Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Its not only him on the ice my friend...Even when he wins a bottle he doesnt get much help getting the puck clear from the lazy forwards we seem to have
Doesn’t win battles in the first place and quit trying to deflect the blame. Just accept that Ceci is bad.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Nope but how about not giving every bad situation to him...Because that is literally what happens
Well they thought he could handle top 4 minutes. He's just not cut out to be a top 4 defender despite getting those minutes. He would be ideal on the bottom pairing. He's been thrust into a role he's definitely not made for and now his agent will probably demand the salary he doesn't deserve.

I mean if it's a bad situation to put him in the top 4 then move him down the ladder?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People crap on Ceci a lot but he was not supposed to be a shutdown #2 d-man with though deployments. I think he would look much better on a much deeper D-core

It’s the same story as many players before : asked to play out of their comfort zone. I blame coaching and GM a lot more than the player. Boucher and his weird usages, and Dorion to not replace Methot one way or the other (Gonchar was not replaced before too)

)
okay fair.. but this isnt some guy.. this a d man we got a good look at for YEARS. management looked at this kid FOR YEARS. and other teams asked for this guy in return for legit stars at forward. and we said no. d men that arent very good with tough deployments and would look way better with a deeper d core aroudn them are not d men you keep at all costs.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well they thought he could handle top 4 minutes. He's just not cut out to be a top 4 defender despite getting those minutes. He would be ideal on the bottom pairing. He's been thrust into a role he's definitely not made for and now his agent will probably demand the salary he doesn't deserve.

I mean if it's a bad situation to put him in the top 4 then move him down the ladder?
Look,the big problem isnt Ceci as much as its been the depth.....Wideman,Boro,Wiercoch,Cowen,Claesson etc etc...Have all been heavly sheltered,because they just cant or didnt cut it...Ceci is way in over his head and has to be there because there just hasnt been another option,hopefully Chabot ,Wolanin and maybe Harpur can stabilise the left side,so we can focus on trying to improve the right

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Exactly. He is one of the worst in the league in corsi. New info came out that he’s the worst last year in winning puxk battles

The guy is sh*t

And he plays nearly the toughest minutes in the league, so his numbers in those areas will never be good.

If all people care about are advanced stats, thats easy to fix. Take his 68% deployment in the defensive zone (second highest in the league for RHD) and change that to Karlsson type numbers (70% in the offensive zone). Then stop playing him against everyones top players and give him the minutes against other teams weaker players. Take him off the PK and put him on the PP. Problem solved. The puck battles, the corsi, all fixed. Goals and assists will rise substantially.

See how easy that is to fix ;)

Reactions: topshelf15

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We haven't had a deep blue line for years. Every year, a young blueliner or two get destroyed because we have major holes in front of them. I believe we have destroyed a few careers, killing players confidence (you eed that to be able to play at that level)

Last year, we started the year without a #2 and #3 behind Karlsson, which is why asking Ceci (who should have been #4) to be #2 and Claesson (who should have been #5-6) to be #3 was a recipe for disaster.

Karlsson #1
Ceci #4
Phaneuf #4-5
Claesson #5-6
Borowiecki #6-7
Wideman #5-6
Harpur : rookie
Chabot : rookie

That's how we went in the season. We were hopeful that most of them could handle more than where they are at this stage of their career but really, it was a recipe for failure. At least before, we had a #3 in Methot, but once we lost him the holes were too big

The last time we had a deep blueline was 2012-13 with Karlsson, Gonchar, Methot, Phillips, Cowen, Wiercioch and Gryba (the last 3 were good/decent back then).

Id rather have boro over ceci. dont know why hes still on the team, just terrible player all around

You sure about that?

NHL Player Ratings, NHL Player Rankings

okay fair.. but this isnt some guy.. this a d man we got a good look at for YEARS. management looked at this kid FOR YEARS. and other teams asked for this guy in return for legit stars at forward. and we said no. d men that arent very good with tough deployments and would look way better with a deeper d core aroudn them are not d men you keep at all costs.

Well, depending on who was offered for Ceci, even if we add to add something, I would have said yes. The last 2 years were probably the best time to cash in and maximize value for Ceci. But the problem is the defense is already too thin as it is.

I wish it was handled differently : trade Ceci for the best young forward possible. Trade Hoffman for the best D-man possible...but Dorion didn't see that opoortunity

Yes we have known Ceci for years but just look at TOI vs ZS vs QoT vs QoC vs CF% in each of his years. He was used adequately when Murray was still there but they have been asking him way too much the last 2 years, putting him in the wrong chair, aka not a position to succeed. It's kind of evident.

But I agree on your premise, Ceci is not a player you keep at all costs. We only have 4 of them right now (Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Chabot and of course every decent prospect)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
And he plays nearly the toughest minutes in the league, so his numbers in those areas will never be good.

If all people care about are advanced stats, thats easy to fix. Take his 68% deployment in the defensive zone (second highest in the league for RHD) and change that to Karlsson type numbers (70% in the offensive zone). Then stop playing him against everyones top players and give him the minutes against other teams weaker players. Take him off the PK and put him on the PP. Problem solved. The puck battles, the corsi, all fixed. Goals and assists will rise substantially.

Yep add in one of the leagues worst group of possession forwards,and its easy to see where after EK everybody looks terrible....

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

again. cool. fine . fair.. this STILL doesnt sound like a guy who should be untouchable. theres more to this than "oh he can be passable here and there playing too much" theres the whole angle where management top to bottom think hes a superstar and have time and again refused to let him go for players much better than him.

i liked tom preissing (ceci may not even be as good as preissing was) but if management refused to trade him for star forward i would have started to hate him pretty fast.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Used to think Ceci was a Top 4 defenseman miscast as a Top 2. Now I think he’s a 3rd pairing guy miscast as a Top 2.

I realize he plays incredibly hard minutes, but he’s awful at it. Either reduce his responsibilities or get rid of him.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Used to think Ceci was a Top 4 defenseman miscast as a Top 2. Now I think he’s a 3rd pairing guy miscast as a Top 2.

I realize he plays incredibly hard minutes, but he’s awful at it. Either reduce his responsibilities or get rid of him.
pretty much the same here.... below is how I've described Ceci to a Habs/Blues fan

"Ceci last year was most likely the worse defensively for the Sens
he was having like 1-2 brain farts per period... it resulted in very costly mistakes that cost the Sens quite a few games
2 years ago he showed lots of potential but last year he was a complete opposite of that... Mike Green from the early 2010's in WAS looked like Chara defensively compared to him"

he was qualified at 2.8M but I seriously dont think that he's worth that much, even in today's NHL... hopefully he doesnt re-sign for more than that

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
again. cool. fine . fair.. this STILL doesnt sound like a guy who should be untouchable. theres more to this than "oh he can be passable here and there playing too much" theres the whole angle where management top to bottom think hes a superstar and have time and again refused to let him go for players much better than him.

i liked tom preissing (ceci may not even be as good as preissing was) but if management refused to trade him for star forward i would have started to hate him pretty fast.

I do not think anyone is saying Ceci is untouchable, far from it. But he is also far from the useless player many fans think he is, just based on the amount of interested teams in acquiring him.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I do not think anyone is saying Ceci is untouchable, far from it. But he is also far from the useless player many fans think he is, just based on the amount of interested teams in acquiring him.
im not saying youre saying hes untouchable. im saying the team has treated him as such/

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
im not saying youre saying hes untouchable. im saying the team has treated him as such/
I would prefer if the media asked Dorion if Ceci was going to be traded and Dorion sais.. even Gretzky got traded. I am not shopping Cody Ceci, but its my job to listen to offers.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would prefer if the media asked Dorion if Ceci was going to be traded and Dorion sais.. even Gretzky got traded. I am not shopping Cody Ceci, but its my job to listen to offers.
all hes said about ceci is " everyone might disagree but i hope to keep him here a long time". its like dorion and melnyk are cvonstantly trolling us

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

SensFan613

Jun 16, 2006
Ottawa
Is the contract Jack Johnson just signed a comparable for Ceci? His numbers are fairly similar although Ceci plays more minutes with tougher matchups. Also Johnson was sometimes a healthy scratch last season and during the playoffs.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the big problem with Ceci is that they have no one else in the org who can take that spot away from him unless they bring one in from the outside. I think Jaros could challenge Wideman right now for that 3rd RD spot but could be a yr away or so from challenging Ceci if he does well in the 3rd RD spot. While Wideman is a good PMD he gets pushed around too much on D against bigger forwards. Ceci being bigger is slightly better defensively.

I think they have some potential good young defencemen coming but they are either too inexperienced at this point or not yet good enough. Add to that the fact that their are very few right shot defencemen in this org & only Jaros who can challenge for a roster spot on the right side. Not to mention the possibility of losing their #1 RD EK.

They could move a left shot D over but that has it's own problems but it's quite possible, Harpur has played the right side effectively as has Boro. We'll see but I don't expect Ceci to be replaced this season unless he is traded which again I doubt happens but we'll see. They do have a number of good left shot defencemen who it could be argued are close to NHL ready in Wolanin, Harpur, Sieloff, Englund & Lajoie, who I like a lot.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Seriously f***ed up. Wonder if legal action will be forthcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad