Confirmed with Link: Cody Ceci signed by Edmonton (4 years @3.25mil)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Why signing 2 downhill D, who havent had those assignments for years, Ceci probably ever, nursed by his D partners!

Tired to discuss sonething we have the answer in spring 2022.

My bet with this D corp, goalies, is a shoe in to playoff at best, will have a good start then it going down when other teams gear up.

Whats your expections on the season, you like our D and our fw group is slightly improved, must be pretty high?
Dont need to argue different opinions, just wait and see, im hope im wrong though!

He had a great rookie season is a good skater, had a bit of a sophomore last one, but with him you have some hope of develelopment atleast

My point is, you know what you got in Larsson, which isnt replaced. Then trade Bear for a 3rd liner and add 2 down spiral defenders who is big ? Handle tough minutes, with a suspect goalie combo, im scared!

All our D signings by trade or Fa has been failures true the years, cant see why these 2 change that trend, its not for future, just potential stop gaps!

Same to you , you seems also happy with our D and goalie combo.!

Whats your expections on the season?

We have the answer in the spring 2022, dont need to argue semantics and different views on players, just wait and see! I hope im wrong though!
Cheers!
Bear absolutely is not a good skater.

we know what we got in Larsson? You mean the player that was good in 2 out of 5 seasons here? Did you miss the other seasons where he was a disaster and consistently injured?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Dont dismiss, but put less importance in it then you! Its not the holy bible, its only a tool coaches can use to help them to evaluate a player, but eyetest and scouting is the important ones!

Two consecutive NHL coaches have used Ceci in a top four role. In Toronto he played the whole season there. In Pittsburgh by the playoffs he was solidly in the top four.

Some fans hate the guy, but two good organizations in a row have utilized the guy as a top four d-man. Maybe the hate is a bit irrational?

We will see for ourselves I guess

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers have kinda morphed into the 19-20 Toronto Maple Leafs.

That team had a bad start but under Keefe was good (103 point pace). But out in the first round obviously.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Two consecutive NHL coaches have used Ceci in a top four role. In Toronto he played the whole season there. In Pittsburgh by the playoffs he was solidly in the top four.

Some fans hate the guy, but two good organizations in a row have utilized the guy as a top four d-man. Maybe the hate is a bit irrational?

We will see for ourselves I guess

Well ,you dont let a a good top 4 guy walk for 3.3m ? So he wasnt the gm/coaches choice going forward!

As you said, wait and see!

Im seen enough of him though to say that he will be exposed in our D, no one to holding on to, will cost us games and less help to our goalies if getting top4 minutes!

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Well ,you dont let a a good top 4 guy walk for 3.3m ? So he wasnt the gm/coaches choice going forward!

Im seen enough of him though to say that he will be exposed in our D, no one to holding on to, will cost us games and less help to our goalies if getting top4 minutes!

Toronto also let Barrie walk and we see how well he played here. Penguins had no cap to re-sign Ceci. It is rumoured that they wanted to.

To the last point, every defensemen costs teams games, even the very best. Your favourites, Larsson and Bear, cost this team wins. You may have seen the playoff games that Bear was instrumental in giving up game losing goals this past season as well

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Toronto also let Barrie walk and we see how well he played here. Penguins had no cap to re-sign Ceci. It is rumoured that they wanted to.

To the last point, every defensemen costs teams games, even the very best. Your favourites, Larsson and Bear, cost this team wins. You may have seen the playoff games that Bear was instrumental in giving up game losing goals this past season as well

You again, like a bubblegum under the shoes, lol!

Barrie didnt performed because they didnt had any fit for him and he wanted to much and to long!

Why did Leafs walk away from Ceci? The guy signed for 1.25 in pittsburgh!
For that price, its worth it!

Of course Oilers gave him 3.3 m and 4 freaking years!

Not a Bear fan at all, but thinking that replacing him with Ceci moves the needle is pure wishing or Keith (LhD)
Better to save the cap for another season, when cant even upgrade the goalies/D, we are a worse defensive team in my opinion! We need a Norris Keith to hold the Fort!

Like Larssons game alot, need tough big D who can punish and win battles around the board, we looks softer then cotton coming season!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Salary cap is a thing, and you can't force players to sign.

I guess Edmonton shouldnt let a top 4 guy walk over 4m a year.

Oh wait, he had an option as a UFA to leave, and Larsson executed his right.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

I think he meant Ceci, but whatever. Lol

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen

Very bad management to think Larsson was a sure easy signing, should had been active long before he reached Fa!

Ceci signed in Pitts for 1.25m, Leafs didnt want him at any price.

That says alot, with their soft crappy D!

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Why signing 2 downhill D, who havent had those assignments for years, Ceci probably ever, nursed by his D partners!

Tired to discuss sonething we have the answer in spring 2022.

My bet with this D corp, goalies, is a shoe in to playoff at best, will have a good start then it going down when other teams gear up.

Whats your expections on the season, you like our D and our fw group is slightly improved, must be pretty high?
Dont need to argue different opinions, just wait and see, im hope im wrong though!

He had a great rookie season is a good skater, had a bit of a sophomore last one, but with him you have some hope of develelopment atleast

My point is, you know what you got in Larsson, which isnt replaced. Then trade Bear for a 3rd liner and add 2 down spiral defenders who is big ? Handle tough minutes, with a suspect goalie combo, im scared!

All our D signings by trade or Fa has been failures true the years, cant see why these 2 change that trend, its not for future, just potential stop gaps!

Same to you , you seems also happy with our D and goalie combo.!

Whats your expections on the season?

We have the answer in the spring 2022, dont need to argue semantics and different views on players, just wait and see! I hope im wrong though!
Cheers!

Bear is a weak skater, especially for his size. His lateral movement without the puck in the d-zone, tendency to get squeezed off easily by bigger forecheckers, and consequently having zero options with the puck after being rendered immobile were all very evident in the last two postseasons.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006

Barrie didnt performed because they didnt had any fit for him and he wanted to much and to long!

Not a Bear fan at all, but thinking that replacing him with Ceci moves the needle is pure wishing or Keith (LhD)
Better to save the cap for another season, when cant even upgrade the goalies/D, we are a worse defensive team in my opinion! We need a Norris Keith to hold the Fort!

Like Larssons game alot, need tough big D who can punish and win battles around the board, we looks softer then cotton coming season!

Ceci at least has size, reach, and mobility; Pittsburgh HF fans always seemed to rave about his ability to break up cycles and make defensive zone plays while withstanding punishment

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Bear is a weak skater, especially for his size. His lateral movement without the puck in the d-zone, tendency to get squeezed off easily by bigger forecheckers, and consequently having zero options with the puck after being rendered immobile were all very evident in the last two postseasons.

As i said before, not much of a Bear supporter, but seeing our trade for Keith and his cap hit and Ceci Fa signing, i rather go with Bear for another season, he had a good rookieseason and has potential to develop.

We havent adressed our goaltending and got 2 big ? at D with none future!

Rather saved capspace for another season , add a younger stud for that 8.5 for Keith/Ceci, a guy who improve our D. And sign a real starter!

We arent going anywhere with our current goalie combo and our D corp!
And still have Ceci for 3 more years and Keith 1 year, we are handcuffed for 2 years right now! Sadly!

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
As i said before, not much of a Bear supporter, but seeing our trade for Keith and his cap hit and Ceci Fa signing, i rather go with Bear for another season, he had a good rookieseason and has potential to develop.

Rather saved capspace for another season , add a younger stud for that 8.5 for Keith/Ceci, a guy who improve our D. And sign a real starter!

And still have Ceci for 3 more years and Keith 1 year, we are handcuffed for 2 years right now! Sadly!

I didn't watch Ceci last year, but Pen fans really liked his defensive IQ and raw skills; let's at least give him and Keith, who schooled us in the play-ins recently, a chance to show us what they have.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Ceci at least has size, reach, and mobility; Pittsburgh HF fans always seemed to rave about his ability to break up cycles and make defensive zone plays while withstanding punishment

And Boston Hf fans raved about Ference when he signed with us!

But Ceci wasnt wort more then 1.25m for pittsburgh, thats the reality!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

You are aware we got a good piece back for Bear right? They didn't just give him away.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Using this as evidence doesn't mean anything.

Edmonton thought Koskinen was worth 4.5m.

That's the reality.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006

I remember Boston fans raving about his leadership and community involvement; many warned that his skating and raw skills were deteriorating, things that Keith still possesses.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

I'm not thrilled about Ceci in any way, but some of the points you're making are awkward IMO.

The Penguins have 5 defensemen making 4M or more, mostly signed long-term. They couldn't realistically brook a discussion with Ceci's camp while that was the case. Their goaltending isn't sheltering anyone. Both their goaltenders were pretty middling at best (and certainly much worse than Smith). They surrendered more high danger chances than the Oilers did (At least according to naturalstattrick), they're pretty much in line with the Oilers as a shot suppression team (30 SA/G for Pitt, 30.7 SA/G for Edm). They're not a runaway defensive success by any metric I personally follow.

I don't view Ceci/Bouchard as an upgrade on Larsson/Bear. I think it's likely a downgrade. Of course you're paying 2M less a year for the pair & you've acquired Foegele with Bear so there's a more complex impact on the roster than just a 1:1 comparison. And the Oilers have many young, blue-chip defensemen who can easily change the picture on the back-end in one year. In much the same way that Ethan Bear showing up in phenomenal shape changed the complexion of the Oilers defense in the Fall of 2019, all it takes is Evan Bouchard to emerge as a legitimate NHL defenseman to make this perceived downgrade pretty irrelevant.

I tend to believe the Oilers biggest problem in 20-21, and certainly the 2021 playoffs, was at forward and they're CLEARLY better there. Especially in terms of mix, but I also think they've probably added 30 goals with Hyman, Foegele and Ryan in over Kahun, Ennis and Khaira respectively. Offense and defense are not separate positions: Cody Ceci's life is easier than Ethan Bear's life in the same minutes if we're scoring more goals.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I didn't watch Ceci last year, but Pen fans really liked his defensive IQ and raw skills; let's at least give him and Keith, who schooled us in the play-ins recently, a chance to show us what they have.

Sure i give them a chance, havent been hard on Keith when he signed! But he dont get any younger but is a fitness freak so he is coming in shape. Think he will have a good 1st half, then his shoulder will collapse under the weight.

Saw Ceci very much in Leafs and he reminded me of matt Benning, it was scary, think i wrote it in some gtd on the main. He need a better partner, cant hold another D!

I think its already a lost season, and thats only because our Goalies, the D addings dont make it any better, when also losing Larssons toughness in own zone and around the crease!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Sure i give them a chance, havent been hard on Keith when he signed! But he dont get any younger but is a fitness freak so he is coming in shape. Think he will have a good 1st half, then his shoulder will collapse under the weight.

Saw Ceci very much in Leafs and he reminded me of matt Benning, it was scary, think i wrote it in some gtd on the main. He need a better partner, cant hold another D!

I think its already a lost season, and thats only because our Goalies, the D addings dont make it any better, when also losing Larssons toughness in own zone and around the crease!
Save us the time then.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Yes could be a truth, but i saw alot of Leafs games that season and he was awful under pressure, gave up the puck several times a game.

He had the lowest turnovers per 60 of all leaf D men. Generally by quite a bit. While playing the most PP minutes and top QOC. That narrative is simply incorrect.He was under consistent pressure form the other teams top players yet turned it over far less than the other D men.

Less unforced errors then Larsson, you must joking, dont think you ever seen Ceci played since he paired with EK65 a decade ago!

EK was always paired with Methot. Ceci and EK are both RHD they never played together, and certainly not on the 67's ten years ago.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Dont know what you mean about defensive metrics, you can easily be saved by your pair mate and linemates.

Stas from his itme in toronto:

Every D man playing with him had a tougher QOC than without him. Every D man playing with him had a lower goals against per 60 than without him.

Therefore it is pretty obvious he was the one saving his teammates, not the other way around.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Stas from his itme in toronto:

Every D man playing with him had a tougher QOC than without him. Every D man playing with him had a lower goals against per 60 than without him.

Therefore it is pretty obvious he was the one saving his teammates, not the other way around.
It's easier to ignore the facts and make shit up and claim the season is lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->