Injury Report: Cody Ceci - Suspected high ankle sprain - done for season?

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Please bring up Liljegren. This is the moment.
Agreed. I also like the idea that someone brought up yesterday.......have 7 d-men. Bring up both Liljegren and Marincin with Marincin playing mostly on the PK. We have the right mix up front to double shift forwards.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Ceci wasn't very good, overall. Significantly worse when his role was bigger, like when he started the season on the top pair with Rielly. And, even with a lesser role, he could still lose you a game with some lousy play like he did against Florida. Plus he was/is unquestionably overpaid.

With that out of the way, we're worse without him. He was doing ok paired with Sandin, for the most part. And he was noticeable in a good way on the PK most nights. There's a chance we don't get that with Liljegren.

A trade needs to happen, here. A rental or a long-term solution. Either way, we can't let more games go by with the blueline in it's current state. Trade both Kapanen and Johnsson if you have to. We need a defender to stay afloat.

Imagine how much worse things will look if the blueline hangs Campbell out to dry once or twice coming up here. We're on the edge of disaster, in my opinion.

Reactions: noway

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You never root for injury but if there IS a bright side to this, if he goes on LTIR we might be able to bring in a top 4 guy without trading Kapanen, Kerfoot, or Johnsson

In order to acquire a top 4 guy, don't you have to exchange value for value?

I'm not sure Leafs want to trade Sandin, Liljegren, Robertson or next year's 1st. round pick. Heck, if they fall to the floor the rest of the way they'd want to keep this year's 1st. for the lottery, and that would put next year's pick into Carolina's hands. If they use next year's pick wouldn't it guarantee Carolina get's this year's pick even if it's 1st. overall because they would no longer be able to give them next year's pick?

Maybe something like Dermott, Abramov, 2nd. and throw in Bracco just for Bracco's sake could get you a top 4 from a team looking to rebuild. Maybe they circle back to the Kings if they now have the Cap space?

genk

Nov 15, 2015
If you combine the Jets and Leafs defense, you might build one a contender could use.

@horner

Holl Muzzin
Barrie Sandin
Liljegren Dermott
Marincin

That is one ugly looking defense.

Well, since we've been watching for close to 60 years, wait until next year!

Well if you purposely play them all on their offside, then yeah it’s not that great. Otherwise that’s a passable group.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well if you purposely play them all on their offside, then yeah it’s not that great. Otherwise that’s a passable group.

I didn't put them that way, I copied and pasted, but I've seen others do it that way.

My assumption is that some people look from the back and some look from the front.

If I'm putting it up I do LD-RD, but I'm looking from the attack position, some people put it RD-LD because they're viewing from the defend position.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So is Ceci on LTIR?
Has Lily been called up?
Did Freddy come off LTIR?
Did Hutch get waived?
I assume all these things are happening but did Dubie do it today?

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
So is Ceci on LTIR?
Has Lily been called up?
Did Freddy come off LTIR?
Did Hutch get waived?
I assume all these things are happening but did Dubie do it today?
I don't think Freddie wasn't put on LTIR , No Hutch hasn't yet been waived , yes Lily was called up and Kaskiso sent back down .Conveniently Ceci goes on LTIR the day after we go over our roster limit , we now have 21million in LTIR salary to go over the cap by , congratulations we may be the first 100 million dollar team lol .

Reactions: Bluelines

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't think Freddie wasn't put on LTIR , No Hutch hasn't yet been waived , yes Lily was called up and Kaskiso sent back down .Conveniently Ceci goes on LTIR the day after we go over our roster limit , we now have 21million in LTIR salary to go over the cap by , congratulations we may be the first 100 million dollar team lol .
Thanks

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
And... one with the potential to improve greatly with a bit of experience. We've also got no reason to assume that Rielly won't be back eventually.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Hate to say this... because I really can't stand the way that Leafs Nation seems to choose one defensemen each year to over analyze, over criticize and eventually run out of town. However, without trying to make any commentary on Cody Ceci's relative value... if his current injury sidelines him until the playoffs... doesn't that simplify things for Toronto getting a defenseman at the deadline? It simplifies things a lot.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I had a high ankle sprain a few years ago and it's a miserable injury. You can't walk, you can't lie down, you can't roll over in bed. Every time you move you get shooting pain. It was so painful I though I had broke it, my Dr. said I would have been better off and experienced less pain if I had broke it. On occasion I will get pain in that ankle, minor swelling for no reason... horrid injury. Ceci might be a bad defender but I do feel bad that he is going through this.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We are $114,000,000 estimated expenditures right now lol

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Hate to say this... because I really can't stand the way that Leafs Nation seems to choose one defensemen each year to over analyze, over criticize and eventually run out of town. However, without trying to make any commentary on Cody Ceci's relative value... if his current injury sidelines him until the playoffs... doesn't that simplify things for Toronto getting a defenseman at the deadline? It simplifies things a lot.

In previous years putting Ceci on LTIR would open up accumulating cap space for us to add, but because we maxed out our ACSL to make the Marner contract work, it doesn't accrue. So really, it complicates things: we probably can't trade Ceci anymore due to his injury, and we don't get any cap space relief for him being out.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Why would you put these in a right-left format?

It was a copy paste.

I explained it above ...

I've wondered that myself, but my determination is that some people are looking at it from the attacker position, and other the defender position.

If I'm opposition and defending against / facing the Leafs, Rielly is on my right side.

I've noticed this from some posters.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
In previous years putting Ceci on LTIR would open up accumulating cap space for us to add, but because we maxed out our ACSL to make the Marner contract work, it doesn't accrue. So really, it complicates things: we probably can't trade Ceci anymore due to his injury, and we don't get any cap space relief for him being out.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Leafs now have $6,534,517 in Cap space.

Sounds like he's done until the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad