Coaching Discussion - Berube's Out; Who's In? (upd.: this thread is closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Old Thread

McLellan and Sharks part ways

The San Jose Sharks and head coach Todd McLellan have mutually agreed to part ways.

The decision comes after the Sharks missed the playoffs for the first time since 2002-03. San Jose finished fifth in the Pacific Division with a 40-33-9 record.

McLellan, 47, has been the Sharks’ head coach since 2008-09, taking the reins from Ron Wilson.

He guided the team to first in the Pacific Division in each of his first three seasons as head coach, twice reaching the Western Conference Final. However, the franchise was still unable to advance to a first-ever Stanley Cup Final under his tenure as head coach.

In 540 games as Sharks’ coach, McLellan has posted a 311-163-66 record.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Now the question is, do we jump at McLellan or do we hold out hope for Babcock first?

FlyersKevin

Apr 19, 2015
McLellan has to be the top candidate now.. The other coaches on the shortlist mostly have jobs right now.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Now the question is, do we jump at McLellan or do we hold out hope for Babcock first?

If he is our guy, get him. Babcock isn't going to get the control he is rumored to want in Philly !

Nice for G to work with him too for next few weeks.

SchennSational1022*

We're kind of stuck in limbo, if we want Babcock we might wait to long and lose out on McLellan. Tough spot for Hexy.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
I think McClellan would be my top choice, maybe even ahead of Babcock considering the power Babcock wants. Go out and get him Hextall!

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
I would be all over this. Puck possession coach with players like G and Voracek. My god we dump and chase with players like this?! Todd McLellan will be to the Flyers as Alain Vigneault was to the Rangers. Do it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm all for McLellan. Let's get it done.

I firmly believe that if this doesn't get done in the next few days, it's because Hexy and his "good friend" Babcock already have a verbal agreement.

Maybe McLellan is the better choice anyway. Detroit has often complained of Babcock not being "youth friendly" and playing grinders like Abdelkader too often with their skilled players.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Some National Writers predicting that McLellan may be the top choice for them anyway

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm all for McLellan. Let's get it done.

I firmly believe that if this doesn't get done in the next few days, it's because Hexy and his "good friend" Babcock already have a verbal agreement.

Maybe McLellan is the better choice anyway. Detroit has often complained of Babcock not being "youth friendly" and playing grinders like Abdelkader too often with their skilled players.

The Flyers aren't the only team that will be going after McLellan. McLellan will also be coaching Canada at the WC's which very well could affect his time table.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No, the Flyers aren't the only team that will be going after McLellan.

Good point. I can see New Jersey making a play. Toronto will put its eggs in the Babcock basket.

Edmonton needs a coach too.

Should be interesting.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I would be all over this. Puck possession coach with players like G and Voracek. My god we dump and chase with players like this?! Todd McLellan will be to the Flyers as Alain Vigneault was to the Rangers. Do it.

I am a little bite leery about him. He coached a team with a good cast of players that choked year after year in play offs. Will he get "enough out of players"?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I am a little bite leery about him. He coached a team with a good cast of players that choked year after year in play offs. Will he get "enough out of players"?

He wasn't a playoff coach here, but he will get you to the postseason atleast.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, I'm not a fan of waiting for Babcock, especially if it means McLellan being picked up and Babcock going elsewhere as well. Get McLellan now. He will do well here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad