Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avs Sign Devon Toews (4 Years, $4.1M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I mean, you see their cap situation. The only way you can theoretically move Bowen Byram for immediate help and fit it under the cap is if you move him for another young stud on his ELC. In that case, why would you even bother moving Byram.
Agreed, just a complete hot take.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
We have 26 million in cap space next offseason with Landy, Makar and Grubauer really only to sign. And Saad depending on how he does. Then we could also lose one of Donskoi/Graves/JTC in the expansion draft and that opens up another 3 million.

Landy will sign a team friendly deal like 7 million hopefully no more than 5 years.
Makar can go the Mack route and take less to keep the team together. 7 million over 6 years. Maybe tops at 8 million
Grubauer needs to prove he can stay healthy else we wont have to worry about him and could trade for another goalie.

So Avs cap is good.

Landy will be 7.5-8 and Makar ~9. We need to get rid of at least one of Gravy/JTC/Donk/EJ after 20-21.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I didn't say anything about what the trade would be.

A Top 6 Forward or Top 4 RHD on ELC money would be more valuable to this team in its current make up.
When's the last time a prospect as highly touted as Byram got traded though? Brayden Schenn maybe? Unless the perfect deal came along I don't see it happening, if it was something insane like... I don't even know lol. It's not like we have a huge glaring weakness on this team that requires moving a guy like Bo

Last edited:
Reactions: avsfan09

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I mean, you see their cap situation. The only way you can theoretically move Bowen Byram for immediate help and fit it under the cap is if you move him for another young stud on his ELC. In that case, why would you even bother moving Byram.

If Colorado trades a defenseman i think it’s much more likely you see any of EJ, Cole, Graves, Toews and even Girard traded before you see Byram who has his full ELC ahead of him. The Avs simply don’t have space to add salary.

Because the Top 4 LHD is set up long term already, and multiple other holes in the lineup exist beyond this year.

An ElC forward for example would be much more important in 2 years time then Byram as the 3rd LD would be.

Top 4 RHD on an ELC would probably be the most important roster piece we could add. Byram is turning more and more into a luxury piece for us rather than a need.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
For sure. But if the Avs wanted to move any of those guys tomorrow, I'm confident none of them would be negative value contracts.

They're in about as good of a cap situation as any contending team.
EJ's contract might be a little difficult to move due to term, but I'd like to be believe you on the other contracts. As for the Avs' long-term cap structure, I hope you're right!

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I think Sakic would gladly pay an extra second to not burn a bridge with one of the longest tenured gm's who has a lot of sway. The dude is making great trades consistently due partly in fact to how well he's respected league wide why ruin that over a single pick that the avs would probably butcher regardless.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Because the Top 4 LHD is set up long term already, and multiple other holes in the lineup exist beyond this year.

An ElC forward for example would be much more important in 2 years time then Byram as the 3rd LD would be.

Top 4 RHD on an ELC would probably be the most important roster piece we could add. Byram is turning more and more into a luxury piece for us rather than a need.
Teams don’t swap stud prospects for one another to target a position of need. It’s not a video game. Change of scenery prospect deals happen sure, but the Avs aren’t trading arguably the best D prospect on the planet for a similar value forward prospect, nor would the hypothetical other team trade their stud forward prospect for Byram.

Thetes just far too much risk. You stick with the guy you invested in or else your publicly throwing your scouting staff under the bus. Unless Byram asks out he isn’t getting traded for a forward prospect.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Dmen takes a while to develop; we are probably losing Graves next year and then we get to develop Byram in the 3 LHD role (if he doesn't get a year in the AHL). This contract says way more about Timmins (who is an injury concern) than it does about Byram. Timmins was suppose to be ready; now he is left without a spot in the short or long term.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
When's the last time a prospect as highly touted as Byram got traded though? Brayden Schenn maybe? Unless the perfect deal came along I don't see it happening, if it was something insane like... I don't even know lol. It's not like we have a huge glaring weakness on this team that requires moving a guy like Bo
Suzuki

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
It's a 100k more per season than what I think he's worth, so it's a fair deal for Colorado. Hopefully he gets over the occasional brain farts that hurt us during the regular season and playoffs. Good for him and good for Colorado.

I wouldn't paint this as Sakic being magnificent though. It was a decent trade and decent contract. Overall, it's what should've been expected.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
What does Colorado's expansion draft protection list look like? MacKinnon, Rantanen, Kadri, Burakovsky, Johnson (NMC), Makar, Girard, Toews and Francouz with handshake deals to extend Landeskog and Grubauer after the expansion draft?

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
What does Colorado's expansion draft protection list look like? MacKinnon, Rantanen, Kadri, Burakovsky, Johnson (NMC), Makar, Girard, Toews and Francouz with handshake deals to extend Landeskog and Grubauer after the expansion draft?
There should be no handshake deals. Certainly not with Landeskog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad