Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
His need to have a veteran C on the 4th line is almost approaching superstition level. It's clear that he doesn't even trust Thompson to play meaningful minutes... that line was getting more icetime when Harkins was playing on it.

Atleast when Hendricks was playing in that role he looked infinitely better than how Thompson has, granted he is just coming off of an injury.

Reactions: sipowicz

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
His need to have a veteran C on the 4th line is almost approaching superstition level. It's clear that he doesn't even trust Thompson to play meaningful minutes... that line was getting more icetime when Harkins was playing on it.

Atleast when Hendricks was playing in that role he looked infinitely better than how Thompson has, granted he is just coming off of an injury.
I mean its pretty clear that Mo specifically asks Chevy for these guys - there's literally no reason for Thompson to be in the lineup other than 'gut feels'

Whileee

May 29, 2010

As far as I can tell, Thompson has taken 1 PK face-off in this two games back.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
As far as I can tell, Thompson has taken 1 PK face-off in this two games back.
Its just maddening that Appleton will be demoted from PK2 after really performing above and beyond anything asked... we will sit through six games of the Thompson and Lewis experiment - same as we sat thru the Beau 1D experiment...

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
My only current gripes with our dressed roster are:

Beaulieu for Stanley and Thompson for Harkins

I think that having one of Lewis or Thompson in is a good thing, but both is redundant. Since Lewis is the better of the two, I'd have Thompson in the PB as a Lewis replacement.

Stanley has shown enough progression that he should be allowed to play and improve as a daily player, with Beaulieu a HS in case of injury.

Other than that, I think we are in a good spot. I'd love to get Vesalainen in there but I fear he will have to wait for injuries. The 'good thing' is, this team never seems to stay healthy.

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE
I have listens to his babbling. He charismatic and it hides his inability to coach to people like you.

you listen to him and go “he sounds so smart” when normal people listen to him and go “he’s not answering the question, he’s dancing around it”

You can love him all you want, I don’t give 2 craps if he knows more than me.... Me and PoMo have one thing in common, neither of us has won a Stanley cup as a coach in the NHL..... drops mic....

(since I can't like)

tenor.gif

Reactions: AlaskaJet

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I think that having one of Lewis or Thompson in is a good thing, but both is redundant. Since Lewis is the better of the two, I'd have Thompson in the PB as a Lewis replacement.

Stanley has shown enough progression that he should be allowed to play and improve as a daily player, with Beaulieu a HS in case of injury.

Other than that, I think we are in a good spot. I'd love to get Vesalainen in there but I fear he will have to wait for injuries. The 'good thing' is, this team never seems to stay healthy.

Last night with Forbort in the box, Beaulieu was damn good on that PK, he even schooled Pettersson. That's a spot he's holding on to, while the rest of his game isn't all that good. Though he wasn't terrible last night.

I think as a coach you also have to try to keep your players playing, you don't want to ice anyone for a long time, so playing Thompson gets him back into playing shape. There's guys he has iced though, Petan and Niku come to mind, but I think that's more of a stylistic disapproval for players on his roster. How long will the vet 4th line continue? Hard to say, but he only got 5 minutes of ice time. Montreal plays 4 line hockey so I think we might try to match them better. I'd say Harkins would be the better skater to matchup at home against Jake Evans, who has some wheels himself.

Maurice will never get credit as being a good coach, for reasons that are somewhat inexplicable. I mean did John Cooper give a bunch of rookies a shot last year? I don't remember seeing Cal Foote, or Volkov or Joseph. Their youngest player was Cernak or Cirelli. Our youngest player is Dubois, who is younger.

I think Dave Lowry is helping Maurice this year. I've seen him make decisions that I rarely did. On the 3-2 goal, he started PP2, and finished with them, getting a goal. Starting the OT with 3 forwards sure paid dividends. I'm not sure if some fans would be happier with Travis Green, or Geoff Ward, or DJ Smith right now. Randy Carlyle is still unemployed. If you want a coach to complain about.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I have listens to his babbling. He charismatic and it hides his inability to coach to people like you.

you listen to him and go “he sounds so smart” when normal people listen to him and go “he’s not answering the question, he’s dancing around it”

You can love him all you want, I don’t give 2 craps if he knows more than me.... Me and PoMo have one thing in common, neither of us has won a Stanley cup as a coach in the NHL..... drops mic....
:naughty:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Last night with Forbort in the box, Beaulieu was damn good on that PK, he even schooled Pettersson. That's a spot he's holding on to, while the rest of his game isn't all that good. Though he wasn't terrible last night.

I think as a coach you also have to try to keep your players playing, you don't want to ice anyone for a long time, so playing Thompson gets him back into playing shape. There's guys he has iced though, Petan and Niku come to mind, but I think that's more of a stylistic disapproval for players on his roster. How long will the vet 4th line continue? Hard to say, but he only got 5 minutes of ice time. Montreal plays 4 line hockey so I think we might try to match them better. I'd say Harkins would be the better skater to matchup at home against Jake Evans, who has some wheels himself.

Maurice will never get credit as being a good coach, for reasons that are somewhat inexplicable. I mean did John Cooper give a bunch of rookies a shot last year? I don't remember seeing Cal Foote, or Volkov or Joseph. Their youngest player was Cernak or Cirelli. Our youngest player is Dubois, who is younger.

I think Dave Lowry is helping Maurice this year. I've seen him make decisions that I rarely did. On the 3-2 goal, he started PP2, and finished with them, getting a goal. Starting the OT with 3 forwards sure paid dividends. I'm not sure if some fans would be happier with Travis Green, or Geoff Ward, or DJ Smith right now. Randy Carlyle is still unemployed. If you want a coach to complain about.
I get that, but I'd rather have Beau sitting and subbing in occasionally, and maybe the same with Thompson coming in for Lewis every once in a while.

I have noticed some good coaching changes since Lowry came on board, specifically with situational usage, using PP2 more, etc.

I'm pretty sure Stanley PK'ed with the Moose, so I don't think it would be too hard to get him up to speed with the Jets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I think Samberg is better than Stanley, Beaulieu or Poolman right now. I'd love to see him filling a RD role right now.

Reactions: GNP

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think Samberg is better than Stanley, Beaulieu or Poolman right now. I'd love to see him filling a RD role right now.
I know a lot of people feel this way but I don't think there is any way this will happen. Plus, he's played very little pro hockey and no NHL regular season hockey so we have no idea how he will do, or how long it will take for him to get up to NHL speed.

Right now, the timing just isn't right for team or player. Next year is a much better option, he can get into TC from the start, get some exhibition games in and then go from there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I know a lot of people feel this way but I don't think there is any way this will happen. Plus, he's played very little pro hockey and no NHL regular season hockey so we have no idea how he will do, or how long it will take for him to get up to NHL speed.

Right now, the timing just isn't right for team or player. Next year is a much better option, he can get into TC from the start, get some exhibition games in and then go from there.
I disagree. There are many examples of D that have stepped right into the NHL from the NCAA and excelled almost immediately, and Samberg has more high level NCAA experience than most of them. Watching his first 4 games at the AHL level, he already looks better NHL ready.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I get that, but I'd rather have Beau sitting and subbing in occasionally, and maybe the same with Thompson coming in for Lewis every once in a while.

I have noticed some good coaching changes since Lowry came on board, specifically with situational usage, using PP2 more, etc.

I'm pretty sure Stanley PK'ed with the Moose, so I don't think it would be too hard to get him up to speed with the Jets.

I like the idea, and maybe with Poolman down, we can see him getting a rep or two with Boo Boo, keeping Pionk and Morrissey more fresh. If Beaulieu keeps putting up a zero on the PK, he'll stay in the lineup though I suspect. His PK numbers are starting to get near the elite of the NHL. It's a job you want your gronks doing more than your skilled guys, because we can afford to lose a Beaulieu. Losing Pionk and Morrissey would really hurt, though never have we had a player like Heinola in the wings.

As someone who has played hockey at a much higher level than me, I'd like your thoughts on what makes a good PKer.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I disagree. There are many examples of D that have stepped right into the NHL from the NCAA and excelled almost immediately, and Samberg has more high level NCAA experience than most of them. Watching his first 4 games at the AHL level, he already looks better NHL ready.

Give him a few games in the A - it will only do him good and we are OK to wait a bit.
I have not idea what the plan is for Samberg but I'd think they will be paying attention to his game and making the call based on what they see.
This is a great opportunity for him to make his case and work his way in - everyone knows he's better than some of these guys - that's not what's holding him back

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I feel if there was a real need (read injuries) I wouldn't be averse to having Samberg up. However, I think there is a logical 'pecking order' when it comes to promoting players. It considers many things including contractual considerations, development cycle, player sentiment, and more.

Of course real elite prospects jump the order and you can make a logical argument for why. Even though Samberg is looking to become a real find for the Jets, I don't think he has the draft pedigree or overwhelmingly high play level that justifies that.

I'm not saying he's not doing really well right now, or he couldn't play in the NHL, I'm just saying it's often missed around here that player decisions have a lot more to do with pushing good prospects into the lineup immediately.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I feel if there was a real need (read injuries) I wouldn't be averse to having Samberg up. However, I think there is a logical 'pecking order' when it comes to promoting players. It considers many things including contractual considerations, development cycle, player sentiment, and more.

Of course real elite prospects jump the order and you can make a logical argument for why. Even though Samberg is looking to become a real find for the Jets, I don't think he has the draft pedigree or overwhelmingly high play level that justifies that.

I'm not saying he's not doing really well right now, or he couldn't play in the NHL, I'm just saying it's often missed around here that player decisions have a lot more to do with pushing good prospects into the lineup immediately.
I am somewhat sympathetic to the pecking order argument, and I think that's clearly the rationale for having Beaulieu in the line-up over the young prospects like Samberg, Heinola and Stanley. I'm sure that there is a socialization component within the team that the coaching staff wants to consider. Decisions about line-ups are seldom purely about talent / performance. Having said that, I think that Samberg could join the Jets' line-up right now and improve the team. I expect that it will take a couple of injuries for that to happen, though.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Maurice definitely has a type for the 4th line vets and it’s not energetic. It’s always a plodding guy who is a student of the game, “good in the room” and 4 steps behind the play once the puck drops.

I think I’d have more stomach for the energy type guys who suck but actually do something.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Maurice is doing what’s tried and true....
Oh wait.
I don’t like piling on but it’s not like his resume is spectacular.
The Shane Doan of coaching

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Maurice definitely has a type for the 4th line vets and it’s not energetic. It’s always a plodding guy who is a student of the game, “good in the room” and 4 steps behind the play once the puck drops.

I think I’d have more stomach for the energy type guys who suck but actually do something.
As much as that has been true in the past, Thompson and Lewis are not bad skaters and are not 4 steps behind the play. They are much better than a lot of the 4th line vets that Maurice has favourd such as Hendricks.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Great post, agree with all of it. And if it's the Dave Lowry Experience that's responsible for these positive changes then hopefully we see more of the same going forward.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
As much as that has been true in the past, Thompson and Lewis are not bad skaters and are not 4 steps behind the play. They are much better than a lot of the 4th line vets that Maurice has favourd such as Hendricks.

Lewis, maybe. Thompson is well behind the play in both directions, in terms of speed of movement and speed of processing the game. He's actively a hindrance on the ice, IMO. Sure, he plays 5 mins, but a lot can happen on the ice in that 5 mins, and if he's not contributing positively, why is he there?

If you're a team looking to contend you optimize all your moving parts. You don't play a plug because he can't do much to screw things up b/c he's hardly playing -- you drop in a better player that adds to the sum of your parts and play him more, and ideally the whole team is firing and harder to play against, and that ripples up and down the lineup. Otherwise you're knowingly playing less well than you can and you're going to get exposed. The logic of "Yeah, he sucks, but he only plays X mins" just seems weird to me.

But I get that there are team-social reasons to vet it up. Just feel like this year's Jets already have quite a high vet score, given Stats, Wheeler, Copp, Scheif, JMo, Lowry, Beaulieu, Lewis, DD, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They are step ahead of Hendricks and Bourque, at least in skating. I've been okay with Lewis, but Thompson has been pretty rough.

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad