Injury Report: Cody Ceci - Suspected high ankle sprain - done for season?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He just had the misfortune of playing with Rielly so often early in the year when Rielly was really off and had brutal numbers with everyone. (It came out later he was playing hurt)

Muzzin/Ceci have been elite this year and are up there with the best (they have the lowest goals against/60 of any top pair)

To me, that says Muzzin is good and Ceci goes as his situation goes.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Cody Ceci - Suspected high ankle strain - done for season?

bye bye Ceci and HELLO $4.5 in cap space.

Now Ceci would make for solid playoff depth so see you in a couple months CC

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kurtz

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Man, I turn around for a second and we have another guy out for a month+. When did this even happen??

I mean, I'd like to see Liljegren, but this is ridiculous.

Reactions: uncleben

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If the Leafs use this time to settle Tim Liljegren in it may be a blessing in disguise. With the trade and that potential call up, that could be 3 new faces in the lineup next game and hopefully between them all some momentum is sparked.

Reactions: JEI

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
To me, that says Muzzin is good and Ceci goes as his situation goes.

Whatever you think of Ceci, losing our top PK pairing that leads the NHL for fewest goals allowed/60 combined with an amazing -6.07 REL is a devastating blow IMO.

Seeing how he has had the best 5v5 defensive numbers on the team this year, I dont think hes the passenger most think he is.

I guess we will see now.

Reactions: qqaz

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Sucks for him to be injured but it is best thing to happen for the Leafs.

I've never seen a player so clueless in his own end every play/positioning he could take he would always make the worst possible decision.

Such a unreliable D can't see any Leaf fans disappointed to see him out of the line up. Wish for the best recovery and thanks for getting the leafs out of the Zaitsev contract.

horner

May 22, 2007
Its a blessing

We know have cap space to get that man we need for the now and in the future.
We also get to see what we have in ljiligren.
No matter what the advanced stats show about ceci he was week defensively. He was always getting pushed of the puck.
And if we make the playoffs we will have rielly coming back

Right now
Holl Muzzin
Barrie Sandin
Ljilugren Dermot
Marincin

player that could be included in trades
Kappy, Johnson, kerfoot, Barrie and Dermot
We need a top 4 man with term and a veteran man in case of an injury.
Potential dman available
Manson
Martinez
Dillon
Larson
Nurse
Benning
Brodin
Dumba
Demelo
Hainsey
Borowiecki
Vatanen
Severson

Pietrangelo

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Whatever you think of Ceci, losing our top PK pairing that leads the NHL for fewest goals allowed/60 combined with an amazing -6.07 REL is a devastating blow IMO.

Seeing how he has had the best 5v5 defensive numbers on the team this year, I dont think hes the passenger most think he is.

I guess we will see now.

So dramatic. Our pk is close to the bottom of the league. Ceci is nothing special and proof that advanced stats are rubbish, at least the ones fans use.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
So dramatic. Our pk is close to the bottom of the league. Ceci is nothing special and proof that advanced stats are rubbish, at least the ones fans use.

It's hard to find the perfect chemistry on a team and we went through some different pairings until things clicked. Goals against certainly isnt that advanced a stat is it? Muzzin/Ceci have by far the most minutes played on the PK and they face all the top end guys and yet their goals against leads the league. They are 2 and a half times more effective on the PK than any other pairings we use.

With them having played 40%ish of all PK minutes this year, I think it's a good enough sample size as well. Stretch their numbers out to 100% and our PK is the best in the NHL.....and it's really not even close.

The only bright side is that Muzzin/Holl had a good run in the PK as well against 2nd PP units which might translate but it also strongly suggests we are going to see more Marincin instead of Liljegren. Dermott/Marincin on the PK I'm unsure of.

Reactions: qqaz and MyBudJT

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
I need to see which defensive advanced stats Ceci is leading the league in. Pretty much all possession stats hate him. His numbers are all worse relative to teammates. His XGF% is consistently terrible. He's only above 50% against the lowest competition. He's a bottom pairing d-man on an average team and has no place on a contender.

Reactions: stopclickbait

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Whether people believe it or not, Ceci has had some of the best defensive advanced stats in the league.

Will be missed.

Injuries are ****ing us this season

That's why I don't take advanced stats seriously they can say he's good but if you watch him he's garbage.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You never root for injury but if there IS a bright side to this, if he goes on LTIR we might be able to bring in a top 4 guy without trading Kapanen, Kerfoot, or Johnsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad