Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
How much of a difference would he have made LY - is it worth bringing in a physically undeveloped kid - as if was going to save the day on D.

He'll get his chances and he'll be better sheltered with the core we now have - IMO, this is the best way to develop young potential stars but it does require patience.

I like how the Jets develop their young talent. Looking back the only guy that left here and had more success elsewhere was Roslo but that is also because he got a totally different opportunity that he still wouldn't have received in Winnipeg last season IMO. The one issue I have off the top of my head was sitting Ville in the press box last season for way too long? Leave him in the AHL all season and give him maximum minutes. He's 19 and you don't sit 19 year old's.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I like how the Jets develop their young talent. Looking back the only guy that left here and had more success elsewhere was Roslo but that is also because he got a totally different opportunity that he still wouldn't have received in Winnipeg last season IMO. The one issue I have off the top of my head was sitting Ville in the press box last season for way too long? Leave him in the AHL all season and give him maximum minutes. He's 19 and you don't sit 19 year old's.

I agree - I would have left Ville on the Moose.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Harkins showed well a couple years ago and then barely got a look this year... Ves seems to be a tweener now...

Hopefully those guys and Gus are in the lineup this year - seems overdue to be honest

Reactions: Mbraunm

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Harkins showed well a couple years ago and then barely got a look this year... Ves seems to be a tweener now...

Hopefully those guys and Gus are in the lineup this year - seems overdue to be honest

I think Harkins will have a solid year this year, IMO. He didn’t stay healthy enough during camp and without much of a preseason and the team winning, he was always on the outside looking in.

I think he’d be a great person to play with Lowry

Reactions: 10Ducky10

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think Harkins will have a solid year this year, IMO. He didn’t stay healthy enough during camp and without much of a preseason and the team winning, he was always on the outside looking in.

I think he’d be a great person to play with Lowry
Harkins-Lowry-Nash with Harkins playing the Tanev role... I could handle that

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Last season was odd in the sense that for the fist time the 4th line free agent pick ups performed pretty well. I do think we will integrate Ves and possibly Harkins depending on Copp’s outcome. last season we didn’t seem to lose as many man games to injury either.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Then the other bottom 6 line being Copp Gus Tonato. I imagine what’s more likely is Copp Lowry Tonato. Harkins Gus Ves
Still can’t see Mo playing a full line of prospects and Nash needs a spot

I was thinking Copp in the top six and statsny on fourth line to make sure he’s rested for the playoff run

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Still can’t see Mo playing a full line of prospects and Nash needs a spot

I was thinking Copp in the top six and statsny on fourth line to make sure he’s rested for the playoff run
You’re talking too sensical for our coach. You need to optimize your roster a little less, here

Reactions: RabidOne

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think maybe you take a different approach.. in my scenario I'm trading copp for picks or rhd prospect (Schneider in NY would be nice)

Connor Scheif Wheeler
Perfetti Dubois Ehlers
Stastny Lowry Ves
Toni/Harkins Gus Nash

Unless you make a trade for your top 6... but think Perfetti gets a shot.. maybe they let him go play the world juinors tho.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I imagine last year was an outlier and Copp is not a top 6 player.
Far more likely that Statsny is no longer a top six player...

Copp and Ehlers have always had chemistry - I'd way rather find out of Copp is a top six and yet to peak than just leave him on the checking line blocking Harkins

Reactions: hn777

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Copp and Ehlers have always had chemistry - I'd way rather find out of Copp is a top six and yet to peak than just leave him on the checking line blocking Harkins

If copp is a Jet... Stastny is top 6 on a Maurice coached team

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

That is if Ehlers stays on 2nd line I’d move him to the top line with kc and schief.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Saw all the coaching chatter in the Schmidt thread but didn't want to derail that further, and I think this is a pretty good leaping off point to continue to the discussion.

I agree with you about Maurice being good at managing relationships and setting an overall tone. He seems like a great guy and the players like him. That's great, and it's important for the Jets/True North to have a guy like that in the locker room. Winnipeg isn't as warm as Arizona, or Florida, or Tampa; we can't offer the nightlife of Vegas or Los Angeles; we don't have the endorsements that Toronto and New York benefit from; we have high taxes here; we are a small, frozen abyss in the middle of nowhere (by NHL standards) - there is a lot of things to scare players away. Vegas are being complete clowns with how they treat their players, but IMO, they can stand to get away with it more than we can just based solely on location. Winnipeg isn't terrible; no, rather, I like it here. But it would be a tough sell for some players. What I'm getting at here is a long-winded way of saying True North needs to offer something else, and Maurice is part of that. We don't have palm trees and hot girls in bikinis everywhere, but we can offer loyalty, and a players' coach.

I can also respect the opinion that we shouldn't criticize lineup decisions if we don't know the full story and the ins and outs. With all due respect, I think it's hard to justify Beaulieu on the top pairing unless he has blackmail material on Maurice, but I can try to stymie my critiques on roster and lineup decisions because I don't know the full story.

I also think our systems have been generally shit for a few years now, but perhaps that's due to the lack of talent we've been deploying on the back end. We've also seen instances of the team folding under adversity (St. Louis Game 6, Calgary series, Montreal series). But is that Maurice? Or is it a symptom of something bigger? I'm not sure.

I like the room we have. We seem to be in a much better place than we were a year ago. And the talent is coming. With Dillon and Schmidt in this year, the Jets have a good defensive core. The pressure is on Maurice now to perform with it. He's had a long leash here, and eventually, you need to win it all.

In Bomberland, O'Shea is the same way. He is a players' coach, guys WANT to play for him. He's been a big part of the appeal of us being able to bring in all these top CFL free agents in recent years (Harris wanted to come home, but even excluding him you've got guys like Medlock, Bryant, Adams, Bighill, Jefferson, etc.) The Bombers had looked like they were dragging their feet in the mud for a couple of seasons there (continuous disappointing playoff losses) but they stuck with O'Shea and it ultimately paid off. If the Jets are sticking with Maurice, all we can do is hope for the same.
I like O'Shea but he's trying to win a Championship against 8 other teams, Maurice is trying to beat 31 .

Reactions: Lorenzo1000 and GNP

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Oshea was a green rookie when he got here. Maurice was a veteran. There's a difference also. Osh surrounded himself with veteran coaches like Richie Hall and Lapolice.

Huddy prob shouldn't be here still. Flaherty is fine as Helle and him get along and are good together

8 teams 31 teams... it's all the same really. Different sports same concept behind coaching tho just with a few difference between the 2

Reactions: snowkiddin

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Oshea was a green rookie when he got here. Maurice was a veteran. There's a difference also. Osh surrounded himself with veteran coaches like Richie Hall and Lapolice.

Huddy prob shouldn't be here still. Flaherty is fine as Helle and him get along and are good together

8 teams 31 teams... it's all the same really. Different sports same concept behind coaching tho just with a few difference between the 2
Still remember how the pitch forks were out for Flaherty because he was a 'garbage' goalie coach when Pavs and Mason were here... then Helle and Brossoit changed everything.

I really wonder if Berdin isn't going to be our backup and Comrie is here for the Moose... Comrie just doesn't fit with the Jets goaltending style

Reactions: GNP

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Still remember how the pitch forks were out for Flaherty because he was a 'garbage' goalie coach when Pavs and Mason were here... then Helle and Brossoit changed everything.

I really wonder if Berdin isn't going to be our backup and Comrie is here for the Moose... Comrie just doesn't fit with the Jets goaltending style

Comrie is the backup. They've essentially said as much. "He's earned his shot".

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well I mean reality is probably...
CSW
Stats-PLD-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Nash
Toni-Gus-Poganski
Harkins-Ves
i really am not a fan of stastny on the wing

idk why we cant just try

scheifele-pld-stastny-lowry

down the middle for a bit. i know our wing depth isn't great, but that 4th line with gus will get like 5 mins a night. what's the point? CSW overplayed and then the "gassed" excuses in the POs will come-out again.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
i really am not a fan of stastny on the wing

idk why we cant just try

scheifele-pld-stastny-lowry

down the middle for a bit. i know our wing depth isn't great, but that 4th line with gus will get like 5 mins a night. what's the point? CSW overplayed and then the "gassed" excuses in the POs will come-out again.

I wouldn't be upposed to doing something like this:

CSW
Perfetti Dubois Ehlers
Copp Lowry Nash
Harkins Stastny Ves

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I wouldn't be upposed to doing something like this:

CSW
Perfetti Dubois Ehlers
Copp Lowry Nash
Harkins Stastny Ves
our best line last year was copp-stastny-ehlers, id give that some burn before putting perfetti in the top-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad