Confirmed with Link: [COL/ARI] Avs Acquire G D.Kuemper($1m ret.) for D C.Timmins + 2022 COL 1st + 2024 COL 3rd(cond.)

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Darcy Kuemper on getting his mojo back in Riga: 'I don’t think I ever lost my mojo. I was just hurt'

In the final three games of the IIHF World Championship in Riga, Latvia, Team Canada goaltender Darcy Kuemper stopped 89 of 94 shots (.947 save percentage) to lead Canada to the gold medal against the tournament’s top three teams: Russia, the United States and Finland.

Given the way that Kuemper started the tournament — and the way that he finished his NHL season with the Coyotes — you might say that he got his mojo back on the world stage.

Kuemper begs to differ. “I don’t think I ever lost my mojo,” he said, laughing. “I was just hurt.”

Before Kuemper suffered an MCL strain in his knee late in the second period of a game at Colorado on March 8, he was fifth in the NHL in save percentage at .914, and fourth in goals against average (2.41) among goalies who had played at least 18 games. His underlying numbers were good, too, in a league that still does a remarkably poor job of tracking goalies’ statistical performance.

Then everything changed in Denver.

“My leg kind of got stuck in the last minute of the period,” he said. “I kicked out my one leg, trying to get onto my butt and the other leg got stuck on the ice underneath me and just kind of popped and gave out.

“I was trying to ignore it and went back out for the third (period) but I couldn’t play and I had to get right out of there. I don’t think I would have been able to stop the puck if they shot one on the ice.”
Sakic hasn't told him he's not allowed to tell the truth (or anything at all) about his injuries yet :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Kuemper/Francouz has the potential to be a pretty sizeable upgrade on Grubauer/Miska.

If they're both healthy for the most part, or at least one healthy at any given time, we'll be more than fine in net.

Pretty large if.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I never cared much for Grubauer and will welcome Kuemper, but I'm super disappointed at including Timmins. I thought he showed a lot of promise even in the playoffs, and it's a cheap depth piece you're losing in the midst of a cap crunch.

Timmins is a player many of us supported. Concussions aside, he suffered multiple unknown upper and lower body injuries. Sure, many of us were concerned if the next hit end his career. The guy was simply made of Glass.

Grub according to his presser was firm in his demands and waited until the last moment to UFA left for more money. Respectfully, Sakic didn't seem prepared on other options on the assumption he would leave. So many opportunities were available for much less. It was a deal that solidifies the Goalie position for at least a year.

I have faith in Sakic that he will deepen the Goalie position during the season.

Reactions: Belgican

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Timmins is a player many of us supported. Concussions aside, he suffered multiple unknown upper and lower body injuries. Sure, many of us were concerned if the next hit end his career. The guy was simply made of Glass.

Grub according to his presser was firm in his demands and waited until the last moment to UFA left for more money. Respectfully, Sakic didn't seem prepared on other options on the assumption he would leave. So many opportunities were available for much less. It was a deal that solidifies the Goalie position for at least a year.

I have faith in Sakic that he will deepen the Goalie position during the season.
Sakic should look to extend Kuemper at the earliest possibility. Something in the range of 3-4 years x $4.5m-5m. This guy is going to put up great numbers behind our defense and having him locked in ahead of time would be shrewd.

From Kuemper's perspective he's had injuries and never played for a contender, so I'd guess that he'd be willing to forgo the "potential" of earning slightly more for some long-term security on a legit cup contender. You can tell in the video above how excited he is to come to Colorado, just look at his smile when he talks about having played against this team, and now he's a part of it.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Sakic should look to extend Kuemper at the earliest possibility. Something in the range of 3-4 years x $4.5m-5m. This guy is going to put up great numbers behind our defense and having him locked in ahead of time would be shrewd.

From Kuemper's perspective he's had injuries and never played for a contender, so I'd guess that he'd be willing to forgo the "potential" of earning slightly more for some long-term security on a legit cup contender. You can tell in the video above how excited he is to come to Colorado, just look at his smile when he talks about having played against this team, and now he's a part of it.

If Sakic hasn’t learned this off-season that he has more to lose than to gain by waiting for the last moment putting a mess under his players throat like take it or leave it, he will commit an even bigger fault than not being prepared that his players would leave indeed. Sign Kuemper, you want to live such a mess again in 12 months ?

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I never cared much for Grubauer and will welcome Kuemper, but I'm super disappointed at including Timmins. I thought he showed a lot of promise even in the playoffs, and it's a cheap depth piece you're losing in the midst of a cap crunch.

Timmins has lots of promise but honestly it’s a better opportunity for him there with Barron and Helleson coming up as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So was Grubs health and availability. A pretty big if. Often an… he’s not available to LBI.

Yeah Grubi has questions of his own on his health, but he was healthy last year (missed 2 games with covid). 19-20 was an injured filled season (26 including playoff games). 18-19 he was healthy. Pretty much his whole time in Washington he was healthy.

Kuemper isn't one season of injuries... he's only one season of being relatively healthy with the rest filled with injuries. Last season he missed 22 games with injuries. Season before 28. Season before (his 55 game season) he missed 8.

They are completely different levels of injury issues.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I understand the overpay was due to the lack of Goalie options.

Sakic can be brilliant and this could be a master stoke. Consider the rush for teams needing Goalies. It dwindled and even smaller if chasing a Cup due to limited cap space. Doubt he'll retire on a rebuilding team facing 40+ shots nightly and risk injury to end his career.

Competitive teams that might be interested in signing for a Starter position.
  • AVs
  • Leafs; signed Mrazek with Campbell. Out.
  • CAR; signed Anderson/Raanta. Out.
  • Oilers;
  • Flyers. Hart need backup. Maybe.
I realistically consider only the AVs and Oilers. Both teams have $20M+ Cap next season. Flyers are out due to a role is backup (babysit) for Hart until he mentally recovers.

AVs are closer to the Cup and have a superior defence to extend his career to avoid permanent injuries. He also has the extra motivation to play AZ as they relocate to the Central. Speculating, I wouldn't be surprised if a long-term deal has already been discussed and agreed that led to the higher trade pieces.

Reactions: Richard88

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Timmins has lots of promise but honestly it’s a better opportunity for him there with Barron and Helleson coming up as well.

Helleson is an interesting option.

Entering a 3rd BC season 2021/22, he might stay an extra 4th year and become a UFA after the 2022/23 season. Knowing his options will be blocked with Makar, Timmins & Barron ahead on the depth charts, his professional future might be better with another team. Trading Timmins clears a path to the NHL and possibly increases the chances on signing to leave college.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ok guys...so I was just listening to Hockey Central and it became much clearler what happened in this trade (I'm interpreting here).

Avs offered a 1st for Kuemper and thought they'd get him

Edmonton called at the last minute and offered a 1st and a prospect for Kuemper (that's when guys like Dreger tweeted about it)

Avs had to include a better prospect or they'd have lost him (and there was no real other option left)

So ultimately, it's Edmonton's fault if we had to include Timmins in that trade.

Sakic painted himself in the corner by negotiating for too long with Grubauer. Bet that won't happen again.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I remember people feeling just as skeptical about Varly and Grubauer with their injury history. We shall see what happens.

Fair point. Though Grubauer didn't really have the same injury history at the time, and Varly continued to have injury problems with the Avs.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Ok guys...so I was just listening to Hockey Central and it became much clearler what happened in this trade (I'm interpreting here).

Edmonton called at the last minute and offered a 1st and a prospect for Kuemper (that's when guys like Dreger tweeted about it)

Avs had to include a better prospect or they'd have lost him (and there was no real other option left)

So ultimately, it's Edmonton's fault if we had to include Timmins in that trade.

Sakic painted himself in the corner by negotiating for too long with Grubauer. Bet that won't happen again.
Kind of what we all knew happened, but good to get confirmation.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yeah Grubi has questions of his own on his health, but he was healthy last year (missed 2 games with covid). 19-20 was an injured filled season (26 including playoff games). 18-19 he was healthy. Pretty much his whole time in Washington he was healthy.

Kuemper isn't one season of injuries... he's only one season of being relatively healthy with the rest filled with injuries. Last season he missed 22 games with injuries. Season before 28. Season before (his 55 game season) he missed 8.

They are completely different levels of injury issues.
They played the same number of games over the last three years. Grubs has been injured in the non contact way that is discouraging because those types of injuries tend to be severe. He wouldn’t have returned to the playoffs in the bubble. Saying he’s less injury prone than Kuemper isn’t really true. He had injuries in two of his three seasons with the Avs. Serious injuries his second season. He’s not a pillar of durability and we all wondered all season if the Avs were overplaying him. When he’d get hurt for it. And then he did late in the year. Although minor.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Sakic will now make it his mission to fleece Holland like he did to Pierre Dorion.

Reactions: arun and McMetal

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I don’t think Gru was the answer here to be honest. He wasn’t good enough against the Knights or the Sharks and he was hurt the other year. But when you don’t have an upgrade available, it’s just bad asset. If they matched the money but he wanted the NMC, fine, but if they left it at 5x5 then this was a huge f*** up. Also again, Ned was literally on waivers last year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad