Confirmed with Link: Cody Ceci signed by Edmonton (4 years @3.25mil)

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
So he should be a 23 minute a night defenseman?

He averaged just under 23 minutes per night through his first 15 games as a Leaf. He had more games over 28 minutes than under 20 minutes haha.

Well he didnt looked good in Leafs second half of the season, he isnt a defensive dynamo and we have 2 Rhd whos better pp alternatives!

What is this based on? I've seen many people argue that he's a bottom-pair guy. I don't really know much about Ceci but according to his numbers he's been solid in top4 minutes the past two seasons. Seems like he's been playing like a #4 guy pretty much. Are the numbers wrong? Or is this one of those cases where he sometimes makes egregious turnovers and people judge him off those isolated instances and not the overall picture?

Yes could be a truth, but i saw alot of Leafs games that season and he was awful under pressure, gave up the puck several times a game.

Dont think the guy is a disaster, but playing him higher up then bottom pair is asking for trouble. We need a good defensive RhD, we have 2 who needs Sheltered minutes and Ceci isnt good enough.

The notion that Ceci can't cover whatever Larsson was doing for most of his time here is ludicrous. Very little to choose between the players and with Ceci probably being the more consistent player with less of those game funks that has me thinking WTF you doing Larsson?

Ceci will probably be more reliable, less unforced errors.

Less unforced errors then Larsson, you must joking, dont think you ever seen Ceci played since he paired with EK65 a decade ago!

Puckiq.com.
l

Prefer to see games and judge the players from that!

Do you have any stats whos out there last minutes of tight games? Or who clears the crease for their goalie!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If he has better skating than Bear, along with a bigger body, that bodes well. Curious how his skating stacks up against the rest of our D group.

Bear had trouble absorbing WC or North division level punishment. Couple years in and he's been pounded way too many times. I mean Bear is more mobile than we've seen here in last year and a half. But I think some of that is due to him getting erased so many times. I mean he gets blown up. When he was succesful he could evade some of the pressure and hits. Soon as that forcefield disappeared it was open season.

Bear won't be longterm in this league. EC though is probably a bit better look for him. In anycase Bear can't be in top4. If he is it'll cost your team.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
If he has better skating than Bear, along with a bigger body, that bodes well. Curious how his skating stacks up against the rest of our D group.

D skating speed and puck movement has increased. Of the regulars (so far), fast or at least above average skating D:

Nurse, Keith, Ceci. Barrie has adequate skating (probably a bit above average), Bouchard is average (maybe it’s improved this offseason) but offset by elite puck movement. If his positional play is good (he has the brain for it), he will be very good defensively as well given he has size and reach.

Russell of course is slower, but hopefully he isn’t a regular. I think if Samorukov takes the 3LD his skating is fine but he’s not a burner.

Bear and Larsson were probably as good as (older) Russell at best, so skating has improved overall.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I was bit apprehensive of the signing, but reading some takes in here gives me a bit more hope. Think I just need to watch him play before making too many judgements.

Like a poster said above, Larsson only played upto his capabilities in like half of his seasons. No guarantee that he would of performed well over a 4 year term either.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I was bit apprehensive of the signing, but reading some takes in here gives me a bit more hope. Think I just need to watch him play before making too many judgements.

Like a poster said above, Larsson only played upto his capabilities in like half of his seasons. No guarantee that he would of performed well over a 4 year term either.

There is a very good chance that Larsson spends the last season or two of that contract on LTIR due to his recurring back issues and the heavy game that he plays

Reactions: fresh meat

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I, for one, like this signing. It's nothing new for some defensemen to find their "style" of game which suits them best on the northside of 25. I am going to be optimistic about him playing here.

I haven't read the entire thread so if this has been mentioned already I apologize but if anything, we can pretend Hall for Ceci happened (which was originally rumored by Dreger I think) and the Oilers extended him :laugh:.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
You mean the second half of the season where he had the best defensive metrics on the Leafs while playing 40% of his ice time against elite competition?

Dont know what you mean about defensive metrics, you can easily be saved by your pair mate and linemates.

When a guy cant handle pressure, he cost you games with bad turnovers.

I really hope that he can put up a decent performance, but then Keith needs to come back to Norris days.

We are very very soft at D this coming season, we lost Bear who can skate out of trouble.

Any fans should be very nervoys about our D coming season. Frpm goalie out, keith a big? Barrie also a ? If need to take other then offensive minutes.

A young rookie who needs be sheltered and is unproved. Ceci also a big ? seems to crack under pressure and need another ? in Keith to hold his hand.

And no goalies to save our ass, more likely they get less support!

Think we have problem to even make the playoffs!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Dont know what you mean about defensive metrics, you can easily be saved by your pair mate and linemates.

I really hope that he can put up a decent performance, but then Keith needs to come back to Norris days.

We are very very soft at D this coming season, we lost Bear who can skate out of trouble.

Any fans should be very nervoys about our D coming season. Frpm goalie out, keith a big? Barrie also a ? If need to take other then offensive minutes.

A young rookie who needs be sheltered and is unproved. Ceci also a big ? seems to crack under pressure and need another ? in Keith to hold his hand.

Do you dismiss all stats presented at you and just say eye test trumps all?

Reactions: TB12

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

Bear has many strengths as a fine player, but the bolded is one of his biggest weaknesses. He can’t skate out of trouble, which is part of why he was moved

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Do you dismiss all stats presented at you and just say eye test trumps all?

Dont dismiss, but put less importance in it then you! Its not the holy bible, its only a tool coaches can use to help them to evaluate a player, but eyetest and scouting is the important ones!

Some players doesnt fit the metrics, but doing great anyway!

Having to many new D is asking for trouble, took a almost a season of a mess when Klefbom got injured before our D settled down.

2 new oldies on their way down, a Barrie who needs Nurse to save his ass, a newbie in Bouchard who needs sheltered minutes. A goalie combo whos very suspect.

Seems to be a receipt for fail this coming season!

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Dont dismiss, but put less importance in it then you! Its not the holy bible, its only a tool coaches can use to help them to evaluate a player, but eyetest and scouting is the important ones!

Having to many new D is asking for trouble, took a almost a season of a mess when Klefbom got injured before our D settled down.

2 new oldies on their way down, a Barrie who needs Nurse to save his ass, a newbie in Bouchard who needs sheltered minutes. A goalie combo whos very suspect.

Not sure how it’s more of a recipe for failure than keeping and playing two young D that were drowning in their assignments and adding more young D to that pile

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Using your same eye test you came to this conclusion though

"we lost Bear who can skate out of trouble."

That is one of the few things bear can't actually do.

Reactions: Faelko and Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Bear has many strengths as a fine player, but the bolded is one of his biggest weaknesses. He can’t skate out of trouble, which is part of why he was moved

I think this is the #1 reason he'll never really be a reliable top 4 player. He gets really abused on the forecheck and this wasn't just an issue this most recent season, it was becoming apparent as a problem in the second half of his rookie year on.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Ceci in 19-20 with the Leafs:
EVTOI/GP: 17:32
TOI vs Elite: 329.9
% of TOI vs Elite: 34.8

GF%: 53.75
xGF: 54.21
xGA/60: 2.2
SCA/60: 26.87
HDCA/60: 10.32

Larsson in 20-21:
EVTOI/GP: 17:14
TOI vs Elite: 304.9
% of TOI vs Elite: 32.8

GF%: 51.52
xGF: 50.72
xGA/60: 1.94
SCA/60: 26.11
HDCA/60: 9.08

I always find it interesting how a narrative can change things so much. Look at that comparison. Apparently Ceci was an abomination and worse than Tyson "the worst defenseman in the league" Barrie in Toronto while Larsson was a top-end defensive defenseman that will be near impossible to replace last year.

Not saying Ceci will easily replace Larsson, but he's already played at the level Larsson did last season. It definitely isn't out of the realm of possibility for him to match that or even exceed it going forward.

Taking things a bit further, he was also very good the last few years in GA/60, HDGA/60 and On Ice Save Percentage. So while the CF% people use that as a narrow divider, it seems that he does allow more chances than he gives up on ice but also the puck doesn't go in due to his play without the puck.

Our fans have this idea that Ceci is junk based on the Hall trade rumors but he put up a number of good seasons since then.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Not sure how it’s more of a recipe for failure than keeping and playing two young D that were drowning in their assignments and adding more young D to that pile

Why signing 2 downhill D, who havent had those assignments for years, Ceci probably ever, nursed by his D partners!

Tired to discuss sonething we have the answer in spring 2022.

My bet with this D corp, goalies, is a shoe in to playoff at best, will have a good start then it going down when other teams gear up.

Whats your expections on the season, you like our D and our fw group is slightly improved, must be pretty high?
Dont need to argue different opinions, just wait and see, im hope im wrong though!

Using your same eye test you came to this conclusion though

"we lost Bear who can skate out of trouble."

That is one of the few things bear can't actually do.

He had a great rookie season is a good skater, had a bit of a sophomore last one, but with him you have some hope of develelopment atleast

My point is, you know what you got in Larsson, which isnt replaced. Then trade Bear for a 3rd liner and add 2 down spiral defenders who is big ? Handle tough minutes, with a suspect goalie combo, im scared!

All our D signings by trade or Fa has been failures true the years, cant see why these 2 change that trend, its not for future, just potential stop gaps!

Same to you , you seems also happy with our D and goalie combo.!

Whats your expections on the season?

We have the answer in the spring 2022, dont need to argue semantics and different views on players, just wait and see! I hope im wrong though!
Cheers!

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Why signing 2 downhill D, who havent had those assignments for years, Ceci probably ever, nursed by his D partners!

My bet with this D corp, goalies, is a shoe in to playoff at best, will have a good start then it going down when other teams gear up.

Whats your expections on the season, you like our D and our fw group is slightly improved, must be pretty high?
Dont need to argue different opinions, just wait and see, im hope im wrong though!

He had a great rookie season is a good skater, had a bit of a sophomore last one, but with him you have some hope of develelopment atleast

My point is, you know what you got in Larsson, which isnt replaced. Then trade Bear for a 3rd liner and add 2 down spiral defenders who is big ? Handle tough minutes, with a suspect goalie combo, im scared!

All our D signings by trade or Fa has been failures true the years, cant see why these 2 change that trend, its not for future, just potential stop gaps!

We have the answer in the spring 2022, dont need to argue semantics and different views on players, just wait and see! I hope im wrong though!
Cheers!

There is a very good chance that running

Nurse - Bear
Jones - ??
Russell - Bouchard

would be a guaranteed playoffs miss. Even if they picked up Ceci or someone else affordable for 2RD, that is not a playoff caliber defense. Standing pat on D and missing the playoffs would likely lead to McDrai being traded

Larsson wasn’t re-signing here so I’m not sure what the fixation is. It’s been pointed out multiple times that Ceci and Larsson have had comparable stats in good recent seasons and both have had poor recent seasons. Both are imperfect D men that should be no higher than the 4th d man

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
There is a very good chance that running

Nurse - Bear
Jones - ??
Russell - Bouchard

would be a guaranteed playoffs miss. Even if they picked up Ceci or someone else affordable for 2RD, that is not a playoff caliber defense. Standing pat on D and missing the playoffs would likely lead to McDrai being traded

Larsson wasn’t re-signing here so I’m not sure what the fixation is. It’s been pointed out multiple times that Ceci and Larsson have had comparable stats in good recent seasons and both have had poor recent seasons. Both are imperfect D men that should be no higher than the 4th d man

Russel / jones hadnt happened, where do you get those fantasies from!

Larsson was a sure signing until a couple of days before the signing with Seattle.

Ceci and Larsson has 2 different toolboxes and formcurves, 1 in his prime and the other downhill, you can strap a Lagesson or another less D with Larsson, when Ceci needs a better partner then himself.

Everyone know that we needed to upgrade our D, but in my view its look worse and with more ifs then last season.

Seems to be panicmoves by Holland, very unplanned, need to take in 3 new Defenders into the team which 2 of them is stopgaps at best for 8.5m in cap

We add a 28 years old Winger for 7x5.5 and not a penny for our goalie situation!

See nothing for next season and not much for the future, rather play with a cheap D and no expensive wingers when the outcome is the same.

And going for it the season after, what a waste!

Had it, we dont come any further to agree, just wait and see the result!

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Russel / jones hadnt happened, where do you get those fantasies from!

Larsson was a sure signing until a couple of days before the signing with Seattle.

Ceci and Larsson has 2 different toolboxes and formcurves, 1 in his prime and the other downhill, you can strap a Lagesson or another less D with Larsson, when Ceci needs a better partner then himself.

Everyone know that we needed to upgrade our D, but in my view its look worse and with more ifs then last season.

Seems to be panicmoves by Holland, very unplanned, need to take in 3 new Defenders into the team which 2 of them is stopgaps at best for 8.5m in cap

We add a 28 years old Winger for 7x5.5 and not a penny for our goalie situation!

See nothing for next season and not much for the future, rather play with a cheap D and no expensive wingers when the outcome is the same.

And going for it the season after, what a waste!

Had it, we dont come any further to agree, just wait and see the result!

If they didn’t trade for Keith, who were you adding for 2nd pair left defense? Otherwise they were banking on Jones taking the 2nd pair left defense spot.

How is 27 year old Ceci downhill but Larsson who is older with injury history isn’t?

Anyhow, going through the rest of your speculative complaints without any solutions suggested, I don’t think we’re going to have an honest discussion here so I’m going to step out.

Cheers

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
If they didn’t trade for Keith, who were you adding for 2nd pair left defense? Otherwise they were banking on Jones taking the 2nd pair left defense spot.

How is 27 year old Ceci downhill but Larsson who is older with injury history isn’t?

Anyhow, going through the rest of your speculative complaints without any solutions suggested, I don’t think we’re going to have an honest discussion here so I’m going to step out.

Cheers

Honest discussion, lol! So you didnt want to resign Larsson because injury history, and you havent a agenda.

Larsson was great last season,played every game!

Ceci hasnt have a good season in many years and sheltered in pittsburgh!

It hasnt anything to do about age!

Keith was great 5 seasons ago, hasnt played top minutes in a couple of seasons!

I hope you understand that we cheer for the same team!

You seems good with our additions/losts, but im sure aint!

Lets move on!

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Honest discussion, lol! So you didnt want to resign Larsson because injury history, and you havent a agenda.

Larsson was great last season,played every game!

Ceci hasnt have a good season in many years and sheltered in pittsburgh!

It hasnt anything to do about age!

Keith was great 5 seasons ago, hasnt played top minutes in a coupke of seasons!

I hope you understand that we cheer for the same team!

You seems good with our additions/losts, but im sure aint!

Lets move on!

I never said I didn’t want to re-sign Larsson. I did, but signing him isn’t without risk. Why are people acting like he was some stud 2nd pair guy his whole time here? He didn’t want to re-sign here, so it’s a moot point. They signed an also imperfect guy to replace him for less AAV. Unless they were making a trade for someone (and putting assets out), not sure who else was suitable. Do you?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Cheers!

Bear is far from a good skater, he’s more average which isn’t good when you’re a smaller D. It’s not a big deal during the regular season when teams just go through the motions but it’s a huge problem come playoff time when teams utilize strategies. He was targeted by both Chicago and Winnipeg and looked like an AHL Dman. Now that’s he’s with Carolina he’s going to be third pairing or 7th D, which should help his development.

I want to have hope in this D group. We know what we have in Nurse, Barrie and Russell but there is questions with Kieth, Ceci and Bouchard. We’ll be in good shape if we get the Pittsburgh version of Ceci, Kieth can perform with 2nd pairing duties and Bouchard lives up to his potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad