Injury Report: Cody Ceci - Suspected high ankle sprain - done for season?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Depends how long he's out but...

This has been touched on.

If he's (Rielly) out until the playoffs they can replace his full cap hit and he can come back in the playoffs when there is no cap.

Ceci news is not good, definitely places him in no-mans-land.
Cost to trade him just went from getting something to giving something.
Probably isn't out until the playoffs so can't use his cap space for a permanent replacement unless another team is compensated in a deal.
If he can be placed on LTIR (I think minimum 24 days and 10 games or something like that) then they can call up without concern about cap hit, and then demote when he returns.

Liljegren PK's I believe.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
By coincidence, Robidas Island has just completed the installation of equipment for ankle rehab:
a97987_tight-rope_1-dean-potter.jpg

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Liljegren waited because there was no RHD openings and they also wanted him getting loads of ice time to continue developing his responsibilities and skills. I think he has pulled his weight for his part.

Sandin/ Liljegren are used to each other so it might be a great idea to play them limited minutes together as third pair guys. I mean why pressure the hell out of them now. Give them extra minutes in circumstances where we are up in games. There will be enough pressure in the playoffs to go around for them. Good reps shift to shift should be their only focus.

I personally believe Liljegren deserves his crack now.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This kinda sounds like what Chicago did with Kane's injury that one year... but hopefully that's what it is and it's not something really serious:(
But if Ceci is in LTIR, won’t that means it will allow Reilly to come back while also adding a Dman.

Reactions: The Iceman

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm no Ceci booster but it sucks the guy has got himself, what looks like a longish term injury

That sucks for any athlete, especially for somebody that seems like a good room guy

I guess he goes on LTIR and Liljeren gets a call, I'm happy for him since he's been bloody good this season and deserves an opportunity

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I don’t understand why some fans seem to be happy with this news.

Ceci has been one of our more reliable dmen that can start on dzone face offs...

Reactions: unitedstars87

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Looks like opportunity is very much knocking for Liljegren now. Dubas is probably going to need to add a depth option for the blueline, at the very least. Guess we'll know more with further updates on Rielly and Ceci.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Did they say what the injury is?

I think he said ankle

Edit: the Dubas interview on SN started with Dubas saying

“... the ankle, will be out for a while so he will be on the injury reserve. we will make the corresponding new tomorrow...umm... that’s about it for today”

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This has been touched on.

If he's (Rielly) out until the playoffs they can replace his full cap hit and he can come back in the playoffs when there is no cap.

Ceci news is not good, definitely places him in no-mans-land.
Cost to trade him just went from getting something to giving something.
Probably isn't out until the playoffs so can't use his cap space for a permanent replacement unless another team is compensated in a deal.
If he can be placed on LTIR (I think minimum 24 days and 10 games or something like that) then they can call up without concern about cap hit, and then demote when he returns.

Liljegren PK's I believe.

Sounds like Ceci is out until the playoffs to me so he's in the same boat.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Why is everyone pretending to care Ceci is out. I don’t care. I’m glad he is gone. Watching his risky pinches in the offensive zone and horrible shot that almost always gave up possession won’t be missed. I’m glad he’s. Its not life threatening, its a ankle injury. Go rehab nice knowin ya

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
But if Ceci is in LTIR, won’t that means it will allow Reilly to come back while also adding a Dman.

Ceci would have to be out for the remainder of the season, (no cap in the playoffs).

So could a cap team trade for an impact player who is currently injured, put him on LTIR and then activate him in the playoffs?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Why is everyone pretending to care Ceci is out. I don’t care. I’m glad he is gone. Watching his risky pinches in the offensive zone and horrible shot that almost always gave up possession won’t be missed. I’m glad he’s. Its not life threatening, its a ankle injury. Go rehab nice knowin ya

He was our top penalty-killing defenceman.

About his only value to the team, but still, someone's going to have to take those minutes.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He was our top penalty-killing defenceman.

About his only value to the team, but still, someone's going to have to take those minutes.
True but if Leafs could use his caphit to get a better Dman who kills PK. That’s much better than having him in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad