Confirmed with Link: [COL/ARI] Avs Acquire G D.Kuemper($1m ret.) for D C.Timmins + 2022 COL 1st + 2024 COL 3rd(cond.)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don’t think Gru was the answer here to be honest. He wasn’t good enough against the Knights or the Sharks and he was hurt the other year. But when you don’t have an upgrade available, it’s just bad asset. If they matched the money but he wanted the NMC, fine, but if they left it at 5x5 then this was a huge f*** up. Also again, Ned was literally on waivers last year
Give me a risky year of Kuemper over Nedeljkovic ANY day.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Grubauer has had two groin injuries already and was playing behind the least amount of shots and scoring chances in the league.

He’s going to blow up with Seattle.

6 years, lol.

Yeah I could see this happening as well.

Would be nice if we could have the reverse of the Varly-Grubauer situation. The goalie we lose ends up being the one with injuries, and the one we gained stays healthy. :crossfing

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
4.5M X 3 right now would look good. Reasonable amount of risk for both sides.

You know who was a reasonable amount of risk for both sides? Philip Grubauer.

Kuemper is not gonna get extended unless he takes a discount. $4.5 is what he earns now, if he plays well for us then he's gonna want $5.5+ lol. And pretty good chance he gets injured anyways. Sakic don't do risk.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
They played the same number of games over the last three years. Grubs has been injured in the non contact way that is discouraging because those types of injuries tend to be severe. He wouldn’t have returned to the playoffs in the bubble. Saying he’s less injury prone than Kuemper isn’t really true. He had injuries in two of his three seasons with the Avs. Serious injuries his second season. He’s not a pillar of durability and we all wondered all season if the Avs were overplaying him. When he’d get hurt for it. And then he did late in the year. Although minor.
Grubi was a 1B trying to win a job then 1a in two shortened seasons… apples oranges. Compare last two years

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Grubi was a 1B trying to win a job then 1a in two shortened seasons… apples oranges. Compare last two years
Then Grubs was a hot mess of injuries two years ago. Including playoffs when the Avs needed him.

kuemper. No reason to play last year. Arizona was awful. They probably slow played him to preserve value since he’s been so good when he’s playing. No reason to push him.

Both do come with injury concerns. I’m really glad avs aren’t locked into the overpay Seattle gave him yesterday. Good for Grubs to get that paper but that deal will look like crap in four years with two more behind it. Probably a lot like EJs looks to the Avs today.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Then Grubs was a hot mess of injuries two years ago. Including playoffs when the Avs needed him.

kuemper. No reason to play last year. Arizona was awful. They probably slow played him to preserve value since he’s been so good when he’s playing. No reason to push him.

Both do come with injury concerns. I’m really glad avs aren’t locked into the overpay Seattle gave him yesterday. Good for Grubs to get that paper but that deal will look like crap in four years with two more behind it. Probably a lot like EJs looks to the Avs today.
Compare the injuries and games… we are on vastly different planes.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Grub was always one of my all time favorites, he was my damned go to meme whenever we beat a solid team, with the quote, "y'all just got Grubauer'd" :(

BUT, the more I read / hear / see, the more I think at worst this is a parody trade (but with a 3.5M caphit)...if he goes okay, let's re-up him quick (after 30-40 games). I think we all hate seeing a Vezina finalist go, it sucks, but we have to be open minded to Kumper to be fair. He's a massive unit, too - Teaser :

Another:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Grub was always one of my all time favorites, he was my damned go to meme whenever we beat a solid team, with the quote, "y'all just got Grubauer'd" :(

BUT, the more I read / hear / see, the more I think at worst this is a parody trade (but with a 3.5M caphit)...if he goes okay, let's re-up him quick (after 30-40 games). I think we all hate seeing a Vezina finalist go, it sucks, but we have to be open minded to Kumper to be fair. He's a massive unit, too - Teaser :

Another:

Nice to see ya!

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Timmins isn’t a good skater and doesn’t do PK. Love his puck skills and passing instincts, but he was far from ideal as a 3rd pair guy on a team loaded with excellent puck moving D ahead of him.

Barron has passed him as a prospect and Helleson is a better fit for the bottom pair role. Sucks to trade so much but let’s be honest about Timmins poor fit on this Avs team.

I’d rather have the 1G.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Timmins isn’t a good skater and doesn’t do PK. Love his puck skills and passing instincts, but he was far from ideal as a 3rd pair guy on a team loaded with excellent puck moving D ahead of him.

Barron has passed him as a prospect and Helleson is a better fit for the bottom pair role. Sucks to trade so much but let’s be honest about Timmins poor fit on this Avs team.

I’d rather have the 1G.
Timmins proved to be an NHL quality player in the playoffs when it mattered most. Not to mention he’s young and hasn’t even played a full pro season yet. He’ll likely turn into even more.

It’s ok to be fine with getting Kuemper but also hate the trade. I feel like everyone here is either all in one way or another. There’s never any middle ground.

I for one am absolutely thrilled we got Kuemper. I think if healthy he’s a top 5 goalie in the NHL behind this team. But f*** I wish we found another way to acquire him. Timmins and a 1st is just a lot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Timmins proved to be an NHL quality player in the playoffs when it mattered most. Not to mention he’s young and hasn’t even played a full pro season yet. He’ll likely turn into even more.

It’s ok to be fine with getting Kuemper but also hate the trade. I feel like everyone here is either all in one way or another. There’s never any middle ground.

I for one am absolutely thrilled we got Kuemper. I think if healthy he’s a top 5 goalie in the NHL behind this team. But f*** I wish we found another way to acquire him. Timmins and a 1st is just a lot.

My problem is the risk and cost. Kuemper when he is a playing well is a good goalie. I'm not as high as you, but he's good. He won't allow the bad goals that Grubi had a tendency for, but I don't think he'll make as many high end saves either. Which is totally fine, health permitting, he'll do well.

The risk is simply health... Kuemper has had one season without injuries of some sort. It was a season where he was a backup too. Every other year has had some sort of injury crop up, and it seems to me, that injury prone guys don't really get better in the hands of the Avs' training staff. That is putting a lot of eggs into his basket, with the other eggs in the basket of a goalie that just missed a full season. This could easily blow up in the Avs' face and blow another season. I think is a pretty much a coin flip of that happening...

The other issue is the cost, and I don't care about spending the assets to fill the team. That is what they should be used for. This was certainly a high cost and the Avs had to do something. That isn't the issue in and of itself... the issue is that they spent two of their most expendable assets in one trade to get just as good as last season with more risk in net. Now when you go down the list of assets that can be used in a trade to improve the team, you have basically paired it down to Byram/Girard/Toews (just one), Newhook, 23 1st and 2nd (don't have the value of 22s and the 1st would have to be condition until the lottery conditions on the 22 pick is settled... lowers the value further), and Barron. Each one of those will hurt, and I'm not convinced Sakic will actually move any of them... simply because look at the UFAs coming up. Kadri, Nuke, and Burkie being UFAs next summer basically eliminate any chance of Newhook being in a deal. Barron is the only RD prospect in the pros that has a chance of replacing EJ, who is really needing replacement soon (I argue past replacement time). Then you're to the left side trio... all have great value in different ways. Moving Toews/G this year is risky on the Byram hitting the proper level to not have the top 4 dropoff. Byram could be a guy that is a key piece in a big deal, but that could bite you in the long run (IE not a Sakic type move). I see moving one of those guys as a stalemate for the season, then maybe a summer 22 move. There just isn't much that is expendable now that can actually improve the team without some major headaches in the next two seasons.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016

I think this is pretty much how most people feel. I think Kuemper is better than Gru but not by a lot (bigger too, which is nice for a goalie). I don't think Gru is anything more than an average NHL starter playing behind a great team, who happened to have a good run in a shortened season.

The problem here is the price. Losing Timmins sucks. I think he was important because of RD and because EJ is constantly injured. Losing the 1st sucks, because it was our biggest ammo at the TDL next season to improve any holes. We've moved both of those assets to acquire a guy 1 year from UFA, who is virtually a side-grade in goal. That's just terrible asset management.

This trade AT BEST cost us an impact player at the next deadline. If Timmins has a good year, it looks even worse.

That's what it boils down to for me.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m just not sure what the alternative was here.

You could sign Grubauer, but then you don’t have any cap space to add an additional player. There’s a $2.5M dollar difference in cap hit, which is significant for this season. You’re also locked in with Grubauer as your goaltender for the next 6 years with a no trade clause.

They could’ve looked at a trade for Georgiev. Maybe that could’ve worked out, but there’s quite a bit of risk there.

Other options were getting a guy like Andersen, or Mrazek in free agency. That could’ve worked, but are they good enough?

Ultimately I’m good with the accusation, even though the price was more than I expected. You lose Timmins and a 1st, but if you resign Grubauer there’s no cap space to use those assets for trades anyways.

Having Timmins would’ve been nice for his development moving forward, but I’m not sure his style of play and inexperience was the best option for the blue line this season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I’m just not sure what the alternative was here.

You could sign Grubauer, but then you don’t have any cap space to add an additional player. There’s a $2.5M dollar difference in cap hit, which is significant for this season. You’re also locked in with Grubauer as your goaltender for the next 6 years with a no trade clause.

They could’ve looked at a trade for Georgiev. Maybe that could’ve worked out, but there’s quite a bit of risk there.

Other options were getting a guy like Andersen, or Mrazek in free agency. That could’ve worked, but are they good enough?

Ultimately I’m good with the accusation, even though the price was more than I expected. You lose Timmins and a 1st, but if you resign Grubauer there’s no cap space to use those assets for trades anyways.

Having Timmins would’ve been nice for his development moving forward, but I’m not sure his style of play and inexperience was the best option for the blue line this season.

IMO... for the price the Avs paid in the trade, pay a bit more and get Gibson. Yeah costs more in assets and cap, but he's locked in at a rate you can build around. If Kuemper is healthy next season, his cap will be right in between Grubi and Gibson anyway. It is a one year sort of situation. Plus, just get rid of Compher for the cap issues. The cap can be worked around and we've seen many times, no deal is unmovable.

If you just signed Grubi to the 6x6ish deal, the same 1st + Timmins could have been used to get DeBrusk to get the 'cheap' forward for a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad