Injury Report: Cody Ceci - Suspected high ankle sprain - done for season?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He was our top penalty-killing defenceman.

About his only value to the team, but still, someone's going to have to take those minutes.
He has. Step up time for another player and opportunity. Liljegren call up is imminent. Finally.

Beanzy

Nov 14, 2018
I'm petrified that it will be Marincin in the lineup, over Liljegren. Somebody reassure me otherwise.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'm no Ceci booster but it sucks the guy has got himself, what looks like a longish term injury

That sucks for any athlete, especially for somebody that seems like a good room guy

I guess he goes on LTIR and Liljeren gets a call, I'm happy for him since he's been bloody good this season and deserves an opportunity
Dubas and Keefe are going to troll us and play Marincin on the right side.

Reactions: Al14 and Kiwi

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'm going to riot if that happens :sarcasm:

Seriously though, that kid needs to play now, he's a play driver on the backend
The PK would be interesting. Muzzin and Holl on the top unit.
The 2nd unit would have 2 of Dermott, Sandin, or Lilly.

Reactions: Kiwi

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
In terms of cap space and the collective bargaining agreement/nhl rule book is it illegal to do something like:
Doughty for Bracco (for example) with an agreement in place to trade Doughty back to LA in the summer for future considerations?
Weird scenario of course but hypothetically?

This would make the league orders of magnitude more entertaining

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Ceci to LTIR along with Rielly? If they both stay on it til the day after the reg season, they can still come back regardless of the cap. We could be looking at $10M+ in available space for the deadline.

It would be $9.5m to be exact....

That being said, it would mean that both Rielly & Ceci would be entering the playoffs having not seen a game in 2 months.

Furthermore, there's not really a lot that the Leafs can actually do with that cap space... considering they cannot bring on anyone who has term at big dollars, nor would it be wise to invest in $8m worth of rentals.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
So, a lot of us are praising this injury to Ceci. I'm not.

Now, how can we trade him? Not that he would have got us anything good, however, he could have been part of a package that fulfilled a need we have for better right handed D.

I guess he walks at the end of the season for no return, unless, Dubas re-signs him!

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'd dress Marincin as a 7th d-man for penalty kills for Lilly's first few games to ease him in. One of the few areas he's good in. Timashov and Goat can sit in the press box they're pretty useless.
That is an idea as well. Marincin's ES time should be limited though.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This has been touched on.

If he's (Rielly) out until the playoffs they can replace his full cap hit and he can come back in the playoffs when there is no cap.

Ceci news is not good, definitely places him in no-mans-land.
Cost to trade him just went from getting something to giving something.
Probably isn't out until the playoffs so can't use his cap space for a permanent replacement unless another team is compensated in a deal.
If he can be placed on LTIR (I think minimum 24 days and 10 games or something like that) then they can call up without concern about cap hit, and then demote when he returns.

Liljegren PK's I believe.

Whether Ceci qualifies to go on LTIR doesn't really matter... Rielly is already there.

The question is -- has he or Rielly played their last regular season game?

If so, the Leafs can add $2-3m worth of cap hit easily. If not, they've gotta budget on them returning, which likely means that Ceci has to go in any deal to bring a defenceman back. Being injured means that any positive value he may have had is probably gone. It also means that the Leafs will have to consider his loss from a depth perspective in making a deal.

Reactions: mouser

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I never wish injury on anyone. But as they say, every cloud has a silver lining, and I hope Liljegren is up to the task.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I really hope Dubas doesnt use the extra cap space to add any more rentals....

Way too risky that the leafs miss the playoffs

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
A huge blow for our rear ends. Ceci been a step up guy with the stand on a stuckstill presence. Blocking that thang and eating that small black puck at times. Man we ain't have enough of those guys. Lets see how our pretty soft D handles itself tomorrow against the hard Ducks of anaheim. (ex Randys).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Now, how can we trade him? Not that he would have got us anything good, however, he could have been part of a package that fulfilled a need we have for better right handed D.

I guess he walks at the end of the season for no return, unless, Dubas re-signs him!

Pretty much. I hope it's not as serious as Dubas was indicating. I don't mind Liljegren getting an extended shot, but losing Ceci is like losing a draft pick. He would have picked one up guaranteed.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

If he goes on LTIR insurance will cover him. It might make him easier to trade to be honest

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
If Liljegrin is not brought up it means that they don’t want to risk having 2 rookie d men on their roster....or they just don’t value him that highly,at least not yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad