Confirmed with Link: Cody Ceci signed by Edmonton (4 years @3.25mil)

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Ceci hasnt have a good season in many years and sheltered in pittsburgh

60% D zone starts, top PK pairing, no PP time.

I guess we have a different interpretation of sheltered.

Maybe now everyone sees why he gets such a bad rap. People have been continually tearing him to threads when there simply are not underlying statistics to support what they say. No one is saying he is a top pair Dman, but the last 6 years he has played some of the roughest minutes/deployment in the league with some epically bad partners (and some good), while doing quite well in the goals against, turnovers and points.

He is going to make you shake your head a few times a game, but the vast majority of D will.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Honest discussion, lol! So you didnt want to resign Larsson because injury history, and you havent a agenda.

Larsson was great last season,played every game!

Ceci hasnt have a good season in many years and sheltered in pittsburgh!

It hasnt anything to do about age!

Keith was great 5 seasons ago, hasnt played top minutes in a couple of seasons!

I hope you understand that we cheer for the same team!

You seems good with our additions/losts, but im sure aint!

Lets move on!
Still making stuff up I see.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Less unforced errors then Larsson, you must joking, dont think you ever seen Ceci played since he paired with EK65 a decade ago!Do you have any stats whos out there last minutes of tight games? Or who clears the crease for their goalie!

Ceci played 130 minutes with Karlsson over five seasons together in Ottawa haha.

At what point do you admit your memory is very clearly hazy when it comes to Ceci?

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I'm not thrilled about Ceci in any way, but some of the points you're making are awkward IMO.

The Penguins have 5 defensemen making 4M or more, mostly signed long-term. They couldn't realistically brook a discussion with Ceci's camp while that was the case. Their goaltending isn't sheltering anyone. Both their goaltenders were pretty middling at best (and certainly much worse than Smith). They surrendered more high danger chances than the Oilers did (At least according to naturalstattrick), they're pretty much in line with the Oilers as a shot suppression team (30 SA/G for Pitt, 30.7 SA/G for Edm). They're not a runaway defensive success by any metric I personally follow.

I don't view Ceci/Bouchard as an upgrade on Larsson/Bear. I think it's likely a downgrade. Of course you're paying 2M less a year for the pair & you've acquired Foegele with Bear so there's a more complex impact on the roster than just a 1:1 comparison. And the Oilers have many young, blue-chip defensemen who can easily change the picture on the back-end in one year. In much the same way that Ethan Bear showing up in phenomenal shape changed the complexion of the Oilers defense in the Fall of 2019, all it takes is Evan Bouchard to emerge as a legitimate NHL defenseman to make this perceived downgrade pretty irrelevant.

I tend to believe the Oilers biggest problem in 20-21, and certainly the 2021 playoffs, was at forward and they're CLEARLY better there. Especially in terms of mix, but I also think they've probably added 30 goals with Hyman, Foegele and Ryan in over Kahun, Ennis and Khaira respectively.

You have some realistic views at some things! Yes of course we are better up front but i dpnt think its matters with our current goalies and soft D!

So add Hyman was a waste and hes probably a 5.5 m 3-4 liner in 3-4 years!

When some posters think that our D is status Q or even better, that i call a temporary blindness.

Could Keith handle big minutes again? Can Ceci play top 4 without a helping hand. Nurse cant nurse all 3 RhD, so everything falling on Keith, pk etc, thats a heavy burden for a 40 year!

Our goaltending make it impossible to go anywhere in a ev playoff, that has history tought us, you need atleast a real starter and he need to over perform!

And by the way, dont understand why the best C in the world needs a 5.5 m winger, Crosby did fine with less true the years, you need only to find a fit, Maroon got 30 playing with McD!

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Stas from his itme in toronto:

Every D man playing with him had a tougher QOC than without him. Every D man playing with him had a lower goals against per 60 than without him.

Therefore it is pretty obvious he was the one saving his teammates, not the other way around.

Are you his brother or what? Ceci costed Leafs goals and games, he got worse as season runned!

Very strange that Leafs didnt kept Ceci seemed to be their best D listened to you, think they could match 1.25 from pittsburgh!

He cant handle top 4 minutes without a D partner who carries him! Wait and see, hf oil will hate him before cristmas and you will go away quietly to your own board!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Are you his brother or what? Ceci costed Leafs goals and games, he got worse as season runned!

Very strange that Leafs didnt kept Ceci seemed to be their best D listened to you, think they could match 1.25 from pittsburgh!

He cant handle top 4 minutes without a D partner who carries him! Wait and see, hf oil will hate him before cristmas and you will go away quietly to your own board!
What does this even mean? You don't need to be his brother to have the ability to access stats that are publicly available online, something you have seemingly failed to do multiple times.

You've clearly been proven wrong on multiple points but keep doubling down, and in the process you're embarrassing yourself.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
What does this even mean?

You've clearly been proven wrong on multiple points but keep doubling down, and in the process you're embarrassing yourself.

Are you related too? Step in and defend your agenda!

Throwing stats doesnt effect the way i see in Ceci, it was and still as a bad signing!

Why wasnt Ceci a keeper if he was the best D out there and made others better!

Ffs , start to think, he signed for 1.25 m with Pitts, and you call it a cap move when Leafs walked away.

You have a tendence too seek confrontation in mosts threads, so try to cool down a bit!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Are you related too? Step in and defend your agenda!

Throwing stats doesnt effect the way i see in Ceci, it was and still as a bad signing!

Why wasnt Ceci a keeper if he was the best D out there and made others better!

Ffs , start to think, he signed for 1.25 m with Pitts, and you call it a cap move when Leafs walked away.

You have a tendence too seek confrontation in mosts threads, so try to cool down a bit!
I never called it a cap move when the leafs didnt sign him.

It was a cap move when the pens couldnt afford him.

The way you see it? With your eyes? the ones that had you convinced he played alot with EK65? Or what he was sheltered with the pens? Or that Bear is a good skater?

Have you ever thought that you aren't as knowledgeable about Ceci as you think you are?

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Ceci at least has size, reach, and mobility; Pittsburgh HF fans always seemed to rave about his ability to break up cycles and make defensive zone plays while withstanding punishment

Yeah I'm not expecting him to come in and be as good as Larsson was last year but if he can play a similar role to Larsson and provide performance commensurate with his salary then that will cover the bet and should be enough. Keith should be a better partner than what Larsson got to play with last year and hopefully with less minutes and against lesser competition than he played against in Chicago the 2nd pair with Ceci and Keith can be a net positive for the Oilers.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I never called it a cap move when the leafs didnt sign him.

It was a cap move when the pens couldnt afford him.

The way you see it? With your eyes? the ones that had you convinced he played alot with EK65? Or what he was sheltered with the pens? Or that Bear is a good skater?

Have you ever thought that you aren't as knowledgeable about Ceci as you think you are?

Yes i probably mix up some things, but im not pretend that im a proscout either!

How many games did you saw of Ceci, saw perhaps 2 last season but probably 30 + games with Leafs!

And my god isnt misleading stats either!

Here you have a closer input on Ceci with Leafs! He didnt made his D partners better but worse and fans didnt even wanted him back for cheap!

The Leafs should not consider circling back to Cody Ceci

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yes i probably mix up some things, but im not pretend that im a proscout either!

How many games did you saw of Ceci, saw perhaps 2 last season but probably 30 + games with Leafs!

And my god isnt misleading stats either!

Here you have a closer input on Ceci with Leafs! He didnt made his D partners better but worse and fans didnt even wanted him back for cheap!

The Leafs should not consider circling back to Cody Ceci
Yes.

Using a leafsnation post to back up your statement.

Lots of oiler fans didn't want Bear back, I guess its a good thing we got rid of him too.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Yes.

Lots of oiler fans didn't want Bear back, I guess its a good thing we got rid of him too.

But as a metrics guy like your self, the post debunked his so called make others better metrics!

Leafs fans can be frustating, but here i think almost everyone didnt want him back at any price, says alot because they saw him a full season!

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
You have some realistic views at some things! Yes of course we are better up front but i dpnt think its matters with our current goalies and soft D!

So add Hyman was a waste and hes probably a 5.5 m 3-4 liner in 3-4 years!

When some posters think that our D is status Q or even better, that i call a temporary blindness.

Could Keith handle big minutes again? Can Ceci play top 4 without a helping hand. Nurse cant nurse all 3 RhD, so everything falling on Keith, pk etc, thats a heavy burden for a 40 year!

Our goaltending make it impossible to go anywhere in a ev playoff, that has history tought us, you need atleast a real starter and he need to over perform!

And by the way, dont understand why the best C in the world needs a 5.5 m winger, Crosby did fine with less true the years, you need only to find a fit, Maroon got 30 playing with McD!

Maroon scored 27 goals playing with McDavid and Draisaitl & the Oilers mix at forward was much better for it (in spite of the fact that McDavid and Draisaitl would become significantly better players individually). The problem is Maroon could not follow that up, nor could Kassian follow up 30 goals in 140 games and you need someone to generate off the cycle & get to the net. It'd be nice if they could get that going with two bucks and a popsicle stick but you don't find that very often & Hyman has elite results in that exact role over the last few years. I won't comment on the long term risks of that deal. I don't think you're wrong to think that's a possibility. But I do think the Oilers are CLEARLY better at forward. Possibly the single most improved team from the perspective that they realistically added 30+ goals to the group while addressing a problem around the net and on the cycle.

Keith doesn't need to handle big minutes tbh. He's probably going to play 4 minutes less a game than he did last year. Darnell Nurse and Tyson Barrie establishing a productive, minute eating and successful top pair makes life so much easier on players like Keith and Ceci. And Adam Larsson, who had his best year last year probably in large part because he was firmly a second pair defenseman for the first time since the Oilers acquired him.

Last edited:

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Maroon scored 27 goals playing with McDavid and Draisaitl & the Oilers mix at forward was much better for it (in spite of the fact that McDavid and Draisaitl would become significantly better players individually). The problem is Maroon could not follow that up, nor could Kassian follow up 30 goals in 140 games and you need someone to generate off the cycle & get to the net. It'd be nice if they could get that going with two bucks and a popsicle stick but you don't find that very often & Hyman has elite results in that exact role over the last few years. I won't comment on the long term risks of that deal. I don't think you're wrong to think that's a possibility. But I do think the Oilers are CLEARLY better at forward. Possibly the single most improved team from the perspective that they realistically added 30+ goals to the group while addressing a problem around the net and on the cycle.

Keith doesn't need to handle big minutes tbh. He's probably going to play 4 minutes less a game than he did last year. Darnell Nurse and Tyson Barrie establishing a productive, minute eating and successful top pair makes life so much easier on players like Keith and Ceci. And Adam Larsson, who had his best year last year probably in large part because he was firmly a second pair defenseman for the first time since the Oilers acquired him.

I think Hyman is a real warrior out there, but i dont see the need to improve our fw core when we arent gonna make a splash anyway, our goaltending is far from enough, Smith is 0-5 in playoff games with Oilers, a small sample but when in his age had his prime 10 years ago, makes it hard to swallow!

Against wpg, we lost to a better goalie then ours, he was average at best but had some real deciding f ups who cost us!

Even if every if on D will over achieve, its not a D you winning cup with!

Larsson is a shutdown D who can handle topminutes and he and Klefbom did it well especially 16/17 when we was a toronto call from conference final, Talbot was topnotch ,drai beasting and kassian lifted his game at playoffs.

Probably was Nurse the main reason for Larsson had a great season but i think his personal problems, played injured and that Klefbom got injured, that created a mess in our D, took almost a season to get it on right track again!

Who from our blueline chips could be ready a year from now? It isnt Broberg!

Probably Bouchard could make some impact next season, this season will be a learning process!

But we are stucked with Ceci for 4 years, no one will touch that contract if it goes south pretty fast! Keiths contract is only 2 years more.

Yes Nurse can handle Barrie 5on5 pretty well, but Keith/ Ceci must pk thats not easy minutes!

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Stas from his itme in toronto:

Every D man playing with him had a tougher QOC than without him. Every D man playing with him had a lower goals against per 60 than without him.

Therefore it is pretty obvious he was the one saving his teammates, not the other way around.
...what?

You literally just wrote that Ceci played against weaker competition than his teammates while allowing more goals against/60.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
D skating speed and puck movement has increased. Of the regulars (so far), fast or at least above average skating D:

Nurse, Keith, Ceci. Barrie has adequate skating (probably a bit above average), Bouchard is average (maybe it’s improved this offseason) but offset by elite puck movement. If his positional play is good (he has the brain for it), he will be very good defensively as well given he has size and reach.

Russell of course is slower, but hopefully he isn’t a regular. I think if Samorukov takes the 3LD his skating is fine but he’s not a burner.

Bear and Larsson were probably as good as (older) Russell at best, so skating has improved overall.
Keith doesn't skate like he used to. He's not fast anymore.

Bear and Larsson are also far smarter players than Ceci while being much better defenders than Barrie.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
He had the lowest turnovers per 60 of all leaf D men. Generally by quite a bit. While playing the most PP minutes and top QOC. That narrative is simply incorrect.He was under consistent pressure form the other teams top players yet turned it over far less than the other D men.
In the same way that Smid never turned the puck over as much as Petry, sure.

As in, Ceci would let Rielly or Dermott break out the puck like he did with Matheson this past season.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yes.

I think Bear is going to get buried in Carolina. He’ll start the season on the third pairing and won’t have the same rope to make mistakes like he did in Edmonton or a partner like Nurse to carry him. The Atlantic is a tough division with 5 teams that can challenge for the division title. There won’t be much room for error.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I think Bear is going to get buried in Carolina. He’ll start the season on the third pairing and won’t have the same rope to make mistakes like he did in Edmonton or a partner like Nurse to carry him. The Atlantic is a tough division with 5 teams that can challenge for the division title. There won’t be much room for error.
Bear will do more than fine in Carolina on the second pair with Pesce above him and DeAngelo below him.

People are too quick to discredit Bear without recognizing that he injured his brain last season, and it tends to take players significant time to fully recover their game.

The main "Bear sucks" moments are (1) when Tippett called him to the bench right after a penalty kill at which point McDavid turned the puck over, and the other is (2) his giveaway that lead to a goal where every single forward had fled the zone and he was forced to make a dangerous stretch pass to move the puck.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Bear will do more than fine in Carolina on the second pair with Pesce above him and DeAngelo below him.

People are too quick to discredit Bear without recognizing that he injured his brain last season, and it tends to take players significant time to fully recover their game.

The main "Bear sucks" moments are (1) when Tippett called him to the bench right after a penalty kill at which point McDavid turned the puck over, and the other is (2) his giveaway that lead to a goal where every single forward had fled the zone and he was forced to make a dangerous stretch pass to move the puck.

Bear is nowhere near as talented as ADA. He’s a better human being but Carolina doesn’t care about that since they actually signed ADA. Carolina has a stacked D. It’s not going to be easy for Bear to play full time in that lineup.

The OT goal was the least of the Bear sucks moments. Most know it was Tippet making a bad change and Mcdavid not getting the puck in deep.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Bear is nowhere near as talented as ADA. He’s a better human being but Carolina doesn’t care about that since they actually signed ADA. Carolina has a stacked D. It’s not going to be easy for Bear to play full time in that lineup.

The OT goal was the least of the Bear sucks moments. Most know it was Tippet making a bad change and Mcdavid not getting the puck in deep.
AdA is absolutely atrocious defending in his own zone. He's going to be getting sheltered af minutes and powerplay time (similar to what we wish we could do with Barrie).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad