Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I actually heard about this from their backyard neighbor the day after it happened. Very scary, didn't even sound real as they described what happened to me.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I actually heard about this from their backyard neighbor the day after it happened. Very scary, didn't even sound real as they described what happened to me.
We really need some good news ...Are they close on anything like Duchene or Stone???

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
With Trouba getting 5.5, Ceci will probably be close to the same, maybe 5M. Sens have to take that and decide to keep him or trade him or he's a UFA. Is 5M too rich for a Ceci?

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Lmao, Ceci is half the defender trouba is. Give him 4 mil max. I wouldnt personally pay him a cent over 3.5

I concur, but the arbitration was high for Trouba. If its high there, Ceci will get 4.5 - 5. Not worth it I agree. Point was more about what happens when he gets it? Do we keep him or flip him. My guess is flip him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
With Trouba getting 5.5, Ceci will probably be close to the same, maybe 5M. Sens have to take that and decide to keep him or trade him or he's a UFA. Is 5M too rich for a Ceci?

Not sure what his ask will be .. I would guess its in the 5-6 range somewhere.
If the Sens offer him the same salary $3,350,000 as last year , my guess is it will probably end up in the 4-4.5 range if an arbitrator gets involved.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If he's not traded, I would not be surprised to see a slightly high settlement because that way, the Senators get the option to structure the contract. They could do 3.5 in year one, 5.5 in year 2, 4.5M AAV. It allows them to kick the can down the road and possibly trade Ceci before his bigger salary season kicks in.

Reactions: BigRig4

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If he's not traded, I would not be surprised to see a slightly high settlement because that way, the Senators get the option to structure the contract. They could do 3.5 in year one, 5.5 in year 2, 4.5M AAV. It allows them to kick the can down the road and possibly trade Ceci before his bigger salary season kicks in.
Sounds like a high five moment

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I'm thinking 4.2 if you compare to Trouba.

Trouba offensive numbers have been somewhat better than Cecis, although he gets much more PP time. Ceci plays more and noticeably harder minutes making him more important to his team. Trouba is definitely more physical, but he was also missed significant time with injuries 4 of his 5 seasons.

Trouba is a better player, but Ceci gets cast in a more important role.

But stats usually plays a major factor in arbitration. Does defensive zone starts and QOC mean the same as goals and assists? Thats up to the arbitrator and is a big question when they do these. And usualyl goals and assists win out.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm thinking 4.2 if you compare to Trouba.

Trouba offensive numbers have been somewhat better than Cecis, although he gets much more PP time. Ceci plays more and noticeably harder minutes making him more important to his team. Trouba is definitely more physical, but he was also missed significant time with injuries 4 of his 5 seasons.

Trouba is a better player, but Ceci gets cast in a more important role.

But stats usually plays a major factor in arbitration. Does defensive zone starts and QOC mean the same as goals and assists? Thats up to the arbitrator and is a big question when they do these. And usualyl goals and assists win out.
Thats about as high as it should really get,Ceci really doesnt have the game to get more than this

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
At 3.5 to a max of 4.2 per is around where he should be....He is a 4 and at that rate he isnt cripppling and could be moved if nessesary

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Players who played more per-game than Ceci last year with contract in parenthesis:

Doughty (7mil - 11mil)
Suter (7.538m)
Karlsson (6.5m - UFA)
Ristolainen (5.4m)
Hedman (7.875m)
Pietrangelo (6.5m)
Johnson (6m)
Weber (7.857m)
Letang (7.25m)
Burns (8m)
Fowler (6.5m)
Giordano (6.75m)
Carlson (8.0m)
Jones (5.4m)
Spurgeon (5.187m)
Yandle (6.35m)
Josi (4.0m)
Byfuglien (7.6m)
Edler (5.0m - UFA)
Provorov (ELC - RFA)
Subban (9.0m)
Klingberg (4.25m)
Keith (5.538m)
Dumba (6.0m)
Ekman-Larsson (5.5m - 8.25m)
Brodie (4.625m)
Ekholm (3.75m)
Petry (5.5m)
Ekblad (7.5m)
Ellis (2.5m - UFA)
Ceci

I think they will settle around 3.5-4mil on a one year deal or 4-4.5m on a multi-year deal.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wasn’t Ceci one of the worst if not the worst advanced stats defencemen in the league last season?

I think you have to take advantage of that opportunity.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Wasn’t Ceci one of the worst if not the worst advanced stats defencemen in the league last season?

I mean his bad advanced stats are partly caused by:

1. Ceci being asked to do way more than he should.

2. Bouchers turtling system.

3. Ceci being inept offensively.

I dont think in Arb they look at advanced stats too much but I may be wrong.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Parties can only offer specific types of evidence

The NHL/NHLPA CBA is very specific about what types of evidence can be submitted, to the detriment of certain types of players. Permissible evidence includes:
  • The number of games played and a player's injury history
  • "Overall performance" (including NHL "official statistics")
  • Length of service of the player to the club or in the NHL
  • "The overall contribution of the Player to the competitive success or failure of his club in the preceding season"
  • "Any special qualities of leadership or public appeal"
  • The overall performance of alleged comparable players
  • The compensation of any comparable players that have been formally introduced as a comparable
Here's a sampling of what sort of evidence is inadmissible:
  • A contract entered into when "the Player" was not a "group 2" restricted free agent
  • Any contract signed by an unrestricted free agent (so only group 2 restricted free agents can serve as comparable players)
  • A contract signed by a player that is not being offered as a comparable player
  • Qualifying offers
  • Prior negotiating history between the club and the player
  • "Testimonials, videotapes, newspaper columns, press game reports
    or similar materials"
  • Any reference to walk-away rights
  • Any arbitration award that a club walked away from
  • "The financial condition of the club or the league"
  • References to the club's salary cap situation, or the players' share (of hockey related revenue)
  • Any arbitration award issued in 2005-06, or any reference to a salary arbitration opinion that took place prior to the beginning of the salary cap era
Particularly notable is that the "statistics" that players and teams can use are generally the prehistoric numbers - those "official statistics" that are "kept and maintained by the league." It's generally thought that this doesn't really include the sorts of metrics - zone starts, shot attempt differential (Corsi), quality of competition - that are increasingly common in evaluating players.
Real time statistics like "hits" and "turnovers," which are both extremely subjective and notoriously unreliable, are admissible.

Source: 3 things you need to know about NHL salary arbitration

Reactions: NyQuil

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

And that is likely why the Sens don't want it to get to arbitration.

We saw how Subban reacted to his hearing, teams get ruthless (as they should) in those situations and the relationship with the player can be irreperably damaged.

Ceci is only 24 and actually has a lot of playoff experience. If we trade him and don't get a top 4 d back then we are making the team worse. At that point the question is: who will give us a top 4 d for a top 4 d? Who makes that kind of trade?

Not people we want to trade with.

He isn't even that bad. People make it sound like he's Weircioch bad which is preposterous.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And that is likely why the Sens don't want it to get to arbitration.

We saw how Subban reacted to his hearing, teams get ruthless (as they should) in those situations and the relationship with the player can be irreperably damaged.

Ceci is only 24 and actually has a lot of playoff experience. If we trade him and don't get a top 4 d back then we are making the team worse.

He isn't even that bad. People make it sound like he's Weircioch bad which is preposterous.

I think we need a little tough love - Yzerman style.

Ceci leaving is not going to cripple the team - if you have a chance to save some real dollars on a second pairing guy you take it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think we need a little tough love - Yzerman style.

Ceci leaving is not going to cripple the team - if you have a chance to save some real dollars on a second pairing guy you take it.

I think it very well might. If we trade Ceci the only proven top 4 d we have is... Karlsson. And he might not be staying either!

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I’m not saying that it’s all his fault, the team and goaltending was a train wreck, but IIRC he had the highest GA/min of virtually all defencemen last season.

I’m on my phone in Prague at the moment or I would check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad