Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avs Sign Devon Toews (4 Years, $4.1M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
This is a good deal. Happy with the term. This pretty much seals the D for the Avs all while condemning Graves to be snagged up by Seattle. Win-win.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Fabulous contract.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he ultimately makes Byram expendable for the Avs within the next year.

Between Girard and Toews the Avs Left side is stacked for a number of years now.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Nice deal, but are the Avs putting too much cap space into their D core? Makar will be due a nice pay day after this season.

We have 26 million in cap space next offseason with Landy, Makar and Grubauer really only to sign. And Saad depending on how he does. Then we could also lose one of Donskoi/Graves/JTC in the expansion draft and that opens up another 3 million.

Landy will sign a team friendly deal like 7 million hopefully no more than 5 years.
Makar can go the Mack route and take less to keep the team together. 7 million over 6 years. Maybe tops at 8 million
Grubauer needs to prove he can stay healthy else we wont have to worry about him and could trade for another goalie.

So Avs cap is good.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Will be interesting who they choose to lose in the expansion draft. One of those D is going to have to be left exposed
if EJ waives, it's going to be Graves, Girard and Makar aren't going anywhere (Toews is possible if EJ doesn't, or Sakic will find a way to make 8 skaters work)

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Fabulous contract.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he ultimately makes Byram expendable for the Avs within the next year.

Between Girard and Toews the Avs Left side is stacked for a number of years now.
Byram expendable? What? I'm sure the guy who preaches drafting defensemen, the guy who values cap extremely will trade away the guy whose potential is to be a top pair D.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
If you sign players to good deals, they can always be used as assets.

The Avs don't have a single bad contract.
The Ian Cole contract isn't great. EJ has been declining year-over-year, so his deal could be bad soon. And Donskoi is a little overpaid for what he brings. Overall, no anchor contracts but a few contracts could make the cap a little tough to maneuver while they're still on the books.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
Nice deal, but are the Avs putting too much cap space into their D core? Makar will be due a nice pay day after this season.

I don't think any of their D other than EJ would be difficult to move if they need to clear space down the road.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We have 26 million in cap space next offseason with Landy, Makar and Grubauer really only to sign. And Saad depending on how he does. Then we could also lose one of Donskoi/Graves/JTC in the expansion draft and that opens up another 3 million.

Landy will sign a team friendly deal like 7 million hopefully no more than 5 years.
Makar can go the Mack route and take less to keep the team together. 7 million over 6 years. Maybe tops at 8 million
Grubauer needs to prove he can stay healthy else we wont have to worry about him and could trade for another goalie.

So Avs cap is good.
Those AAV’s are wishful thinking to say the least.

Reactions: missionAvs

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Too bad Sakic overpaid to get him.
An offer sheet for the same money and term would only have cost Colorado one second rounder instead of the two that they paid.

Agreed. But how many teams do these low ball offersheets? Its not done for a reason.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Ian Cole contract isn't great. EJ has been declining year-over-year, so his deal could be bad soon. And Donskoi is a little overpaid for what he brings. Overall, no anchor contracts but a few contracts could make the cap a little tough to maneuver while they're still on the books.

For sure. But if the Avs wanted to move any of those guys tomorrow, I'm confident none of them would be negative value contracts.

They're in about as good of a cap situation as any contending team.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Fabulous contract.

I mean, you see their cap situation. The only way you can theoretically move Bowen Byram for immediate help and fit it under the cap is if you move him for another young stud on his ELC. In that case, why would you even bother moving Byram.

If Colorado trades a defenseman i think it’s much more likely you see any of EJ, Cole, Graves, Toews and even Girard traded before you see Byram who has his full ELC ahead of him. The Avs simply don’t have space to add salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad