Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
He doesn’t have the brain to be making decisions with the puck with opponents flying at him at high speeds. I mean he was an awkward puck mover in JUNIOR. In the NHL it’s just called being a sloppy player.

My view is that Cody is a capable 4D when paired with a faster, defensive 3D with a good stick. He's not going to live up to his draft hype but a fairly solid NHL player in his own right.

If we could, sign a veteran UFA to a two year deal and sign Ceci to a 2 year deal. Hopefully bolstering his stock, then trade Ceci this deadline and the vet next.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just get Ceci a decent partner, who can compliment his skill set & help him out defensively. He's a right shot who does everything well although not great & he's a horse who can play big minutes. He does make some bone head decisions at times but he is also better than most of the other defencemen this team has to play on that 2nd pairing right side.

I think if they play him with Boro he could be more effective offensively & Boro can take care of their own end. If they play him with Chabot than it will be up to Ceci to protect their end while Chabot freelances in neutral ice & in the offensive zone. Harpur in his first yr along side of Wideman should make for a better 3rd pairing. With Dion gone I think this defensive group should be at the least much faster than last yr. Ottawa needs a couple of their young defensmen to step up soon & be difference makers.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Just get Ceci a decent partner, who can compliment his skill set & help him out defensively. He's a right shot who does everything well although not great & he's a horse who can play big minutes. He does make some bone head decisions at times but he is also better than most of the other defencemen this team has to play on that 2nd pairing right side.

I think if they play him with Boro he could be more effective offensively & Boro can take care of their own end. If they play him with Chabot than it will be up to Ceci to protect their end while Chabot freelances in neutral ice & in the offensive zone. Harpur in his first yr along side of Wideman should make for a better 3rd pairing. With Dion gone I think this defensive group should be at the least much faster than last yr. Ottawa needs a couple of their young defensmen to step up soon & be difference makers.
Playing him with Boro would be an absolute disaster.

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

But think of the local flavour!

I was hoping Ceci could turn into the next Chris Phillips. Or even a poor man’s Phillips. Doesn’t have to be a shutdown guy, just solid in his own end. Provide a little offence. Can log lots of quality minutes. I’d be ok with that.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Actually they played together in Bingo for a good part of a yr & played well together which is why Ceci was called up so quickly after his first yr in the AHL. I think they are both experienced enough now to handle it.

The problem is the guys behind them are all too young & inexperienced to push them out just yet. The hope is that we have a couple of good young D step up as Hoffman & Stone did for the forwards. Wolanin, Lajoie & Jaros probably have the best shot at it but whether they can or GB let's them remains to be seen. I predict another yr of constant bashing of the defence.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Don't think Ceci and Boro would fit together as a pairing. If you want Ceci to be a more offensive player you don't slot him in with a guy who loves to leave his position to make a hit down at the offensive end. That's asking for trouble. Ceci isn't a good stay at home defenceman so thats not a good option either.

I honestly think a change of scenery is whats best for him. The Ceci supporters will look at this post and think that myself and othes have a vendetta against the guy but its quite the opposite. I don't think any Sens fans purposely hate on a guy. There are thing that make you dislike them as a player and there are times where the best thing to do is cut ties with said player for the better of your team.

To this day and I don't think ever will I see eye to eye with what management sees in Ceci.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Stick or not, it doesn’t matter, that kind of play happens so many times in a hockey game answer probably at least once for every player, it’s a nothing play. What I find funny is people actually taking the time to make a gif of it and trying to ridicule a player... lmao, like we’ve seen in the Anderson’s « like », some people are just not very smart...

Actually they played together in Bingo for a good part of a yr & played well together which is why Ceci was called up so quickly after his first yr in the AHL. I think they are both experienced enough now to handle it.

The problem is the guys behind them are all too young & inexperienced to push them out just yet. The hope is that we have a couple of good young D step up as Hoffman & Stone did for the forwards. Wolanin, Lajoie & Jaros probably have the best shot at it but whether they can or GB let's them remains to be seen. I predict another yr of constant bashing of the defence.

Actually, the problem is that Ceci didn’t have more than 1 or 2 guys better than him on the team for a few years, forced to have much higher TOI and responsabilities, matchups, zone starts, etc that goes with it.

Cody Ceci Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

It’s so easy to understand. TOI went up, OZS went down, DZS went up, responsabilities went up, QoC went up, so in the end CF% went down

Just compare his first 2 years vs his 3rd vs his last 2 years

Put Ceci on a team that has 3 D-men clearly better than him, give him 19-20 mins a game with a fair split of zone starts and he will be perfectly fine.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Stick or not, it doesn’t matter, that kind of play happens so many times in a hockey game answer probably at least once for every player, it’s a nothing play. What I find funny is people actually taking the time to make a gif of it and trying to ridicule a player... lmao, like we’ve seen in the Anderson’s « like », some people are just not very smart...

Actually, the problem is not that; it’s that Ceci didn’t have more than 1 or 2 guys better than him on the team for a few years, forced to have much higher TOI and responsabilities, matchups, zone starts, etc that goes with it.

Cody Ceci Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

It’s so easy to understand. TOI went up, OZS went down, DZS went up, responsabilities went up, QoC went up, so in the end CF% went down

Just compare his first 2 years vs his 3rd vs his last 2 years

Put Ceci on a team that has 3 D-men clearly better than him, give him 19-20 mins a game with a fair split of zone starts and he will be perfectly fine.
Yep ,playing in those situations all the time can make anyone look bad...Take Reilly before last season when he was deployed with hard mins ,and the teams worst forwards...Not saying Ceci is an all world defender,but spread the shitty ice around a little more and it should surprise anyone if his numbers and play are better

Reactions: aragorn and Xspyrit

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
i love how it went from "ceci will be a great player" to " get ceci to do way less and strip away all responsibility and you will see he will be passable"

Reactions: Alex1234

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Yep ,playing in those situations all the time can make anyone look bad...Take Reilly before last season when he was deployed with hard mins ,and the teams worst forwards...Not saying Ceci is an all world defender,but spread the ****ty ice around a little more and it should surprise anyone if his numbers and play are better
Ceci's ceiling is a BORDERLINE top 4 defender given the absolute best conditions for him to succeed? ;)

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Besides the postal code he grew up in, and where he played Junior, what potential does management see in him? On these boards I only see "He sucks by every metric we have". There has to be something there outside of "eats lots of minutes".

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Besides the postal code he grew up in, and where he played Junior, what potential does management see in him? On these boards I only see "He sucks by every metric we have". There has to be something there outside of "eats lots of minutes".

He was good in that one season when he played with Patrick Wiercioch and they somehow miraculously cancelled out the faults in each other's games that made them terrible.

And then they both turned into pumpkins.

And then again, that might have just been a really good year for Wiercioch. If I remember correctly, he significantly boosted all of his partners that year statistically, while Ceci dragged all other partners down. In any event, neither of them has been any good since that season.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
People crap on Ceci a lot but he was not supposed to be a shutdown #2 d-man with though deployments. I think he would look much better on a much deeper D-core

It’s the same story as many players before : asked to play out of their comfort zone. I blame coaching and GM a lot more than the player. Boucher and his weird usages, and Dorion to not replace Methot one way or the other (Gonchar was not replaced before too)

Yep ,playing in those situations all the time can make anyone look bad...Take Reilly before last season when he was deployed with hard mins ,and the teams worst forwards...Not saying Ceci is an all world defender,but spread the ****ty ice around a little more and it should surprise anyone if his numbers and play are better

There’s a few things that need to happen for the Sens to have a decent/good defense :

1) Karlsson back to being the best defenseman in the world, and not just offensively but he has to be elite defensively as well like 2016-17

2) they absolutely need to find a solid LHD capable of handling tough minutes and that will help shelter the rest of the defense. A player still in his prime preferably, like a prime Methot for example

3) Chabot’s game growing, he has to start to reach more of his potential. It’s only his 2nd season so we can’t expect him to be an all star d-man right away but if he can be a solid 3, then it helps a great deal

4) Ceci : lower his minutes to around 20 minutes per game, give him way less shutdown responsabilities and balance his zone starts adequately. Allow him to be a 2nd pairing 2-way D-man and not a shutdown #2 facing the best players in the world. Play him with a more mobile partner than what we had recently (Phaneuf, Phillips, Borowiecki...)

If those 4 elements are in place then you need to proper assess playing time and responsabilities of Chris Wideman (deploy him in offensive situations as much as possible), Borowiecki (be cautious to not expose him), Wolanin (let him gain NHL experience and bring him in adequately) and Harpur (shelter him on the 3rd pair so his game can grow)

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
People crap on Ceci a lot but he was not supposed to be a shutdown #2 d-man with though deployments. I think he would look much better on a much deeper D-core

It’s the same story as many players before : asked to play out of their comfort zone. I blame coaching and GM a lot more than the player. Boucher and his weird usages, and Dorion to not replace Methot one way or the other (Gonchar was not replaced before too))
I completely agree with this. Let Ceci play top PK minutes, sure. But he should not be our main shutdown dman 5 on 5. He needs to be used as a true 2nd pairing dman without around 20-21 minutes. Would problem even see his offensive numbers increase.

But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Reactions: Xspyrit

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Nope but how about not giving every bad situation to him...Because that is literally what happens

No matter who he's up against he seems to always lose the battle. Cant deal with pressure in the D zone either, just holds onto the puck against the boards till it bounces to the opposing team.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No matter who he's up against he seems to always lose the battle. Cant deal with pressure in the D zone either, just holds onto the puck against the boards till it bounces to the opposing team.
Its not only him on the ice my friend...Even when he wins a bottle he doesnt get much help getting the puck clear from the lazy forwards we seem to have

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Id rather have boro over ceci. dont know why hes still on the team, just terrible player all around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad