Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Comrie is the backup. They've essentially said as much. "He's earned his shot".
I know what has been said... Chevy also said at TD that Heinola was ready for the NHL last year and would get a shot... things get said.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I know what has been said... Chevy also said at TD that Heinola was ready for the NHL last year and would get a shot... things get said.

Berdin has been horrendously inconsistent in the AHL the last few years. He still has a lot he needs to work on and won't be used as the backup.

Say what you want to about Comrie but he has been fairly consistient as a good AHL starting goalie the last 3 seasons. I would imagine they have deemed him mature and seasoned enough for the role.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Sure, but I don't see any way that Berdin is the backup over Comrie to start the season unless Berdin is incredible in the pre-season AND Comrie is awful. I can see one of those two things but not both. Berdin needs more playing time.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sure, but I don't see any way that Berdin is the backup over Comrie to start the season unless Berdin is incredible in the pre-season AND Comrie is awful. I can see one of those two things but not both. Berdin needs more playing time.

Berdin likely gets one game max in the preseason given how Maurice has used his goalies in the past. He'll split the majority of games between Helle and Comrie.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Berdin has been horrendously inconsistent in the AHL the last few years. He still has a lot he needs to work on and won't be used as the backup.

Say what you want to about Comrie but he has been fairly consistient as a good AHL starting goalie the last 3 seasons. I would imagine they have deemed him mature and seasoned enough for the role.
I guess where the Comrie thing has always confused me is that he's not the same style or size as Helle and Brossoit... the players get used to a goalie style - and even size.

You're right about Berdin - he's not developing like we hoped

Still seems like we need a different backup...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I guess where the Comrie thing has always confused me is that he's not the same style or size as Helle and Brossoit... the players get used to a goalie style - and even size.

You're right about Berdin - he's not developing like we hoped

Still seems like we need a different backup...

I would say Comrie is more similar in style to Helle then Berdin. Problem is Comrie doesn't have the size. I don't think you need both your goalies to be of similar styles anyhow.

I'll reserve judgement on how he'll do. He's not the same goalie as he was when we first brought him up for games a number of years ago.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I would say Comrie is more similar in style to Helle then Berdin. Problem is Comrie doesn't have the size. I don't think you need both your goalies to be of similar styles anyhow.

I'll reserve judgement on how he'll do. He's not the same goalie as he was when we first brought him up for games a number of years ago.
We were all pretty skeptical of Brossoit when Chevy brought him in... so yeah, I'll wait to be pleasantly surprised

Reactions: AlaskaJet

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
One thing I'll be looking for this season is a bit more aggression from the D in the offensive zone.

My theory, though it's not my own and I probably stole it from someone without realizing it, is that the change from December 2018 to today on the way the backend plays is because Maurice doesn't totally trust the defencemen he has. That was compounded with the losses of Buff, Trouba and Chiarot. I think now with a top 4 of Morrissey, Schmidt, Dillon and Pionk he will not resort to having the D immediately drop back when they lose possession deeper in the o-zone.

Reactions: surixon and JetsUK

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
One thing I'll be looking for this season is a bit more aggression from the D in the offensive zone.

My theory, though it's not my own and I probably stole it from someone without realizing it, is that the change from December 2018 to today on the way the backend plays is because Maurice doesn't totally trust the defencemen he has. That was compounded with the losses of Buff, Trouba and Chiarot. I think now with a top 4 of Morrissey, Schmidt, Dillon and Pionk he will not resort to having the D immediately drop back when they lose possession deeper in the o-zone.

I would like to see much more in the way of a 5 man press in the offensive end. We need to do a better job breaking other teams coverage down so that we can open space for our high end shooters cash from.

Our team isn't a crash and bang sit infront of the net and battle for rebounds team. We are a team where our best players are predominantly sharp shooters and we need to derive a system that exploits their talents.

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
I think / fear that the competition for a play-off spot is to strong ( or uncertain from the start of the season)

Else I would love to see how Vesalainen, Perfetti and Copp would do in 4 to 6 games on these 3 different lines ( Center + main winger)

Scheifele & Ehlers or Connor + X1
PLD & Ehlers or Connor + X2
Statsny & Wheeler + X3

Lowry and what ever come out of training camp as a 3rd line.
Statsny and Wheeler + X as a learning 4th line to give them both some rest teach Ves and Perfetti. Could also be used later in the season for a short period to rest the old bodies and give one of the young players a second opportunity if they need to spend some time in AHL to improve after the start of the season. if 1 or 2 of the combination is working it will allow for some added skill to the 3rd and 4th line.
I am almost sure Ehlers+copp would work with almost all the center options, but it would be nice to know how the other options would work before play-off time.

Admitted I really like it when a winger or two can play above their ranking and let the better winger they replace on the top line(s) raise the other lines. without to much being lost on the top line(s)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Team should be very strong on paper next year. Maurice needs to do his job and get this team playing the right way. No excuses.

Reactions: pinerider

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
No sense waiting for Mo to be fired now... Chevy has given him everything he needs for a three years extension...

hopefully this D allows Mo to maximize his hybrid system that enables his D offensively

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
PMO it’s all on you now……Chevy just gave you a easy playoff team lock and a dark horse contender……..you better have a good year or your toast. No excuses now barring massive injury/injuries that sink the season

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
PMO it’s all on you now……Chevy just gave you a easy playoff team lock and a dark horse contender……..you better have a good year or your toast. No excuses now barring massive injury/injuries that sink the season
Call is wishful thinking but I believe that Maurice has 15-20 games to prove he can get the most out of this roster. If it's the Hellebucyk show with them getting out-shot and giving up tons of high danger chances he's gone regardless of their record.

Reactions: pinerider

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Call is wishful thinking but I believe that Maurice has 15-20 games to prove he can get the most out of this roster. If it's the Hellebucyk show with them getting out-shot and giving up tons of high danger chances he's gone regardless of their record.

I wish I had your optimism, IIRC his contract is up after this year. We shall see if he gets 20 games or the season to prove he can do it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
maybe we get the newly-hired coach bounce like MTL last year, or DAL the year before, or STL the year before, or VGK the year before, or PIT for the 2 years before

Reactions: thegr8one66

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He's getting the full year unless the Jets stink coming out of the gate.

Given the roster turnover it should be expected that it will take a good 15 to 20 games to really gell imo.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Only way Maurice is fired is if we continue our losing streak that ended the season.... otherwise, he gets an extension by Christmas

Reactions: thegr8one66

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
maybe we get the newly-hired coach bounce like MTL last year, or DAL the year before, or STL the year before, or VGK the year before, or PIT for the 2 years before
So you're saying there is some precident for this kind of thing working?:laugh:

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I wish I had your optimism, IIRC his contract is up after this year. We shall see if he gets 20 games or the season to prove he can do it.
I only base it that Chevy tried to trade his way out of Maurice's fractured locker room and on ice situation in 2019 only to see Hayes end up on the fourth line and the Jets mailing in game 6 against the Blues. The old 'fool me once' thing.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I only base it that Chevy tried to trade his way out of Maurice's fractured locker room and on ice situation in 2019 only to see Hayes end up on the fourth line and the Jets mailing in game 6 against the Blues. The old 'fool me once' thing.
I honestly believe that Maurice has more pull with Chipman than Chevy does... so there is that.

Same way I think Comrie is a Jet because of his dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad