Coachella Firebirds: News and Discussion

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Going to be hard to keep,Wright,Kartye and Lind in Seattle next year as the 12th,13th and 14th forward!Lind will need to clear waivers
Geekie, Sprong and Donato are your question marks in that as well. If none of those 3 are in their plans you only have 12 forwards with the 3 above. They have options, but isn't amazing to already think about too many players, actual depth, for a team entering it's 3rd season? Impressive.

Reactions: Kevinsane

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Geekie, Sprong and Donato are your question marks in that as well. If none of those 3 are in their plans you only have 12 forwards with the 3 above. They have options, but isn't amazing to already think about too many players, actual depth, for a team entering it's 3rd season? Impressive.
If Wright has a good/great camp the Kraken deal Geekie to the Coyotes?And does Kartye make Donato expendable despite closeness with the group?Maybe Donato signs elsewhere for chance at a top 9 role.And Sprong will want how much...2.0-3.5 M? Then there's the Defensive signings to come?

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
If Wright has a good/great camp the Kraken deal Geekie to the Coyotes?And does Kartye make Donato expendable despite closeness with the group?Maybe Donato signs elsewhere for chance at a top 9 role.And Sprong will want how much...2.0-3.5 M? Then there's the Defensive signings to come?

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I'm not sure what your point is but I don't see a money problem. Contracts are staggered well and we will have new rookie deals coming up over the years. The question is only how much depth you need and who makes the roster. The rookies have to earn their spots, but I don't see any of those 3 as essential players. I'm not in a rush to dump them or anything but Donato Geekie and Sprong are all fringe players.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I'm not sure what your point is but I don't see a money problem. Contracts are staggered well and we will have new rookie deals coming up over the years. The question is only how much depth you need and who makes the roster. The rookies have to earn their spots, but I don't see any of those 3 as essential players. I'm not in a rush to dump them or anything but Donato Geekie and Sprong are all fringe players.
Sprong scored 20 goals and is not a fringe player I might add!Donato can slot anywhere and Geekie is that lone RC the Kraken at the moment

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Out of those three I'd still like to keep Geekie.

He shouldn't be that costly and he can play center or wing while also win a faceoff.
That's something of value for a 12th - 13th forward on your team.
I'm not against keeping any of them. I'm just saying that none of them are vital to the future and so if a kid comes up and we need a spot for them, there it is.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I'm not against keeping any of them. I'm just saying that none of them are vital to the future and so if a kid comes up and we need a spot for them, there it is.
Sprong won some games with his scoring and he was effective on the PP when given a fair chance!He's a lot better than a 4th line player

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
1-0 Kartye! What a stud this guy might be

One thing I will say having watched the thunderbirds recently and now this Coachella game, the kraken games feel like they are in fast forward in comparison. Speed of the game is so much faster

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
5-0 so far. Lind, true and Froden are so dominant at this level. I'm surprised they haven't made more of an impact when called up to the kraken.

3rd goal was awesome to see

Kartye, daccord and Evans look good.

Wright has been involved at points and had some shots and won some draws but doesn't look like a difference maker yet.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Sprong won some games with his scoring and he was effective on the PP when given a fair chance!He's a lot better than a 4th line player
So it's your contention that Sprong was a late bloomer and he's now a consistent 20 plus goal scorer. I think he's a one dimensional fringe player who had a bit of a lucky career year. Management can decide where their view is. maybe between the two.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Sprong is a weird player in that I think he excels when not paired with the best players on a team. When he's gotten bigger minutes with better players for the Kraken (due to injuries and what not), it has always seemed like he disappears, then, put him on the 4th line and he's scoring goals. Weird deal. I say all of this with no data other than "Sure seems like it" to back it up. I like Sprong, but I don't think they should qualify him, but it may come back to bite them.

Reactions: brewski420

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
So it's your contention that Sprong was a late bloomer and he's now a consistent 20 plus goal scorer. I think he's a one dimensional fringe player who had a bit of a lucky career year. Management can decide where their view is. maybe between the two.
I am here with you. Also, calling Sprong a consistent 20-plus goal scorer would be very disingenuous since this is the first time he has passed that threshold in a season. His season high before this season was 14.

Also, Hakstol healthy-scratched him multiple times this season. He does have his value on the PP but someone like Tolvanen is much more valuable and brings much more to the table than Sprong does. Heck, I would say so does Donato but he does not have the elite shot that Sprong has.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I am here with you. Also, calling Sprong a consistent 20-plus goal scorer would be very disingenuous since this is the first time he has passed that threshold in a season. His season high before this season was 14.

Also, Hakstol healthy-scratched him multiple times this season. He does have his value on the PP but someone like Tolvanen is much more valuable and brings much more to the table than Sprong does. Heck, I would say so does Donato but he does not have the elite shot that Sprong has.
I think that's absolutely true. Tolvanen definitely brings more than Sprong and fits better in terms of his overall game. I'd also agree that Donato is a better 4th line/role player fit as he does bring a little more of a 2 way game along with high effort.
As we grow/develop/evolve we have to look at individual roles more and one dimensional scorers don't really fit on what you want out of a 4th line. We need something more like the Vegas unit ideally.
Sprong is kind of similar to Olafsson in Buffalo. Another over 20 goal scorer who got moved to the edges of the line up to let the younger guys develop (Peterka, Quinn). The spots are there for Kartye, Wright, etc. to earn.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think that's absolutely true. Tolvanen definitely brings more than Sprong and fits better in terms of his overall game. I'd also agree that Donato is a better 4th line/role player fit as he does bring a little more of a 2 way game along with high effort.
As we grow/develop/evolve we have to look at individual roles more and one dimensional scorers don't really fit on what you want out of a 4th line. We need something more like the Vegas unit ideally.
Sprong is kind of similar to Olafsson in Buffalo. Another over 20 goal scorer who got moved to the edges of the line up to let the younger guys develop (Peterka, Quinn). The spots are there for Kartye, Wright, etc. to earn.
I am very hopeful about the Kraken development pipeline as far as forwards go. Kartye is very likely to start the season in the NHL. Wright probably needs more time in the AHL. Not just that, I would not be shocked to see one of Melanson or Winterton get a look. Especially Melanson, with his NHL-style game and physicality. Winterton rebounded big time in the playoffs leading all of his league in points, though I think he needs some time in the AHL first.

Then we also have Morrison, who, fingers crossed, could be this season's Kartye.

Outside of what you mentioned about Sprong, a big issue is that he is an arbitration-eligible RFA. What he would get rewarded as a 20G scorer would likely be too much, even for a one-year contract. It may be in his best interests to look for a cheap-ish multi-year deal elsewhere. Ideally, if we could do a sign-and-trade or trade his rights, it would be great, but I don't think that happens.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Firebirds are rolling... not sure what players won't be coming back at the NHL level but some of these players will be pushing for depth roles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad