Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avs Sign Devon Toews (4 Years, $4.1M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He has become so damn good.. its crazy how late he went in his 2014 draft.

I love to see players gradually keep getting better and better and become late bloomers after being drafted. Yes I know he was good in NYI last season but before that there really wasnt too too much talk of him.

He has been outstanding in Colorado.

He would make a massive jump in the draft if there was a 2014 redraft
Same here. And I’m convinced that there are many guys out there who just need a chance. One such players emerges on every team each year, it seems. For the Rangers it was Blackwell this year. But most teams find one. So much talent out there. I think it’s part of the reason LV was so good out of the gate. Just got to have a good eye for talent.

I know it’s not a popular opinion but I think there’s enough talent for a couple more teams after Seattle. Maybe not enough cities to support teams but I’d venture there’s enough talent.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Still feel like the Avs overpaid given the market at the time, just look at what Schmidt, Tanev, Brodie etc cost. 2 2nds was a lot when half the league was up for grabs for next to nothing.

Schmidt and Edmundson cost less than half the price. Tanev and Brodie aren't very comparable as they were UFA. Brodie wanted to win a cup and Tanev wanted to stay west.

Sakic has goofed on trades for defenseman his entire tenure as GM. Brad Stuart for two 2nds, Zadorov for ROR and now Toews for two 2nds.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Great year to acquire a defenseman. The Avs tried for years and there just weren't any available. Finally build up a decent core with Girard and Makar and Toews just kinda falls into our laps. It's not often you can turn 2 2nds into a defenseman that can be trusted with 27 min in the playoffs.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Great year to acquire a defenseman. The Avs tried for years and there just weren't any available. Finally build up a decent core with Girard and Makar and Toews just kinda falls into our laps. It's not often you can turn 2 2nds into a defenseman that can be trusted with 27 min in the playoffs.
Seriously. Anytime you can add a 26 year old top 4 Dman for 2 2nds and sign him for 4 more years at a good rate, it's an easy yes to do.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I love to see players gradually keep getting better and better and become late bloomers after being drafted. Yes I know he was good in NYI last season but before that there really wasnt too too much talk of him.

This is because people massively under rate Islander players/prospects until they're on another team.

Next up: Samuel Bolduc

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Sakic was after two defenseman during the offseason. Toews and Weegar. Look at the seasons they’re both having. The offseason prior it was Burakovsky. This pro scouting department are incredible.

Toews have been excellent. Weegar - RHD could be a better fit than the log jam at LHD.

AVs already have the 3rd best GA in the league, but could have been even better if Weegar could have been added. :nod:

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
What took him so long to crack into the league? He is phenomenal, a rock defensively and generating offensively. He gave Pierre McGuire several hard ons in the St Louis series.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Jan 21, 2018
It is insane that Toews played 24 elite minutes a night and people on here are still hedging like "good pickup but idk about the value" and "good top four defenceman I guess"

I'm guessing it's the same people that still make personal attacks against Tavares and his family.

Avs absolutely robbed NYI, Toews is a great top 4D that is easily worth a 1st+

Sakic took advantage of a weaker GM that put himself in a bad position with all the expensive contracts he handed out.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Who's better: Toews or Graves?
Toews is playing like a top pair on 90% of NHL teams. Avs included.

Sakic ripped the Islander’s face off acquiring him for two picks that probably fall outside the top 50 in their respective drafts.

we all love the draft but picks outside the top 50 usually result in nothing or bottom of roster players. Avs have a good farm system anyway as they are already a young team. MacKinnon is 25.

getting toews in his prime for $4mm AAV was a nice little move. The idea the Avs overpaid is dazzlingly stupid.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Schmidt and Edmundson cost less than half the price. Tanev and Brodie aren't very comparable as they were UFA. Brodie wanted to win a cup and Tanev wanted to stay west.

Sakic has goofed on trades for defenseman his entire tenure as GM. Brad Stuart for two 2nds, Zadorov for ROR and now Toews for two 2nds.

Yeah what a goof that last one one. That more than makes up for his blunders before when he was first doing his GM. Sakic has only gotten better and better as a GM. He wasnt the best when first starting as he would give out horrible contracts to aging vets. Now the past couple years he has been one of the best in making trades

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, both were heavily linked, Weegar even more so.
I don't recall Toews being heavily linked to the Avs before the trade happened. The Avs had been linked with Weegar for a couple of days and some in the media speculated that Jost could be a piece going back to Florida, but then the Toews trade happened out of nowhere and ended all the Weegar rumours.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't recall Toews being heavily linked to the Avs before the trade happened. The Avs had been linked with Weegar for a couple of days and some in the media speculated that Jost could be a piece going back to Florida, but then the Toews trade happened out of nowhere and ended all the Weegar rumours.

I'm happy with keeping Jost and instead trading lotto tickets for Toews instead. Jost has been the 3C we needed

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'm guessing it's the same people that still make personal attacks against Tavares and his family.

Avs absolutely robbed NYI, Toews is a great top 4D that is easily worth a 1st+

Sakic took advantage of a weaker GM that put himself in a bad position with all the expensive contracts he handed out.
I mean even this is part of my point haha, Toews is a lot more than a great top 4 defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad