Coaching Discussion - Berube's Out; Who's In? (upd.: this thread is closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulton44*

Maybe the Flyers don't have any interest in Babcock or McLellan.
Winner winner chicken dinner. I'd like for the Flyers to get Babcock and think he'd make a significant impact on the team but this whole Lebron James type of drama over what he is doing is getting on my nerves greatly. You wait, all of this drama and he will just end up staying in Detroit.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Winner winner chicken dinner. I'd like for the Flyers to get Babcock and think he'd make a significant impact on the team but this whole Lebron James type of drama over what he is doing is getting on my nerves greatly. You wait, all of this drama and he will just end up staying in Detroit.

I don't understand how you can begrudge Babcock for the MEDIA making this a big deal. What's the guy supposed to do?

He could make it a long drawn out process, but he's ending the speculation within the next couple of days. There's nothing egotistic about that.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The reality is we have no idea what's going on. Our beat writers are terrible journalists and don't know how to get the scoop on anything meaningful. All they do is speculate by spewing their opinions online, contradicting each other and leaving us confused and in the dark.

We'll know when we know. There just isn't enough info out there now to make sense of anything.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I don't understand how you can begrudge Babcock for the MEDIA making this a big deal. What's the guy supposed to do?

He could make it a long drawn out process, but he's ending the speculation within the next couple of days. There's nothing egotistic about that.

Really? He's centered all of the attention on himself. He didn't have to set a deadline or schedule an exclusive interview with TSN, but he did. If he didn't, I'm pretty certain that he'd have much less media attention. I get why he's doing all of this--he wants the best contract he can get. He thinks he's the best coach out there. Not really convinced he his. (Plus, he referred to himself in the third person :laugh:)

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Really? He's centered all of the attention on himself. He didn't have to set a deadline or schedule an exclusive interview with TSN, but he did. If he didn't, I'm pretty certain that he'd have much less media attention. I get why he's doing all of this--he wants the best contract he can get. He thinks he's the best coach out there. Not really convinced he his. (Plus, he referred to himself in the third person :laugh:)

The attention was centered on him regardless of what he did or didn't do...

There have been rumors about Babcock's free agency for over a year now. The media hype hasn't changed Holland's valuation of Babcock, and it's certainly not a ploy by Babcock like so many people believe.

What would you rather him do? Having a single interview with TSN does not make him an attention *****...

Fulton44*

Well said. It isn't exactly difficult to see how Babcock is playing this.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
The attention was centered on him regardless of what he did or didn't do...

There have been rumors about Babcock's free agency for over a year now. The media hype hasn't changed Holland's valuation of Babcock, and it's certainly not a ploy by Babcock like so many people believe.

What would you rather him do? Having a single interview with TSN does not make him an attention *****...

Come on, Babcocks's raised a lot of questions for speculation by the media in his recent interviews. He definitely could have done things more quietly.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Come on, Babcocks's raised a lot of questions for speculation by the media in his recent interviews. He definitely could have done things more quietly.

Elaborate please.

He's been asked a ton of questions by the media and has said he doesn't have a decision made but plans to have one soon. WTF do you want him to do? :laugh:

EDIT: And I count only one interview...

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Elaborate please.

He's been asked a ton of questions by the media and has said he doesn't have a decision made but plans to have one soon. WTF do you want him to do? :laugh:

EDIT: And I count only one interview...

Babcock interviewed following Detroit's playoff elimination. He raised questions about the old core, the farm system, and the ability of the team to win in the playoffs.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Babcock interviewed following Detroit's playoff elimination. He raised questions about the old core, the farm system, and the ability of the team to win in the playoffs.

You mean a post-season press conference like every GM and coach do? Still not seeing how that's attention whorish even if it was a media interview.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
You mean a post-season press conference like every GM and coach do? Still not seeing how that's attention whorish even if it was a media interview.

No, this was immediately following the game 7 loss. Babcock didn't have to express those concerns about his team. He could have supported them and kept his head down until he came to a decision about his future. Pretty simple.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
No, this was immediately following the game 7 loss. Babcock didn't have to express those concerns about his team. He could have supported them and kept his head down until he came to a decision about his future. Pretty simple.

Still not understanding how that's attention whorish. Are you saying that raising concerns about the Wings' future was an attempt by him to emphasize the fact that he's a free agent? I don't understand the logical connection there. Lots of coaches have similar things to say after playoff exits...

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Still not understanding how that's attention whorish. Are you saying that raising concerns about the Wings' future was an attempt by him to emphasize the fact that he's a free agent? I don't understand the logical connection there. Lots of coaches have similar things to say after playoff exits...

You have really latched onto the phrase attention *****. I said that Babcock's attracted a lot of attention by himself. Also, making a connection between those expressed concerns and a desire to move on to a different team is not exactly a logical leap. I think it's ridiculous to claim that all of this is on the media. Babcock has been implicit in the storylines presented to interested NHL fans.

Fulton44*

I think the safe money is on Kevin Dineen at this point, with Dan Bylsma, Guy Boucher, Pete Deboer, and Jeff Blashill as possibilities.

Also, I don't get the infatuation with Todd McLellan. His teams in San Jose constantly underachieved in the playoffs and choked away some 3-1, 3-2 series leads.

Blooger Tron

Apr 21, 2015
Planet Vegeta
I think the safe money is on Kevin Dineen at this point, with Dan Bylsma, Guy Boucher, Pete Deboer, and Jeff Blashill as possibilities.

Also, I don't get the infatuation with Todd McLellan. His teams in San Jose constantly underachieved in the playoffs and choked away some 3-1, 3-2 series leads.

3-0 lead blown last year as well if I remember correctly.

The bolded are the coaches I want after Babcock and Mclellan.

As for the infatuation with Mclellan. Any coach that plays Couts properly is good in my books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad