Co-ed locker rooms

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009
For those that play on co-ed teams, is it customary that everyone changes in the same locker room?

I was filling in on another team in a house league the other night and they had two women on the team. After the game everyone went into the same locker room (the two women and all the rest of the guys) and the guys are changing out of equipment, ultimately totally naked with the two women sitting right there, and the women themselves ultimately removed their sports bras right in front of all the guys.

I'm no prude, but I don't know that I felt comfortable in that setting like that, so I was just wondering if that's pretty much the norm for those that have both sexes on the same team?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
No. Typically in a co-ed room the guys will turn around or go to the bathroom to change. Most women either change in the bathroom or just wear underwear under the jock and wear the sports bra home. Only once did I see a woman actually change out of her sports bra in front of the guys after a pickup game (and I've played probably hundreds of co-ed games both on teams and pickup).

Me personally I wear compression jock shorts to and from the rink so I don't have to worry about it. Just put the cup in before the game and take it out after.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
I played one summer in a friendly co-ed league. Each game had three change rooms. One for the guys on Team 1, one for the guys on Team 2, and a third for the girls on both teams to share. Seems like a great set-up if it's possible (friendly environment, extra room, few enough girls that they can all fit, etc.).

My current team played a game last week against a team that had one girl on it. I don't know what kind of etiquette they had, but she definitely got dressed in the same room as the guys.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
I've been in both situations. One co-ed team we all changed together but the girls never took off their sports bras and only a few guys got naked, but usually they'd cover up with a towel for the most part anyways.

Then I've been on co-ed teams where they used separate dressing rooms.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Depends on the rink. In Dallas, I changed in the room with the rest of my team (though I would either face the wall to change my bra or do it in a bathroom stall). In Missouri, the girls have their own locker room.

I haaaaate having a girls-only locker room. For one, it's tiny and there's not enough room for the 8-10 of us who can be stuffed in there at the same time (we're in the refs room, which is pretty typical for a girls locker room, and they say we can't have our own large locker room because they have too many "teams" to rotate through them on a game night). Second, it's impossible to kvetch or celebrate the game because you're in there with the team you just played. Third, you never learn your teammates' names because you never see them out of uniform or just chat.

Intra-team gossip can be fun, especially if you're pissed at ThatGuy on your own team. But on the whole, I'd much rather have co-ed locker rooms. We're all adults here.

MeltingPlastic

Jul 1, 2010
Outside Philly
most times i've played with girls they've gotten changed in other locker rooms. Only once or twice was a girl every changing with us and i don't remember her getting fully naked or anything but then again i wasn't staring at her.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Just last weekend during a pickup game I had to change with boys for the first time when there wasn't a spare dressing room. After the game, those who were taking showers would wrap towels around themselves as they undressed. Myself, I always shower when I get home, so I only go down to a t-shirt and underpants anyway. But really, I gave birth buck naked in front of my father-in-law twice - any modesty I had is long gone!

So naked people don't bother me. I think it's cool that it can not be a big deal to have coed dressing rooms. It reminds me of the coed locker room scenes on Battlestar Galactica. Perhaps in the future it will finally be a non-issue. We're all grown-ups.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
I have seen it both ways and it usually comes down whether there is an extra room for the girls or not. I don't see it as a big deal but I could see how some people would be uncomfortable.

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
We have a girl on our team and after a few seasons its almost like she is one of the guys. I dont think she goes into the bathrooms or showers though because they are prison style.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
In highschool the team was co-ed for one year, of course guys have no problem whipping it out no matter the setting, but most of the time when I've had women in the locker room, that team or other wise at drop ins and such, the women tend to go to the bathroom and change, or just wear sports bra under their gear. Who's to say two pairs of **** are a bad thing to have in the locker room especially after a win :laugh:

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I played one summer in a friendly co-ed league. Each game had three change rooms. One for the guys on Team 1, one for the guys on Team 2, and a third for the girls on both teams to share. Seems like a great set-up if it's possible (friendly environment, extra room, few enough girls that they can all fit, etc.).

that's not a great set-up at all. a good chunk of the fun of hockey is the atmosphere in the locker room. I've been dressing with the guys from the beginning (despite my username yes, I am female) and I wouldn't want it any other way. we're all adults so what's the problem? I'm not looking at them and don't get nekkid so I don't care if they're looking at me.
we have a new rink in town and the kids travel team has an NHL style locker room that the owner told the women they could use as a "female locker room". I tried it once or twice and hated it. ultimately I missed the "guy talk" in the locker room and trust me, my guys don't water it down at ALL! :laugh:
unlike one or two girls in the league I do draw the line at the showers though. mostly because they're gross but still.....

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Our rink has 5 dressing rooms for each rink. 4 for teams on both sides and the extra one on one side for women and the other for officials. During pick up and adult leagues I have seen both situations but it is up to the woman. They always have the opportunity to dress in the women's dressing room (same size as the others) if they want to. I figure if they choose the guys then they don't have an issue with what goes on in there so I have no issue. If they were forced to dress in there then I would probably feel differently.

Our high school and youth teams obviously have the girls dress in the women's dressing room. I have one girl on the high school team I coach. She comes in with us for stretching and when they leave to run she goes with them and then to her room to dress. I have everyone dressed 15 mins before the game and then she comes back for our white board stuff.

I've never seen a problem at our rink but we have a pretty well thought out facility and the city owns our rink so they are extra aware of issues like that.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
When I played summer hockey as a teenager there were usually 2-3 girls in the league. They were always on the same team since they'd usually sign up together, and wound up on my team for all but one season. They always got dressed together and would come into our dressing room when they were done. No big deal.

It wasn't like mens league where the old guys strip naked and prance around though... everyone at least kept something on, and nobody showered after the games.

mbowman

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto/Halifax

My current team played a game last week against a team that had one girl on it. I don't know what kind of etiquette they had, but she definitely got dressed in the same room as the guys.

this is how it worked in the co-ed league i played in. though there were girls occasionally who didnt use the girls change room, but again, we were teenagers, so nobody was getting naked and stuff

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
I play a fair bit of co-ed - league and drop in. The leagues did a female dressing room, where the women from both teams changed together. It was fine with us - most of the women who play around here all know each other.

For drop in, the women also change together, too. Not a big deal there, either. For the bonding part people stay after getting dressed, and chat and have a beer.

budster

Schoolyard Puck
I'm no prude, but I don't know that I felt comfortable in that setting like that

Yeah I don't think I would feel comfortable either--not because I'm shy. I grew up playing sports and showering, but every locker room I've ever been to has a separate one for the girls. It would definitely feel weird to share one.

We're all adults here.

We're all grown-ups.

I hear you, but if it were my wife I don't think I would appreciate her baring it all in front of a bunch of dudes. There may not be anything inherently wrong, but at the same time it's probably not necessary or appropriate.

kirsi

Nov 3, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I would never go in a co-ed locker room unless i was alone with my husband... we are adults but hey we should respect our spouses and stuff. anyhoo the boys smell a lot worse

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
I have girls on both my teams. Some are even pretty attractive, but we are all adults. Nobody oogles them and it's all pretty low key.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
If the woman is uncomfortable, then she can change her bra/underwear somewhere private like the bathroom stall (and if a guy is uncomfortable, he can put his jock on in there). It's pretty simple, and honestly, the moments of something being out in the open are very quick regardless of where it happens. None of the women in my rec league shower at the rink (seriously, do you guys know what grows in those shower stalls?), and I've never known one who did.

Being stuck in the girls locker room is just inherently isolating even when you like the other girls at the rink. Griping about idiots on both teams in a game can't replace the experience of hanging out and getting to know your teammates. And at least in my league, guys aren't going to stay and hang out after 10:30 p.m. Tuesday games, and I can't expect them to in times like that. Hell, we're nine games into a season and the other girl and I have no idea what half our teammates' names are.

Plus there are some really uncomfortable times when you're the only girl on either team and you're alone in there while your getting into or out of your gear.

PuckHogs29

Jul 6, 2010
NJ
I've changed with two women, one was a goalie that always came to open hockey on the weekends, she was from Germany and had no qualms changing, but she only went down to sports bra and underwear. The other was a girl that was on our team and she changed fully, into and out of hockey underwear. Neither one was really bothersome. I have no real shame so I never cared. The rink I play most of my games at only has one designated women's room for 4 rinks, and it's all the way at the end at the furthest rink. If I were a girl I'd be pretty ticked if I had to walk the length of the complex in skates and equipment, so I'd probably just say whatever and change in the assigned room for the team like they did.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Naked people don't bother me... apparently that's weird.

TheOtter

Oct 14, 2007
New Hampshire
We all change together, but the women usually duck into the bathroom to change their under bits. The guys just tend to change quickly where they are, but no one is in the habit of standing around naked, which may be one of the benefits of being on a co-ed team, if you ask me.

My wife hates it when there are separate rooms for the women. That's probably because of how attractive all of us guys are :laugh:, or maybe because she misses out on the banter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->