Coaching Discussion - Berube's Out; Who's In? (upd.: this thread is closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
TFP isn't really a reliable source of information. They repackage what's already out there and claim "oh yeah I heard that too," and try to present their own conclusion.

Well thanks for the slight glimmer of hope. Would be very confusing and frustrating if Hexy didn't even try to communicate with him.

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
Also, I don't get the infatuation with Todd McLellan. His teams in San Jose constantly underachieved in the playoffs and choked away some 3-1, 3-2 series leads.

I would say most times that is on the players. They pulled the same crap with Ron Wilson as coach.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I've made the case in this thread that Babcock, while a good coach, is overhyped, and that there are a number of coaches equally as adept who simply haven't had the benefit of the same opportunities.

I've argued the Flyers would be better off with a coach who can forge an identity together with a young rebuilding team, not a situation where the coach is the star.

Listening to Babcock refer to himself in the third person and wear flip flops to a TSN interview about himself only reinforces my thought process.

Let some other team fawn over this self-important ***** who clearly believes his own press clippings.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I've made the case in this thread that Babcock, while a good coach, is overhyped, and that there are a number of coaches equally as adept who simply haven't had the benefit of the same opportunities.

I've argued the Flyers would be better off with a coach who can forge an identity together with a young rebuilding team, not a situation where the coach is the star.

Listening to Babcock refer to himself in the third person and wear flip flops to a TSN interview about himself only reinforces my thought process.

Let some other team fawn over this self-important ***** who clearly believes his own press clippings.
I'm starting to agree with this. Whoever they pick I will give time to prove themselves, even if it is a name out of left field.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
And sometimes it takes even very good coaches a decade and multiple teams to take a group of players to the next level. Look at the playoff record these double-Cup winning coaches put up with their first two teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Quenneville#Coaching_record
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darryl_Sutter#NHL_coaching_record

Having really talented teams sure helps. Everybody reveres Scotty Bowman but it's not like he took a bunch off slags to the cup. He coached some of the best players of their era.

That's why I don't really care so much about who they name as coach and more about how the Flyers will improve the talent level of the roster.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This is pure speculation on my part, but I believe Hextall would hire Tippett if Tippett exited his contract in Arizona.

That doesn't appear likely to happen, so my next guess would be Dineen.

I found it interesting that Hextall hired Gord Murphy to be an assistant coach last season, as Murphy was Dineen's assistant in Florida.

Surely, Hextall spoke with Dineen about the hire.

Rightly or wrongly, it made me wonder if Dineen was on Hextall's radar.

Here's a prediction: Flyers hire Dineen. Murphy stays. Terry Murray becomes the other assistant. And Laperriere becomes the Phantoms head coach.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Having really talented teams sure helps. Everybody reveres Scotty Bowman but it's not like he took a bunch off slags to the cup. He coached some of the best players of their era.

That's why I don't really care so much about who they name as coach and more about how the Flyers will improve the talent level of the roster.

Yeah, I feel like hockey is probably the hardest sport in which to gauge a coach. Football you see it on a regular basis with play calling, time management, etc. Basketball I don't care about so maybe it harder in that sport. Baseball you can see a good manager a mile way. But hockey it is really tough. There are plenty of coaches who have failed in one spot and won a ton in others. It has so much to do with the players on the team. That's not to say that having a good coach is irrelevant...it obviously it not. But I do see what people are saying about Babcock possibly being overrated. I'd still prefer him to the others available (outside of the Great One), but I understand the hesitance to give up a third rounder for him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The way I think of it, Babcock isn't going to be a guaranteed cup or make the team a ton better on his own, what he will probably do is the least amount of damage that a coach can do to the team.

If we get a lesser coach that person could end up being detrimental to the team, like Berube was, but at least we know that Babcock isn't going to stop a team from competing.

A good coach uses a team properly and maximizes their effectiveness, they don't make the players play on another level or somehow make bad players gain talent. But a bad coach can stifle talent and make it much harder to win, we've seen that. So getting Babcock isn't about wanting a coach that will make the Flyers instant contenders, it's more that he's proven he doesn't stop teams from becoming that.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Guys, call me crazy, but i have a strong feeling we're going to hire Dave Hakstol from North Dakota.

I know i'm going to get flamed for this, but just a gut feeling.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Guys, call me crazy, but i have a strong feeling we're going to hire Dave Hakstol from North Dakota.

I know i'm going to get flamed for this, but just a gut feeling.

You're such an idiot! They'll never hire him! ;):sarcasm:

I was kinda expecting a name outside the organization. Just not outside the NHL.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Don't know much about him... will check it out... but please remember my calling for a hiring like Shero who was not an NHL staple and was an innovator and a lower level winner wherever he's been. ;)

Edit: To be fair, Shero was coached at the lower professional level... not a college coach. Thinking that Flyers may be more into a take some time for the long haul mode.

Last edited:

Jgboys1

Apr 28, 2012
Long Island New York
Don't know much about him... will check it out... but please remember my calling for a hiring like Shero who was not an NHL staple and was an innovator and a lower level winner wherever he's been. ;)

Edit: To be fair, Shero was an NHL player and lower professional level... not a college coach. Thinking that Flyers may be more into a take some time for the long haul mode.

I agree. Unless this guy falls flat on his face, I could see this guy being here for at least 5+years.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I agree. Unless this guy falls flat on his face, I could see this guy being here for at least 5+years.

Also with that I was alluding to my thinking that they may be willing to not expect instant gratification in his first year... but rather be setting their sights on eventually establishing a team that will be in it for a while, with him, as opposed to going whole hog for a Cup ASAP... Getting into the POs again certainly, but not expecting an immediate Cup contender.

Jgboys1

Apr 28, 2012
Long Island New York
Also with that I was alluding to my thinking that they may be willing to not expect instant gratification in his first year... but rather be setting their sights on eventually establishing a team that will be in it for a while, with him, as opposed to going whole hog for a Cup ASAP... Getting into the POs again certainly, but not expecting an immediate Cup contender.

I think that is the case. I hate the, ok we fell short this year, lets sign some FA's past their prime and try it again next year, mentality. It seems like they want to build some long term success, which I like seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad