart half the time. I’m not professional athlete but I’m a pretty lean guy. Getting older has given me perspective to how a lot of these “old” NHLers must feel.

Here’s to hoping if given the role, Jost’s young body holds up better than Soda’s...or mine. :wally:

Just wait'll your turn 40, dude. It's like a switch goes off inside your body. Even sleeping wrong has dire consequences now...:laugh:

At 36 I can agree, and I can feel 40 coming at me every day lol.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

...and that's before we add in how much more exhausting playing against toss is than bottom 6ers, or how much harder it is to be successful against them...
Has Jost ever had conditioning issues? I get the issues with his first step but I'm not so sure he would suffer as much as you're insinuating.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Has Jost ever had conditioning issues? I get the issues with his first step but I'm not so sure he would suffer as much as you're insinuating.

From what I understand it's the complete opposite--he works very hard on and off the ice. I thought someone on here said he bulked up a bit this last offseason and that might be one reason he looked so slow out there this season, but I don't know.

Bottom line though, conditioning or not, there's no amount of conditioning that can prepare a player for a bigger role, more minutes, and more games, etc. It's why even a well-conditioned rookie hits a wall about halfway through the season sometimes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
From what I understand it's the complete opposite--he works very hard on and off the ice. I thought someone on here said he bulked up a bit this last offseason and that might be one reason he looked so slow out there this season, but I don't know.

Jost's work ethic has never been the issue. That's why he even still has a shot at a middle six role if he does not pan out offensively.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm not comfortable going into the season with Jost as the 2nd line center but I still believe in him. He just turned 21 like three months ago and played some of his best hockey at the toughest time of the season.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

Bottom line though, conditioning or not, there's no amount of conditioning that can prepare a player for a bigger role, more minutes, and more games, etc. It's why even a well-conditioned rookie hits a wall about halfway through the season sometimes.
I'd be comfortable with Jost as a 3 C tbh. We would still need a top 6 center though. Soda was never a true second line center so as long as we get a truly capable one I feel like Jost can suffice as our 3rd line C.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
October 25th lol
That's pretty much when my course starts haah. Good luck hope all goes well and you graduate/find work. If you're anything like myself at least you'll probably love the fact that the job isn't boring and keeps you on you're feet and the helping people part I suppose ;)

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's pretty much when my course starts haah. Good luck hope all goes well and you graduate/find work. If you're anything like myself at least you'll probably love the fact that the job isn't boring and keeps you on you're feet and the helping people part I suppose ;)

Yeah it's perfect for someone coming off a long career in the military. I can work pretty much as much or as little as I want too. EMT isn't nearly as fun, but still a pretty easy job that keeps you moving.

Reactions: avsfan09

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad