Coaching Discussion - Berube's Out; Who's In? (upd.: this thread is closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The fact that Penguins fans would be happy with him coming here really tells you all you need to know about Bylsma.

Imagine if the Pens were considering hiring Berube.... We'd be like helllllll yes do it because we know how horrible he is.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I have felt from the start that Babcock would stay in Detroit. Ilitch has money to burn so salary isn't an issue. Actually the Wings have a good amount of young talent but no super stars. There was a rumor towards the end of the season that he and Datsyuk had locked horns. It could be that Babcock feels that his voice has gone stale in the locker room and for the best interests of all concerned that he should move on. It does seem a bit strange that if he really wanted to stay in Detroit that he wouldn't have signed an extension by now.

Evergreen

I've said from the start the Flyers will be an attractive option for Babcock, and I stand by that now.

He wants a team he can mold AND a team that is capable of being competitive. That means he doesn't want an already established core but he doesn't want a core that has no identity yet (eg, Toronto or Buffalo).

The Flyers give him what he wants. It's a team that he can make something out of in the near future, but one with the long-term infrastructure in place to build something good down the road. I really do think he's going to be the guy even if Hextall isn't going full court press for him. I just think it's a pretty logical fit.

Ed Snider is one of the most involved owners in the league. Babcock wants power without having to report to anyone like Snider. That's why Babcock isn't coming here.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ed Snider is one of the most involved owners in the league. Babcock wants power without having to report to anyone like Snider. That's why Babcock isn't coming here.

That's just a rumor with nothing to back it up. He's even said he's just a coach and has no interest in being a GM or having similar power. All he wants is a voice, no reason why Hextall wouldn't give him that.

So if he doesn't come here, it won't be because of that.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The more I read about Babcock the less excited I get. He refers to himself by name and his involvement in this approaches L. James propaganda and I can't stand that guy.

I would still be happy to get him as I think he is the best out there, especially if TM if gone to EDM, just not as happy.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
The more I read about Babcock the less excited I get. He refers to himself by name and his involvement in this approaches L. James propaganda and I can't stand that guy.

I would still be happy to get him as I think he is the best out there, especially if TM if gone to EDM, just not as happy.
What do you mean? Got an example?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
According to Friedman only Buffalo & Toronto has filed for compensation with Detroit in regards to Babcock.

So it looks like as of now the Flyers aren't in the sweepstakes. Babcock could make a decision by Wednesday.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I think he ends up back in Detroit. I kind of thought that from the start though.

I kind of find it weird that Flyers haven't even thrown their hat into the ring at this point.

I'm don't think that's what it means. There's no deadline to hire Babcock (well, June 1st I guess, but it's obviously not going to take that long). If Babcock decides the Flyers are his choice, the Flyers can subsequently file for compensation at that point.

Blooger Tron

Apr 21, 2015
Planet Vegeta
Until he is traded to Buffalo. Buffalo gets Babcock and then trades for ROR. Prongo dies.

If he does sign in Detroit, Flyers should really target their AHL coach then, Blashill.

.... You're right...... Well best of luck with that.

And yeah I think they should go after Blashill too if Babcock re signs

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm don't think that's what it means. There's no deadline to hire Babcock (well, June 1st I guess, but it's obviously not going to take that long). If Babcock decides the Flyers are his choice, the Flyers can subsequently file for compensation at that point.

Detroit is making teams agree to compensation in order to talk to Babcock so by not agreeing to it means the Flyers have not talked to Babcock at this point with a decision looming.

Hextall's really running against the clock if he does indeed have interest in Babcock.

Fulton44*

If the Flyers really aren't in on Mike Babcock you'd think they would have known by now and would already be actively searching for their next coach which could mean a few things.

A. Jeff Blashill is a top candidate and they are waiting to see if Babcock goes back to Detroit and if he is an option.

B. They are waiting on Kevin Dineen or another assistant coach from one of the last four teams.

C. Hextall is just really taking his time here and/or keeping an incredibly tight lid on things.

I still wouldn't rule out Babcock but I have felt like all along this was kind of a joke and that he'd end up back in Detroit.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Detroit is making teams agree to compensation in order to talk to Babcock so by not agreeing to it means the Flyers have not talked to Babcock at this point with a decision looming.

Hextall's really running against the clock if he does indeed have interest in Babcock.

But, as I understand, the compensation is only to hire Babcock, not to simply talk to him. Basically, he's free to talk with whomever, but he can't sign with a team until they agree to compensation. Unless I'm misguided there, I don't think not filing for compensation is proof of a team not having spoken with him like Friedman was implying.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But, as I understand, the compensation is only to hire Babcock, not to simply talk to him. Basically, he's free to talk with whomever, but he can't sign with a team until they agree to compensation. Unless I'm misguided there, I don't think not filing for compensation is proof of a team not having spoken with him like Friedman was implying.

The compensation is pending but Detroit is making teams file for compensation up front in order to talk to Babcock. It only goes through if Babcock ends up going there.

Babcock is still under contract by Detroit until July 1st so they can block him from talking to other teams this early.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Are you sure about this? The earlier reports from a week or two ago seem to imply Babcock was given permission by the Wings to talk to any team.

A tweet from a Detroit writer that Wings fans seem to highly value:
Holland said teams that want to talk to Babcock must sign compensation letter agreeing to give Wings' 3rd round pick if they hire him.
Source: Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive

Here's another from a The Hockey News reporter:
If team gets permission to talk to Babcock, Red Wings will get a third-round pick as compensation if it hires him, even if contract expired.
Source: Ken Campbell @THNKenCampbell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad