Prospect Info: Cliff Pu (2016, 69th) – '18-19: Traded to Carolina

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Cliff Pu - Sabres' Bet On Progress - SabresProspects.com - Monday, October 31

This week, Tanner Reese takes an in-depth look into Cliff Pu's hot start with the OHL's London Knights and what the Sabres may have seen when selecting him at the 2016 draft.

If on June 25th, 2016 a Sabres fan following the NHL Draft thought, “Cliff WHO?” when the Sabres selected Cliff Pu with the 69th overall pick, I wouldn’t blame them.
Pu was certainly not considered a can’t-miss prospect, and was ranked 75th on NHL Central Scouting’s final ranking for North American skaters.
If you hadn’t recognized the name/did a quick search for his OHL statistics to get a feel for why the Sabres wanted him, you’d have found that he scored a mere 31 points/63 games.
You’d also have seen that he reached another level to his game during the London Knights’ run to the Memorial Cup, scoring 13 points.
Pu scored 8 goals in those 18 games after only managing 12 goals in the entire regular season.

Rest Of The Article - http://www.sabresprospects.com/2016/10/cliff-pu-and-sabres-bet-on-progress.html?m=1

Ball1374

Jun 1, 2008
Nashville, TN
Is that good?

I think it's great, in the sense that he's doing this on a London team without Tkachuk, Marner, and Dvorak there anymore. Everything I've read by Bakes has mentioned that he's taken on a lot bigger role with those three gone, which is excellent for his development.

7 11 14

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I'm not saying steal but I'm way more encouraged by this guy than I was with Cornel and Karabacek in their post draft years, and they were freakin 2nd rounders!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think it's great, in the sense that he's doing this on a London team without Tkachuk, Marner, and Dvorak there anymore. Everything I've read by Bakes has mentioned that he's taken on a lot bigger role with those three gone, which is excellent for his development.

He's leading the Knights in scoring. So, no matter how you slice it, that's a good thing.

No he just needs to keep it up for the rest of the season. But, he does appear to be taking advantage of the opportunity that he has been given this year in London and that is nothing but a good thing.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
He has looked good but he is also on a very good team. His usual line mates are Max Jones and Janne Kuokkenen (sp?) so it is a powerhouse line. I wish he would score more on the chances he gets--which are a lot--but a steal in third round.

jrb2590

Mar 15, 2014
Cliff Pu gets the empty-netter plus two assists as London downs Sudbury 6-4. Pu: 13gp 10-14-24, five-game goal streak, 11-game point streak

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Two assists through 2 periods. Two very good set ups, and could easily have had a goal or another assist. While his production and play is super encouraging, it should be noted that many believe the general quality of play in the OHL has decreased. Most likely due to an unusual number of grads to pro - Marner, Strome, Tkachuk, Dal Colle, Dvorak, Nylander, MacInnis,Chychrun, Fischer, Konecny, Zacha, Crouse to name a few.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Currently 6th in OHL scoring with 27 pts in 14 games and the guys ahead of him have all played more games. So refreshing to be able to track a few good junior players again.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
He looks really good so far... wondering if those that watch him more will be able to tell, will he adjust to wing in the NHL? I understand it's easier going center to wing than vice versa, but just curious as to how his skill set will translate

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Wonder if he has a chance at cracking team Canada for the WJCs. They've got a lot of forward slots to fill compared to their summer camp (bunch of guys in the NHL), and he's lighting it up this season.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Last year in 63 games: 12 goals, 19 assists, 31 points
This year in 16 games: 12 goals, 18 assists, 30 points

Yeah, thats good progress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad