Prospect Info: Cliff Pu (2016, 69th) – '18-19: Traded to Carolina

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The Knights signed Janne Kuokannen (CAR 2nd rounder), and there's a good chance Roslovic comes over as well (signed today by Winnipeg).

It appears likely that Pu will retain his role as 2C.

I think most people see would see Pu as a #2 regardless.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
London's training camp closed today, with Pu tallying a goal in the intra-squad scrimmage. Knights have a home-and-home with Sarnia this weekend to start their exhibition schedule.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Pu's first game back since being returned to London tonight. Scored in the first, capitalizing on a turnover, and nearly added another in the second, as he was hooked down driving far post on a 2v1 as the pass came. He did add an assist as that PP expired, moving the puck to Mete at the point for a wrister goal through traffic. 2-1 LDN over SSM at 2nd INT, as the 3rd begins now.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@GoLondonKnights - GOAL!!! PUUUUU!! @cliffp_28 buries it to make it 1-0 Knights! Welcome back to the Bud!

@SabresProspects - Cliff Pu connects for his first goal of the year to give London a 1-0 lead on Sault Ste. Marie.

Cliff Pu has a goal and an assist (LaxSabre - and a own goal) as London begins OT tied 2-2 with Soo. Soo 2nd goal went off Pu's stick.

@GoLondonKnights - The Knights fall to the Hounds in a shootout- final score 3-2. (LaxSabre - Pu didn't shoot in the shootout.)

LaxSabre - Next Game - at Barrie Colts - Saturday, October 1 - 7:30 pm ET.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
SSM tied it up early into the third, then Pu rang a wrister off the crossbar from the high slot. He looked good in this game, with Hunter bumping him up at the end of regulation in search for a winner. In OT, he lost three of his draws, on an otherwise strong night at 20/29 overall, so his shifts were more chasing/defensive there. He didn't shoot in the shootout either, as SSM went on to win that.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@Sabres Prospects -

Cliff Pu scored his second goal of the year and added an assist as London got past Peterborough 6-3. Cliff Pu scored the Knights' first goal of the game for the second-straight Friday, taking a pass and quickly burying a forehand to the far side with 5:42 remaining in opening frame to cut the Petes' lead to 2-1.

Later on, Cliff Pu would collect a secondary helper on a power play tally as the Knights pulled away.
While Cliff Pu was posting his second multi-point game of the year, he was just as impressive at the faceoff circle with a dominating 18 wins on 22 draws.

Sabres Prospects Recap - Friday, October 7 - http://www.sabresprospects.com/2016/10/107-recap-pu-osmanski-spark-victories.html

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Another goal + 2 assists for Pu to give him 3 + 4 in just 4 games played after he scored under 0.5PPG last year. Amazing what a bigger role can do. I know its very early but the 2 games I saw this year he has been the best player on the ice. Should explode offensively this year, looking forward to it!

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Another goal + 2 assists for Pu to give him 3 + 4 in just 4 games played after he scored under 0.5PPG last year. Amazing what a bigger role can do. I know its very early but the 2 games I saw this year he has been the best player on the ice. Should explode offensively this year, looking forward to it!
That's awesome to hear. There wasn't a whole lot of movement happening in this thread until recently, so I was starting to wonder.

Does he seem like a solid #2 C, or would that be a pretty loose guess at this point?

Aside from the obvious Freudian sarcasm, I'm actually being serious :laugh: Is he a top 6 or bust kinda player, or can he be effective throughout the lineup?

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
That's awesome to hear. There wasn't a whole lot of movement happening in this thread until recently, so I was starting to wonder.

Does he seem like a solid #2 C, or would that be a pretty loose guess at this point?

Aside from the obvious Freudian sarcasm, I'm actually being serious :laugh: Is he a top 6 or bust kinda player, or can he be effective throughout the lineup?

2C is a very optimistic projection for him still haha but he has that upside. He has the amazing speed and good offensive tools that kill in todays NHL but he is also a great faceoff/defensive/PK guy from what I've seen that could turn him into solid bottom-6 option.

Still a long ways off obviously but I'm loving his game and progression.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
2C is a very optimistic projection for him still haha but he has that upside. He has the amazing speed and good offensive tools that kill in todays NHL but he is also a great faceoff/defensive/PK guy from what I've seen that could turn him into solid bottom-6 option.

Still a long ways off obviously but I'm loving his game and progression.

I've never seen much except from highlights here and there, but the bolded could make for a lethal combo. Good defensively with great hands and speed? More SH goals never hurt a team before :)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -
Cliff Pu adds his third goal of the year to an earlier assist. Pu has multiple points in three of his four games. LDN-WSR tied 3-3 in 2nd.
Pu gets another assist - that's the first three-point game of his OHL career. LaxSabre - London loses to Windsor 5-4 in overtime.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Pu's overall offensive game has really improved. Last year, it was all about creating off the rush for him (and Jones). Now, he he's taken the primary offensive role and is a more dangerous player in all situations (more sustained zone time, cycling, etc).

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think this has the potential to be a Dvorák type pick, once London loses a few guys he's going to have a major jump in production, and he already plays a good 2 way game. I remember watching him and thinking he has big time talent.

Sure looks like it

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Cliff Pu has his fifth goal of the season as London trails Kitchener 4-3 in 3rd.
Goal #5 in Game #7. It took Pu twenty-three games to get there a season ago.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Pu and the Knights clobbered the Bulldogs 7to 2. This was the third game in less than three days for Hamilton and playing a rested London team it showed.Pu looked good. Good but not blazing speed, good but not great size. terrific on draws, terrific passer, good stickhanlder with excellent vision. Excellent on pk. Uses his teammates well and does not get pushed around. Should be a good nhler.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Cliff Pu up to 17 points in 10 games - not sure we've had a draft +1 season for a draft choice at a 1.7 PPG clip.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
He celebrates similar to Eichel. Is there any correlation between a player's celebratio and how good they become? Please say yes!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad