Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Parties can only offer specific types of evidence

The NHL/NHLPA CBA is very specific about what types of evidence can be submitted, to the detriment of certain types of players. Permissible evidence includes:
  • The number of games played and a player's injury history
  • "Overall performance" (including NHL "official statistics")
  • Length of service of the player to the club or in the NHL
  • "The overall contribution of the Player to the competitive success or failure of his club in the preceding season"
  • "Any special qualities of leadership or public appeal"
  • The overall performance of alleged comparable players
  • The compensation of any comparable players that have been formally introduced as a comparable
Here's a sampling of what sort of evidence is inadmissible:
  • A contract entered into when "the Player" was not a "group 2" restricted free agent
  • Any contract signed by an unrestricted free agent (so only group 2 restricted free agents can serve as comparable players)
  • A contract signed by a player that is not being offered as a comparable player
  • Qualifying offers
  • Prior negotiating history between the club and the player
  • "Testimonials, videotapes, newspaper columns, press game reports
    or similar materials"
  • Any reference to walk-away rights
  • Any arbitration award that a club walked away from
  • "The financial condition of the club or the league"
  • References to the club's salary cap situation, or the players' share (of hockey related revenue)
  • Any arbitration award issued in 2005-06, or any reference to a salary arbitration opinion that took place prior to the beginning of the salary cap era
Particularly notable is that the "statistics" that players and teams can use are generally the prehistoric numbers - those "official statistics" that are "kept and maintained by the league." It's generally thought that this doesn't really include the sorts of metrics - zone starts, shot attempt differential (Corsi), quality of competition - that are increasingly common in evaluating players.
Real time statistics like "hits" and "turnovers," which are both extremely subjective and notoriously unreliable, are admissible.

Source: 3 things you need to know about NHL salary arbitration
Any statistic provided on NHL.com may be used as evidence

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I’m not saying that it’s all his fault, the team and goaltending was a train wreck, but IIRC he had the highest GA/min of virtually all defencemen last season.

I’m on my phone in Prague at the moment or I would check.
From NHLcom
He was 201/234 (not rookie) D in SAT Rel% meaning he's on for more against than for .. 85% of D had better numbers here ,,, his buddy Dion had worse numbers he ranked 216/234. Matching up against top lines and being over matched, and having high Dzone start %s can contribute... Also having Dion as a partner imo really doesn't help.

Justin Braun of the Sharks is 230/234... Ceci's stats look decent compared to his.

NHL.com does not have the best assortment of advanced stats

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nah, new ownership will be in by then and your ass fired. It will get worked out when Bobby Ryan's dead weight contract is also dealt with.

From what I've been reading on the main boards, he wants to go to a US team. His finance is studying medicine in a US school and (for whatever reason) can't transfer to a Canadian university, and his father has some sort of immigration issues to Canada.

Trading for Trouba is like taking a poison pill. We'd either be forced to trade him for low rental price, or lose him for nothing as a ufa.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
If we trade Ceci, something around Connor Murphy might work.

Ceci + Dzingel
for
Murphy + I. Mitchell/C. Krys + J. Hayden + 2nd

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Nah, new ownership will be in by then and your ass fired. It will get worked out when Bobby Ryan's dead weight contract is also dealt with.
Think the only way we deal with it,is to tell Bobby the cold hard truth...Play better,or you get to stay here and be the whipping boy longer

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Think the only way we deal with it,is to tell Bobby the cold hard truth...Play better,or you get to stay here and be the whipping boy longer

I don't think he is the brightest bulb. I heard TSN crew commentating on his reluctance to change to more protective gloves cuz they don't feel right. Yet he keeps re-injuring his finger with the usual mitts he wears.

If he stays healthy, I think he can still be of value elsewhere in 2019 when EK, Stone, and Duchene's extensions kick in. His buyout price would be lower, as will be any cap retention in a trade scenario.

Reactions: topshelf15

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think he is the brightest bulb. I heard TSN crew commentating on his reluctance to change to more protective gloves cuz they don't feel right. Yet he keeps re-injuring his finger with the usual mitts he wears.

We all remember the effect Kelly's skates had on Alfie.

I wouldn't consider Ryan's reluctance about using equipment he is not comfortable with as stupidity. The flip side is he doesn't get broken fingers but scores a lot less due to being incomfortable. Not much better.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
We all remember the effect Kelly's skates had on Alfie.

I wouldn't consider Ryan's reluctance about using equipment he is not comfortable with as stupidity. The flip side is he doesn't get broken fingers but scores a lot less due to being incomfortable. Not much better.
I consider it to be exceedingly stupid.

Anyone who has ever played any sport ever has had to use something new or different at one time It feels strange for a bit and then you get used to it.

I mean, he's already a colossal disappointment as a player. It's better to play more games and get used to a new pair of gloves than to use the same flimsy ones and keep breaking fingers.

I'm pretty sure that broken finger Bobby, who can't shoot but has comfy gloves is worse than slightly less comfy gloved Bobby with working hands.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You could probably close your eyes and still figure out that his deployment needs to be changed.
Yeah you listen to how many times the announcer says cecis name followed by the announcer talking about Ottawa spending time in its own zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->