Confirmed with Link: Clearly Cleary's Contract Continually Creates Creative Controversy

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
He was literally a finalist for the Jack Adams award LAST YEAR. He lost half his ****ing team and he coached them into the playoffs. For about a week, Joakim Andersson was his #1C.

:help:

And he spent the first half of the season with his thumb up his ass, playing worthless veterans simply because they had seniority on younger, much better players. In the end, he was effectively forced by injuries to use the kids. And he's signaled that he has no intention of sticking with it.

So what? As far as I'm concerned, the reason the Wings were an 8th seed is due to Babcocks early season mistakes.

Absolutely. His decision to blend up four very successful lines after game 76 did not help either, as the Wings fumbled about for the remainder of the season. He refused to return to the old lines even when the Wings were down 3-1 against Boston and had gotten absolutely dominated the past three games.

No, the Wings were an 8th seed because they lost 421 man games to injury, with over 150 of those lost to key players.

Do they win more games if Gustav Nyquist starts the year in Detroit?
Of course they do.

However, they'd have won even more games than that if Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, and Jonathan Ericsson didn't go down for extended periods of time.

I'm sorry but by looking at the way the season played out last year, it is simply ridiculous to be calling for Babcock's job.

Does it matter if Nyquist starts the year? Yep. Does it matter if Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Samuelsson get benched early? Yep. Does it help if Dan Cleary isn't being utilized as if he's a superstar? Yep. Does it help if ice time is assigned by merit? Yep. Does it help if four excellent forward lines don't get broken up for no reason at season's end? Yep.

Babcock's absolutely to blame for the fact that the Wings didn't end up with a higher seed.

Ohh i did. I have a free six hour trial of the full game. I have no intention of buying it.

Oh, OK.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
But he is back and we have to live with him in that reality. In my mind, I want to see if he can rebound his knees back. Not to whine whine and whine and throw him under the bus yapping all the time how horrible he has been. First I want to see the training camp, practise games and real games if he is still horrible. If he is, then It will be time to move on.

Why on earth would you want him to rebound? So that we can go through this process yet again next year when Cleary is nearly 37 and create the kind of logjam we have with our defense prospects then with our forward prospects?

And lets be clear about what "rebounding" means here. Cleary is almost 36. And he's not just being held back by his knees - he doesn't have great hockey IQ either. There's no great hockey mind sitting on Cleary's shoulders, picking up where his deteriorating body leaves off. He's not going to become a 30-40 point player again. Rebounding at this point would be the equivalent of a 25 point season. And that is absolutely nowhere near the type of player we need blocking our young players from getting NHL time.

Really, thats what this Cleary saga boils down to. Even if he rebounds relatively speaking, he'll be a problem. This is a lose-lose situation.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why on earth would you want him to rebound? So that we can go through this process yet again next year when Cleary is nearly 37 and create the kind of logjam we have with our defense prospects then with our forward prospects?

And lets be clear about what "rebounding" means here. Cleary is almost 36. And he's not just being held back by his knees - he doesn't have great hockey IQ either. There's no great hockey mind sitting on Cleary's shoulders, picking up where his deteriorating body leaves off. He's not going to become a 30-40 point player again. Rebounding at this point would be the equivalent of a 25 point season. And that is absolutely nowhere near the type of player we need blocking our young players from getting NHL time.

Really, thats what this Cleary saga boils down to. Even if he rebounds relatively speaking, he'll be a problem. This is a lose-lose situation.

Absolutely. Harsh truth.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
From Ansar Khan:

2014-15 outlook: General manager Ken Holland kept a promise he made to Cleary during last year's training camp by re-signing him, a move met with overwhelming disapproval by the fan base. But Holland and coach Mike Babcock are big supporters of Cleary. They like his versatility – he can play in the top six or the bottom six, he can play the net-front role on the power play and kill penalties. However, he struggled from start to finish last season, despite getting opportunities to play on the top line with Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg early on. How much of that can be attributed to the knee issue that ended his season in early March? Or does he have too much wear and tear on his body to be effective? The Red Wings are banking on a healthy Cleary being able to bounce back after an aggressive off-season training and rehab program.

Exactly what universe are these two living in? Cleary cannot play effectively anywhere, and he has not been a viable top-six player since the 2011-2012 season. He is absolutely putrid on the power play, and he isn't much better on the penalty kill. And in what way are the Wings "banking on" Cleary having a better season? Why do they feel that the team so badly needs a guy who has been terrible two seasons running, and hasn't had a healthy season since 2010-2011?

This obsession the two of them have with Cleary is frightening. It's like they somehow believe that his play in the 2013 season was anywhere near satisfactory.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
If the trend continues Dan Cleary will have 2 goals, 3 assists and will be -17 in something like 55 games played this year. And can play in the top 6. Verstaile.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
From Ansar Khan:

Exactly what universe are these two living in? Cleary cannot play effectively anywhere, and he has not been a viable top-six player since the 2011-2012 season. He is absolutely putrid on the power play, and he isn't much better on the penalty kill. And in what way are the Wings "banking on" Cleary having a better season? Why do they feel that the team so badly needs a guy who has been terrible two seasons running, and hasn't had a healthy season since 2010-2011?

This obsession the two of them have with Cleary is frightening. It's like they somehow believe that his play in the 2013 season was anywhere near satisfactory.

You can't look at this signing from a rational perspective. It won't get you anywhere.

Just sit back and hope Cleary fails as quickly as possible so that he is out of the lineup.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
You can't look at this signing from a rational perspective. It won't get you anywhere.

Just sit back and hope Cleary fails as quickly as possible so that he is out of the lineup.

Exactly, lets just hope Babcock is true to his word and the young guns beat him out in camp.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I've never seen anything like it in all my years as a Detroit sports fan.

The idea that he can play top 6 and bottom 6, pp and pk is a joke and IMO is basically trying to pretend like all of us our idiots. Seriously who are they trying to fool? Cleary can't even play the 12th forward role effectively. Stop acting like it's 2010.

I would literally give some of my own money to get rid of Dan Cleary. That's how much discomfort he brings me.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Exactly, lets just hope Babcock is true to his word and the young guns beat him out in camp.

Well that wont happen. His spot is guaranteed until it becomes impossible for Babcock to justify his spot in the lineup.

That's what tie goes to the vet means.

Cleary will play a minimum of ten games in the NHL this season. Assuming he doesn't suffer a season ending injury.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I just hope you guys are ready to be trolled hard when Dan Cleary scores the first goal of the season for the Red Wings

f1seb

Apr 7, 2007
I just hope you guys are ready to be trolled hard when Dan Cleary scores the first goal of the season for the Red Wings

If he scores a goal on opening night for the Wings. That will guarantee him next 20 starts no matter what. Also major PP time on both units

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Competition for the few forward positions available will be intense, but Cleary says he’s prepared to fight.

“You go and do your thing,†he said. “Obviously, there’s a lot of players that are going to play, that’s always how it is every year, but certainly there’s completion. The way it’s been around here is whoever is playing the best will play, that’s it. No politics.

Always good for a laugh. At least the 3 of them are all delusional.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=730497&navid=M_DL|DET|home

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
They are saying the same thing they have said for the last two years. Not sure why anyone would expect their comments to change.

"Oh yeah, it's totally politics. I get playing time because I am buds with the coach and GM despite being a horrible hockey player."

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
They are saying the same thing they have said for the last two years. Not sure why anyone would expect their comments to change.

"Oh yeah, it's totally politics. I get playing time because I am buds with the coach and GM despite being a horrible hockey player."

I could live with that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I have never seen until recently them outright say that politics aren't involved in roster decisions.

But apparently now they feel the heat and are trying to save face and lie.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No player, coach, or GM is going to say they are purposefully playing politics in a way which makes the team worse. I hope you guys don't actually expect that.

I think not expecting men to live up to their word because its who they're or what they have done in the past is unfortunately very sad.

they will be judged by their actions not just their words

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I think not expecting men to live up to their word because its who they're or what they have done in the past is unfortunately very sad.

they will be judged by their actions not just their words

That isn't the issue in question. The issue is getting up in arms every time a player or coach talks out of their behind. It's nothing new, doesn't really matter, but it seems to be an issue for a lot of people.

My issue is with the actions. I don't give a damn about what they say when they aren't giving me anything on the ice.

I have never seen until recently them outright say that politics aren't involved in roster decisions.

But apparently now they feel the heat and are trying to save face and lie.

Cleary has been a hot topic in the media since he was re-signed, and he knows it. I don't think it is surprising the guy is going to address his worth on the team at some point. Also you make it seem like a collaborative effort to pull the wool over everyone's eyes.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
That isn't the issue in question. The issue is getting up in arms every time a player or coach talks out of their behind. It's nothing new, doesn't really matter, but it seems to be an issue for a lot of people.

My issue is with the actions. I don't give a damn about what they say when they aren't giving me anything on the ice.

I like you care more about the actions

though i do understand were people are coming from when their actions dont mirror their words, their actions dont result in success and yet they repeat the same old words(and likely actions).

i guess at some point you would hope something changes

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad