Prospect Info: Cliff Pu (2016, 69th) – '18-19: Traded to Carolina

jrb2590

Mar 15, 2014
Wow -- this guy can fly watching that highlight package. LOVE the name too! P-U PU!

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Saw him in Erie a couple of times. Quite a motor on him. Hustles all the time. He really picked up his game during the playoffs. I expect him to really get some big-time first line minutes in London next year.
Nope I'm with you. I love this pick. I think it was an absolute steal.
These sum it up for me. His motor is exactly what stood out to me as well. He was just so noticeable, almost always in a good way, in the games I watched. I didn't think he'd be around this late.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I love this pick. Next year with Marner and Dvorak and maybe even Tkachuk he's going to get a chance to show what he can do offensively.

Our first Asian draft pick since Tsujimoto? :sarcasm:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
RLR ranked Pu at #66, praising his skating and two-way game, while adding he needs to work on strength and shot:
Was unable to compile numbers stuck on third line of a stacked Memorial Cup team, but was thrust into a more prominent role in the playoffs and stepped up with eight goals (including two game winners) to provide London's most consistent secondary offense. Has outstanding skating ability with a smooth, fluid stride, good balance, and excellent acceleration. Shows fine instincts at both ends of the ice and started playing with more confidence in second half. Loves an up-tempo game with speed and open ice. Excels when he sees an opening with space to exploit. Soft hands -- gives and receives passes smoothly. Handles the puck cleanly and makes plays at top gear. Pass-first player who needs to work on his shot. Natural center, but played wing out of necessity and handled it well. Needs to be stronger in puck battles. Does stellar work on the PK and in general plays a strong two-way game.

Projection: Strong two-way third line center for top-tier club.
Style compares to: Chris Tierney

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
This is a fantastic pick for Buffalo! He should have went in the second round. He is that good.

Considering that Cliff was ranked #25 in THN's Draft Preview(and #34 by ISS), the fact that he dropped that far is more noteworthy than Jakob Chychrun going into the middle part of Round 1(which was expected to happen).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Just got around to watching his post-draft scrum. I like this kid. And he seems like very good value for where we picked him. Hope he pans out.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Watching the highlights. The way he skates and dekes, his slick way of getting out of tight spots with the puck on his stick, and wearing #63, it's kind of hard not to see a bigger, righthanded Tyler Ennis. If he turns in to anything close to that, I'm so happy. Really like this pick.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think this has the potential to be a Dvorák type pick, once London loses a few guys he's going to have a major jump in production, and he already plays a good 2 way game. I remember watching him and thinking he has big time talent.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
He stinks.

Lol sorry to say but you know nothing about him do you. I can tell you Pu is going to be one helluva player. He was the Knights 2nd line centre in the playoffs on the memorial cup winning London Knights team and played outstanding and scored 8 playoff goals, outstanding hands, great wrist shot, vision and competitiveness, in a few years you will be proven wrong bro

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lol sorry to say but you know nothing about him do you. I can tell you Pu is going to be one helluva player. He was the Knights 2nd line centre in the playoffs on the memorial cup winning London Knights team and played outstanding and scored 8 playoff goals, outstanding hands, great wrist shot, vision and competitiveness, in a few years you will be proven wrong bro

I think you missed the attempt at humor.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Impressed with the raw tools he has -- you can't teach speed, obviously. Really looking forward to see what he does with the opportunities in London. Clearly a new fan favorite.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
True or false:

Since the pick, every time I read the name I do the Jackeè from Ladybugs, where they paint butterflies on the ball and Choo is dribbling through everyone as she screams CHU! CHU! CHU!!

?????

My mannn

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
London knights season ticket holder.
Was hoping tbe Habs would take a shot but oh well.
Kid really progressed thru the year.
Part way thru he was given 2nd pair PK duties by Hunter( with Jones) and his game started taking off with the responsibility. They were a great pair killing off PPs and often creating there own chances. His confidence grew with the challenge and so did his game.
He was a bit snake bit mid season creating lots of chances but not burying them. It turned around for him thou.
Obviously can fly but he competes, drives the blue ice, is a good forechecker, can trail a play as as drive it well and really knows when to hit that high gear.
Shot needs work as does D zone coverage but ya got a good one.
Great personality and love for the game. A bit of a clown in the room but in a good way.

The Puuuuuuuu chants were plenty at Bud Gardens

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
This was TM's first draft I liked.

Obviously I'm pro Echart, but those were no brainers.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don't know how you would dislike last years draft even with just how Guhle looked in camp. Then throw in the leaps forward that Borgen and Estephan took.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
True or false:

Since the pick, every time I read the name I do the Jackeè from Ladybugs, where they paint butterflies on the ball and Choo is dribbling through everyone as she screams CHU! CHU! CHU!!

?????

My mannn

Lmao, are you me?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The Knights signed Janne Kuokannen (CAR 2nd rounder), and there's a good chance Roslovic comes over as well (signed today by Winnipeg).

It appears likely that Pu will retain his role as 2C.

With that said, I doubt the 1st line will eat up as many minutes as that Tkachuk-Dvorak-Marner line did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad