Co-ed locker rooms

Droid6

Feb 7, 2012
Norfolk, VA
This_thread_is_worthless_without_pictures.jpg

SCritical

:pout:Our rink has five changerooms. There are four house teams in each grade, so they each get their own room. But when I showed up for my first game and went to merrily stroll into our room with my teammates, I was informed that all female players (like, all seven of us) were to change in room 5. No exceptions.

Trouble is, this room happens to be the local semi pro team’s official changing room. So the players on the team waltz in and out without knocking ALL THE TIME to – well, I have no idea. As do the coaches. But being surprised in my undies by someone I then have to look in the eye and be COACHED by is so much more disrupting than nonchalantly gearing up in a room full of guys with their eyes fixed resolutely on their bags. Not to mention when I’m in there on my own I can hear everything my team is saying in the next room, and it sounds like they’re having such a good time without me. Hmph! :pout:

epo

Oct 27, 2011
1 nobody look when they are changing
2 let them shower first
3 flash the mangina when they come back

bp spec

Jun 7, 2010
Different locker rooms. The girls changes in a ref locker room. Has always been like that I suppose. On occasional times, they changes with the boys though. I don't care which way it's handled

RJ8812*

I've never been on a team that was co-ed for hockey. however, i did work at an arena, and if there were girls on the team, they had their own room to change in

Ice4ever

Dec 13, 2016
I haaaaate having a girls-only locker room.

Second, it's impossible to kvetch or celebrate the game because you're in there with the team you just played. Third, you never learn your teammates' names because you never see them out of uniform or just chat.

I've played for a long time and probably half of the time there has been a female player on the team and for the most part they have shared the locker room. The notable exception was a league that played before work so everyone was showering after. In that group the women from the different teams had their own locker room and shower. I've always felt that if she is comfortable in the locker room then no problem and like you say, the social part of being on a team often is in the talking before/after the game.

My general experience is my female teammates save the shower for at home and generally don't strip all the way down although there have been a few times when some of us have been asked to guard the door for a minute after the rest of the team left so someone could change. I just try to be a little more careful with staying more covered with the towel when there are women in the locker room in case it makes them more comfortable but really, everyone is busy changing and most eyes are focused on the task at hand anyway.

A few of the guys, usually the younger ones, have been a little uncomfortable and I've heard of a few wives or girlfriends being a little uncomfortable but I'd put them in the minority. My wife has never had a problem with a female hockey player in the same locker room as me. She knows the whole team is there for the same reason which is to play hockey.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I can't remember a lady skating on my team ever.

We have ladies that have played in my league and I believe that most use the ladies locker room at the rink.

Last year was fun because a guy on my team would play against his girlfriend. That would make for interesting moments from time to time because she was really skilled (All-American DIII player the year before skilled) and he would have to shut her down from time to time.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I've played on a few team with women on them, and they strip down to their sport bras and panties (but no further) and no one oggles, and we watch the door when they shower to make sure no one intrudes. Pretty simple.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Alright Shoeshine Boy, what rinks are you talking about? I know of only 3.

1) The Cooler in Alpharetta (has a brand new bar though they don't stay open late for beer league games. WTF?)
2) Ice Forum in Duluth (has a bar)
3) The Ice Complex in C-u-m-m-i-n-g (mods: this is a legit city in GA, not a dirty word)
4) Center Ice Arena in Sandy Springs
5) Marietta Ice Center in Marietta (formerly known as Parkaire)
guess I can't count or my post was so old that #4 wasn't open yet.......
6) Ice Forum in Kennesaw

I play in the AAHL which plays at 1, 3, 4 and 5.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I've only played in coed leagues; one has coed locker rooms, the other doesn't. I like the idea of the coed locker room because it promotes a inclusion in the team, and hockey is a team sport. As a goalie, I can definitely say that sometimes you don't quite feel part of the team when you're doing the whole goalie thing and everyone else is chatting on the bench. When I made the transition to goalie from skater, that's what shocked me the most. I really miss chatting on the bench between shifts... talking about the play, going over strategy, etc.

The only chance I get to talk to the team and feel really a part of it is in the locker room. I think that should be part of the experience for the whole team, not just the boys.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I've do one co-ed league and we all change in the same room. No naked guys/girls walking around, and if someone is uncomfortable they just go to the washroom for their base layers. But haven't seen anyone do that in a while.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I've played in a Co-ed league for 15+ seasons. Guys dress with guys and girls with girls. League's not competitive, so it's easy enough to share laughs with other teams.

As other's have said, it cuts down on the team comradery. But I think it makes it easier on the women subs. It's one thing to get undressed in front of friends and another to get undressed in front of strangers. For guys like me, I don't care, but for some, this can be very uncomfortable.

Though when we enter tournaments, we've had to share dressing rooms. Simple courtesy applies. Women shower first then guys. Though, I've heard stories about some women who don't give a **** and just shower with the guys. Man that could be awkward if some dude involuntarily gives her a... a salute.

Most rinks around my area now have a women's dressing room. Though usage is dependant on the person. Some girls change with the guys and some in the specified room. Played on a men's team with two girls for better part of ten years, and after a while, everybody got comfortable and nobody even blinked.

My philosophy is it's only awkward if you make it awkward. If you just go with the flow, have a few laughs, and act relatively mature and don't die giggling at the mention of the word pee-pee or tah-tah, things will work out better.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Always shared a ref room and locker room with the boys. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Most of them probably don't look when I'm changing but if they do I really don't care either. I usually play/ref wearing leggings and a long-sleeved T-shirt as my base layer and wear it into the rink anyway underneath my sweater and jeans, so it's not like I'm putting anything on display either.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
ive spared for a team that had 3 ladies on it and they just strip to their sports bras and undies and get dressed and leave. they usually hang out in th eparking lot after but the boys just wait till they leave to shower. ......i did however play for a team where a dude wore a bathing suit in the shower.....there was no ladies there just a dude.. .... in a bathing suit....in the shower.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I've had 2 girls on triple A teams growing up(there was this weird political pressure to allow them on those teams despite not being even close to the best girls from the area). Anyways, they changed in seperate rooms. If a seperate room wasn't available, they'd either get to the rink earlier than the rest of us and change. Nowadays, I play in a casual "league" if you wanna call it that. It's about half girls and a mix of all ages. They have their room, we have ours. Pretty straight forward.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
ive spared for a team that had 3 ladies on it and they just strip to their sports bras and undies and get dressed and leave. they usually hang out in th eparking lot after but the boys just wait till they leave to shower. ......i did however play for a team where a dude wore a bathing suit in the shower.....there was no ladies there just a dude.. .... in a bathing suit....in the shower.

Haha I played with someone like that and there was a guy in high school who did that too. Very strange.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
We all change in the same locker room, we don't have showers at the rink. I usually get down to my sports bra and under wear. The guys usually only strip down to their underwear. Once a guy got completely naked, he was next to me and I was sitting down. I would have preferred not to see his sweaty little dick but it wasn't a big deal.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Dad's pick up group that I used to play with a few years ago had a spare goalie and a spare women player or two over the years. The goalie is bit older than me (I think in her early 50s?) and the one player was a young adult (very early 20s - was playing hockey at a small college in the states and was back for a couple summers)

They got changed in the same dressing rooms. The one that showered waited until the end when everyone was gone or leaving - the others showered at home. At that arena the ref's room might have been available if you asked the rink rat, but having the standard 4 dressing rooms at that rink the other 2 dressing room would more than likely have been taken.

P.S.
regarding the thread title:
I don't think anyone I know calls them locker rooms. For hockey, everyone I've known has called them dressing rooms or (rarely) change rooms.
(as there are almost always no lockers in them - only exception I've run across is the smaller dressing rooms in the arena where I play Thursday nights - they contains the figure skating club's lockers; even then they still get called dressing rooms)

There weren't any girls playing on any of my teams or likely even my league when I was a kid way back in the mid 70s to early 80s (think girls were playing ringette back then) so playing hockey with women is a relatively new experience for me.

Last edited:

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
When I played in Austria, women in the same group/team usually changed and showered in the same locker room as men. To the best of my knowledge we were all there to play hockey and a random sex party/orgy never broke out...

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
One town rink that I used to play in actually made a rule that men and women had to have separate dressing rooms. The fairly reliable rumour was that a rink staff member hadn't appreciated going into a room to clean after he thought everyone had left, and encountering a couple in the act.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
The girl on our team changes in our locker room and most other teams in the league seem to do the same. A few go and use the ref locker rooms and empty locker rooms if they're around.

To be honest, I think it would be weirder for women not to change in the same room. The pre and post game banter is team building stuff and I would rather have a team mate who is comfortable around the team than someone we see on the bench once in awhile.

Honestly, we're adults, everyone has seen bits and pieces before. Who cares really?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad