Confirmed with Link: [COL/ARI] Avs Acquire G D.Kuemper($1m ret.) for D C.Timmins + 2022 COL 1st + 2024 COL 3rd(cond.)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'm not seeing enough talk about the shitty deal for Timmins. Drafted by a team that is now a perennial contender and then banished to Arizona for an injury riddled goalie. God I hope Kuemper pans out because if not, this was a brutal trade and a horrible L to take.
Going from a tight-nit lockerroom to a team where half the team are capdumps only there to play out their contracts....

But on the positive side, he'll get an opportunity to become an integral part of what Arizona are building there, which could be a good situation for him in the long-run. He could be a key piece for them instead of a bit-part player in Colorado when Barron/Helleson etc are ready.

Hockey wise Arizona's slower pace should probably help him shine more as well.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I went and checked, looks like even though Kuemper was injured last year, he did come back and finished the year. Hopefully he stays healthy enough where Avs don't have to use Francouz and JJ too much.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
A question I've been thinking over in my head, and I can't find an answer to. Has there been an injury prone player that has ever come to the Avs and actually had their injury issues get better? I can't really think of one, but I'm sure that isn't the case.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
A question I've been thinking over in my head, and I can't find an answer to. Has there been an injury prone player that has ever come to the Avs and actually had their injury issues get better? I can't really think of one, but I'm sure that isn't the case.

Bodes well for this trade.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Usually it's the opposite. Lmao

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
As long as he’s healthy for the playoffs.

That was always the way a I felt with Grubi too. If he misses 10-15 games in the regular season, whatever. If he’s out for the playoffs that’s punishing.

Reactions: Richard88

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Same point on Kuemper though... he's had plenty in his career.

Not for several years, 2016 was his last I believe? Timmins is just getting over a major concussion. Just bringing some positives to the discussion full of negativity. It sucks Grubi chose a bit more money over the chance to win but that is his decision to make. The Avs had to respond and I think they got the best available goalie and still have some cap space to address another need. Kuemper will now have a team in front of him that can greatly limit the chances against him rather than him needing to steal every game.

Sure he will need to stay healthy but so would any of the goalies they would've picked up. I wish the best for Timmins and hope he flourishes, but I really like this addition.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Good points overall. BUT....... the Avs goaltending history over the past 25 years is the opposite. Patrick Roy's acquisition will always overshadow the draft approach. As will Denis, Aebischer, Pickard and other goalie drafts that flopped.

So the Avs history is to go out and get guys like Giguere, Varlamov and Grubauer.

And now Kuemper.
The philosophy needs to change. The Avs need to start using early picks to get goalies if they are in range of one. The last goalie they picked in the first round was Marc Denis I think.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This could wreck the Avs Stanley Cup hopes. Not only next season but for the whole window.

Not to jinx anything.

Maybe Annunen pulls an '86 Roy
Because a 2022 1st rounder and Timmins? Lest we forget that prior to this season we all questioned whether or not Grubauer could stay healthy. He was healthy and he shit himself in Game 6.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Such an interesting statistic.

Lends credit to what I’ve said for a while; Gibson is elite and has to face more high quality chances than any other goalie.

Proper team in front of Gibson and he would be winning Vezinas.
Watch enough Anaheim games and you wouldn't need fancy stats to know Gibson is an elite goalie. I would have paid a lot to get Gibson because I believe he would get the Avs over the top.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Watch enough Anaheim games and you wouldn't need fancy stats to know Gibson is an elite goalie. I would have paid a lot to get Gibson because I believe he would get the Avs over the top.

But we wouldn’t have the cap space to sign Kase and some random #8-9 dman. Gonna have to trust Sakic on this one.

Garavar

Nov 27, 2016
Am I led to believe that Vegas/Hawks would have retained half of Fleury salary for Timmons or a first? (Not both)

I think Fleury would have played for Colorado just to shove a playoff loss down the Knights throat for trying to trade him for years.

Sakic shit the bed, go put your hand in a snow blower!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Kuemper played the 3rd most games out of any goalie the past three years, if Bednar doesn't play him in 70 games per season and he doesn't see 40 pucks per game he'll stay healthy.

I'd also add that Rick Tocchet was absolutely horrible at managing his workload and that made the injury situation worse. Arguably created it. The vast majority of coaches are better than Tocchet lol.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Darcy Kuemper on getting his mojo back in Riga: 'I don’t think I ever lost my mojo. I was just hurt'

In the final three games of the IIHF World Championship in Riga, Latvia, Team Canada goaltender Darcy Kuemper stopped 89 of 94 shots (.947 save percentage) to lead Canada to the gold medal against the tournament’s top three teams: Russia, the United States and Finland.

Given the way that Kuemper started the tournament — and the way that he finished his NHL season with the Coyotes — you might say that he got his mojo back on the world stage.

Kuemper begs to differ. “I don’t think I ever lost my mojo,” he said, laughing. “I was just hurt.”

Before Kuemper suffered an MCL strain in his knee late in the second period of a game at Colorado on March 8, he was fifth in the NHL in save percentage at .914, and fourth in goals against average (2.41) among goalies who had played at least 18 games. His underlying numbers were good, too, in a league that still does a remarkably poor job of tracking goalies’ statistical performance.

Then everything changed in Denver.

“My leg kind of got stuck in the last minute of the period,” he said. “I kicked out my one leg, trying to get onto my butt and the other leg got stuck on the ice underneath me and just kind of popped and gave out.

“I was trying to ignore it and went back out for the third (period) but I couldn’t play and I had to get right out of there. I don’t think I would have been able to stop the puck if they shot one on the ice.”

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Wait. I just saw you suggested we trade Newhook (the same Newhook who is most likely slated for a top 6 role), Timmins and a 1st for Gibson and his 6.5 million dollar salary for the next 6 years instead of a 1st and Timmins for Kuemper and a 3.5 mil salary.

Brilliant. Just Brilliant.
Nope, didn't offer that. But good attempt at reading!

And yes, J.T. Compher is the new whipping boy. As he should be since there is no more trash Ryan Graves.

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
I never cared much for Grubauer and will welcome Kuemper, but I'm super disappointed at including Timmins. I thought he showed a lot of promise even in the playoffs, and it's a cheap depth piece you're losing in the midst of a cap crunch.

Reactions: VikingAv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad