Coachella Firebirds: News and Discussion

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
D’Accord setting himself up nicely to bid his services this off-season. Could see his agent blowing up Chicago, SJ, maybe others looking for someplace he could compete not just for a roster slot but a chance to start? Good for him tbh.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I've been offline the last few weeks quite a bit for a variety of personal reasons, but this has been an awesome story so far and I've missed celebrating the moments with y'all.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I am very hopeful about the Kraken development pipeline as far as forwards go. Kartye is very likely to start the season in the NHL. Wright probably needs more time in the AHL. Not just that, I would not be shocked to see one of Melanson or Winterton get a look. Especially Melanson, with his NHL-style game and physicality. Winterton rebounded big time in the playoffs leading all of his league in points, though I think he needs some time in the AHL first.

Then we also have Morrison, who, fingers crossed, could be this season's Kartye.

Outside of what you mentioned about Sprong, a big issue is that he is an arbitration-eligible RFA. What he would get rewarded as a 20G scorer would likely be too much, even for a one-year contract. It may be in his best interests to look for a cheap-ish multi-year deal elsewhere. Ideally, if we could do a sign-and-trade or trade his rights, it would be great, but I don't think that happens.
Good point about Sprong and arbitration.

People have to remember this is only the second year. We can't expect a huge influx of youth that fast. This is why when you look at the salary cap structure, they've done a good job of staggering contracts so that a few come up at a time (and not too many) so each year they can reassess as to whether they need to re-sign, get a new FA, or save a spot for a prospect. They've done a good job.

We're going to have to do something on D though. A few question marks there and then there's back up goalie. A lot of goalies in play this year. Do we trade for one? Sign a new one? Just hold and re-sign Jones? A big decision there. Gru was good in the playoffs, but he needs a good back up to take a load off the regular season.

Reactions: Irie

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Good point about Sprong and arbitration.

People have to remember this is only the second year. We can't expect a huge influx of youth that fast. This is why when you look at the salary cap structure, they've done a good job of staggering contracts so that a few come up at a time (and not too many) so each year they can reassess as to whether they need to re-sign, get a new FA, or save a spot for a prospect. They've done a good job.

We're going to have to do something on D though. A few question marks there and then there's back up goalie. A lot of goalies in play this year. Do we trade for one? Sign a new one? Just hold and re-sign Jones? A big decision there. Gru was good in the playoffs, but he needs a good back up to take a load off the regular season.
The D SHOULD be fine, assuming both Dunn and Borgen come back, which I expect they do. Megna showed little last season, but my hope is tied to Evans coming out of the gate and pairing with Borgen right away.

And I agree on the backup G position is a challenge. Driedger has not been a reliable backup so far. He has had multiple injury issues, and the fact that Daccord started the majority of the games over him for the Firebirds gives me a bad feeling. We do have a good amount of goalies under contract, but all of them are unproven at the NHL level and Daccord is likely to move on to greener pastures.

Reactions: GrungeHockey

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Anybody seen if they are able to put games 3 and 4 on Root? I realize those games being in Hershey is a challenge, but I’m hoping they are able to show them.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Anybody seen if they are able to put games 3 and 4 on Root? I realize those games being in Hershey is a challenge, but I’m hoping they are able to show them.
According to the post game on the radio, they are going to broadcast the games locally here in the desert, so I assume Root will pick up that feed.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Re: Dreiger, Gibson, and Daccord,

There was a tremendous drop off in goalie play when Dreiger and Gibson started games for the Firebird. After Dreiger got into his third game he seemed to be a bit steadier, and it may be just an issue with getting plenty of starts with him to get to a good place. Daccord has had the "it" factor when it comes to making the big save at the right time all season long. Gibson was the only one of the three that seemed to give up deflating goals.

Daccord will be on an NHL roster next season, no doubt in my mind. He has got that starting goalie swagger.

How does that work if the Mariners play at the same time?
Programming wise, I have no idea.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Re: Dreiger, Gibson, and Daccord,

There was a tremendous drop off in goalie play when Dreiger and Gibson started games for the Firebird. After Dreiger got into his third game he seemed to be a bit steadier, and it may be just an issue with getting plenty of starts with him to get to a good place. Daccord has had the "it" factor when it comes to making the big save at the right time all season long. Gibson was the only one of the three that seemed to give up deflating goals.

Daccord will be on an NHL roster next season, no doubt in my mind. He has got that starting goalie swagger.

Programming wise, I have no idea.

Root sports plus. I have yet to see root sports NW pick up the rest of the series.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I'll just say screw it and pay the $9 to watch the rest of the Calder if I have to. Not done with hockey just yet.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Watched the third period come back yesterday and the OT! Was pretty pumped they tied it. Thought they had the better of the chances and many more of them then Hershey! Hope the boyz are pissed off and hammer the Bears tomorrow night and Saturday!Go FireBirds Go!!!

Yep

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
So it's your contention that Sprong was a late bloomer and he's now a consistent 20 plus goal scorer. I think he's a one dimensional fringe player who had a bit of a lucky career year. Management can decide where their view is. maybe between the two.
Sprong had a Lucky year? Put him with Wennberg and another winger like Burakovsky and you'd see 30-35 goals!Besides none of Sprong goals were Lucky they were all top flight goals except for one or two that went in off his "fanny"

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
The Kraken probably will need to replace Soucy and Jones and Donato possibly! Geekie becomes trade bait if Wright shows up and plays like he should and can. Evans replaces Soucy? Not sure he's quite ready for regular NHL duty though he has played well in the AHL his rookie year! I'd give him another year in the A with the hope he becomes an ALL-Star and then move to the SHOW! As for Jones, I'd have to say thank-you for saving the Kraken season when the team needed it! He may be too expensive but you never know perhaps he comes back? Stezka was signed and Daccord is making a name for himself to be the Back up in Seattle! 6-4 Stezka was already drafted(Minny)and is a veteran goaltender who could surprise people!And he's signed to a one year deal that is pretty cheap(870 G)!As for Donato he may have run into the numbers game and he's better than a 4th liner! He can become a regular 20 goal scorer if he gets top 9 minutes and some PP time! Always liked his speed and he's a team guy!Geekie is not much of a scorer though he's become better on the Dot!He's versatile too but with Wright having to make the team next year(unless there is a reclassification of the rules) there are some questions there the team(GMFrancis,Hakstol and Co.) need to ask themselves? But first priority is getting Dunn signed to a deal and probably a long term deal(6-8 years)6-7-8 Million per?Gru makes the most(5.9 M) for another 4 years and there are others(Eberle,Burakovsky,McCann and Schwartz) making 5.5 M and Bjorkstand) making 5.4 M! And Larsson needing a big(4 M to 6 M) raise in two years time! A lot of questions and some answers but some will dealt with sooner rather than later I imagine

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Sprong had a Lucky year? Put him with Wennberg and another winger like Burakovsky and you'd see 30-35 goals!Besides none of Sprong goals were Lucky they were all top flight goals except for one or two that went in off his "fanny"
That is not how it always works. I would argue the opposite that Sprong's defensive liabilities would have a negative influence on offensive zone time against tougher competition. He played on a team with insane forward depth and reaped the benefit of playing against lesser competition thanks to the quality of his linemates.
The Kraken probably will need to replace Soucy and Jones and Donato possibly! Geekie becomes trade bait if Wright shows up and plays like he should and can. Evans replaces Soucy? Not sure he's quite ready for regular NHL duty though he has played well in the AHL his rookie year! I'd give him another year in the A with the hope he becomes an ALL-Star and then move to the SHOW! As for Jones, I'd have to say thank-you for saving the Kraken season when the team needed it! He may be too expensive but you never know perhaps he comes back? Stezka was signed and Daccord is making a name for himself to be the Back up in Seattle! 6-4 Stezka was already drafted(Minny)and is a veteran goaltender who could surprise people!And he's signed to a one year deal that is pretty cheap(870 G)!As for Donato he may have run into the numbers game and he's better than a 4th liner! He can become a regular 20 goal scorer if he gets top 9 minutes and some PP time! Always liked his speed and he's a team guy!Geekie is not much of a scorer though he's become better on the Dot!He's versatile too but with Wright having to make the team next year(unless there is a reclassification of the rules) there are some questions there the team(GMFrancis,Hakstol and Co.) need to ask themselves? But first priority is getting Dunn signed to a deal and probably a long term deal(6-8 years)6-7-8 Million per?Gru makes the most(5.9 M) for another 4 years and there are others(Eberle,Burakovsky,McCann and Schwartz) making 5.5 M and Bjorkstand) making 5.4 M! And Larsson needing a big(4 M to 6 M) raise in two years time! A lot of questions and some answers but some will dealt with sooner rather than later I imagine
We do not need a backup IF Driedger is at 100% health to start the season. There is no need to sign a 3rd goalie if that is the case. And in that case, like most teams, you depend on calling up a goalie from the Cuda. Alternatively, if the team does not have faith in Driedger, you try to see if Daccord is willing to sign a 1-way contract and hope that Driedger is picked up on waivers or just deal with the cap repercussions of him playing there.

You have now bought up both Donato and Sprong as top-9 players. Maybe so but they are unlikely to play a role like that on a team that is hoping for a deep playoff run. I am less opposed to bringing Donato back than Sprong, but it needs to be in a 4th line role.

I would be very surprised if Dunn is not re-signed. However, if he is looking for upwards of 7.5M AAV, I can see Francis balking and just looking to move him before the draft. Same with Borgen but for AAV, not over 3.5M AAV. Our roster will be set for next season after the D re-signings.

McCann-Beniers-Eberle
Schwartz-Wennberg-Burakovsky
Tolvanen-Gourde-Bjorkstrand
Tanev-?-?

Dunn-Larsson
Schultz-Oleksiak
Megna/Evans-Borgen
Evans/Megna

Grubi
Driedger
Daccord - sign if there is not much faith in Driedger, Stetzka or any other AHL goalie

For that 4th line we have:

Kartye - ELC (very likely to start season on the Kraken)
Geekie - RFA (re-sign)
Donato - UFA (re-sign)
Wright - ELC (I am still not sure if he is ready for full time NHL minutes)
Other AHL prospect - ELC/RFA

If the team wants to improve itself, what they need is a quality top-4 D to push Schultz or Oleksiak down the roster. Unless we can pull that off in a trade, that may be too expensive.

In my mind, a healthy Driedger is still a better option than Jones or an unknown FA goalie signing.

Reactions: Fuhrious

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Sprong's career stats.

It was a lucky career year. If you think he's actually valuable, well good for you. He has a fan then. Buy a Sprong jersey while you can.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Sprong's career stats.

It was a lucky career year. If you think he's actually valuable, well good for you. He has a fan then. Buy a Sprong jersey while you can.
With the right linemates and regular playing time on the PP,Sprong pots 40 goals alongside McCann who'll do it again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad