Confirmed with Link: Clearly Cleary's Contract Continually Creates Creative Controversy

Actual Thought*

Keyword: IF

The guy hasn't been healthy in over two + years, and when he is healthy, he has a hard time producing the points he did that warranted his contract for the past few years and now this year. Its a desperate move if things don't go well early with the kids. Yes, Ken Holland may have done an okay thing on paper, securing a veteran, but there were other players his age or few years younger, capable of providing more. His contract is brutal and that's why some dislike the move made by Ken Holland...
It seems anything short of castrating Cleary and putting him out to pasture would be upsetting. I think when Cleary was screaming in pain while receiving treatment trying to get into the lineup the young kids were in the next room thinking "That guy really wants my job and will endure anything to keep it from me".

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Is this guy serious? Collected data? That's ********. They made a handshake agreement and Holland remained loyal. That's the only reason Cleary is back.

Why do some people insist on always defending? Can't anything ever be wrong in your world? Not everything is perfect in the real world.

And even if for some DA reason you want to believe that they ran tests and Cleary is ready to go, you do realize we're talking about a player who will be 36 throughout the majority of the season, yeah? The last time he was "healthy" he was still in the very backend of the typical prime years. And it's not like we're talking about a player who gets by with skill and high IQ/vision. He's a hard working, blue collar player. So when you can move like you could during your prime, what do you think is going to happen?

Seriously why are we even discussing this? This whole Cleary experience has been the most frustrating player experience that I've ever been through as a Detroit's sports fan. No team even wanted him after 12-13. The Philly 3 year deal was a PTO according to Philly GM. Yet he somehow turned that into a 2 year deal with Detroit. What kind of player gets a 2 year deal after a horrendous stretch of hockey?

Last edited by a moderator:

Actual Thought*

Don't believe anything Babcock says. Even if healthy, there are much much much more talented and skilled players that should play instead.
If you don't believe anything that comes out of the franchise you are left only with baseless conjecture. You don't have to believe everything they say but you are ignoring a major source of information if you dismiss everything thing they say. Babs measures his words well. There is a reason he pointed out that they did tests. It is because they did. I think the brass believes Cleary brings something to the table that no kid can.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
It seems anything short of castrating Cleary and putting him out to pasture would be upsetting. I think when Cleary was screaming in pain while receiving treatment trying to get into the lineup the young kids were in the next room thinking "That guy really wants my job and will endure anything to keep it from me".

I think we have found our first user who absolutely adores Daniel Cleary.. Yes you are damn straight on anything short of castrating him. He is a useless player, siphoning minutes from guys such as Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Frk, AA...list goes on. Babcocks obsession with Daniel Cleary may have you brainwashed, I don't know, but what I do know, is that, there is noooooo freaking way you can actually sit here and continue to argue that Dan Cleary will be anything but a disappointment this year, based on "DATA" from the past two seasons. Run tests? Really, that is your basis for assuming one is going to break out of their slump and all of a sudden be a decent player again? Man, I wish that sample size was good for any argument, let alone Daniel Cleary's case...

If, "I was a young a buck on that team, and I heard him screaming in pain from MULTIPLE injuries, I think my optimism might be better, considering Daniel Cleary gets more minutes than me, even when I am producing more."

Sorry, but Dan Cleary hasn't given this team much of anything since 2011 and im 99.9% sure, nothing will change this year.

Last edited:

Actual Thought*

I think we have found our first user who absolutely adores Daniel Cleary..

If, "I was a young a buck on that team, and I heard him screaming in pain from MULTIPLE injuries, I think my optimism might be better, considering Daniel Cleary gets more minutes than me, even when I am producing more."

Sorry, but Dan Cleary hasn't given this team much of anything since 2011.
It isn't that I adore Cleary. It is that a locker room full of young "Talent" with no veteran role player presence gets you Edmonton. I am not all excited about the Cleary signing but I am not calling for heads to roll over it. He will play a few games and provide some leadership for our kids. No big deal.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If you don't believe anything that comes out of the franchise you are left only with baseless conjecture. You don't have to believe everything they say but you are ignoring a major source of information if you dismiss everything thing they say. Babs measures his words well. There is a reason he pointed out that they did tests. It is because they did. I think the brass believes Cleary brings something to the table that no kid can.

Babs is an inarticulate fool with very little command over the English language.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It isn't that I adore Cleary. It is that a locker room full of young "Talent" with no veteran role player presence gets you Edmonton. I am not all excited about the Cleary signing but I am not calling for heads to roll over it. He will play a few games and provide some leadership for our kids. No big deal.

So what do you consider Pav, Z, Franzen, Alfie and Kronwall? There are plenty of good, professional role models in that room.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Wings aren't bringing back Yzerman for one more year. Cleary's ceiling was never that high, even before the only thing keeping his body together was hopes and dreams.

The risk vs. reward on bringing Cleary back is not worth it. You would think a Stanley Cup winning GM and coach would get that.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

Are those guys fighting for roster spots?

We're fine on the veteran talents. And Clearys not fighting for his spot, he has it locked up just like he did for 52 horrible games last year. If we brought him back at 500k and it actually was best player played I wouldnt be as upset but under these circumstances its horrible.

And you seem to magically think he's healhty and will stay healthy? And whats worse is he tries to play through it and he plays even worse but stays in the lineup. They ran test on Weiss and Helm and look how that turned out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's almost 35. Even if his knees are better what's he going to bring? More than Jurco or others? No, absolutely not.

He was a bottom 6 guy to begin with. In attempts to prop him up people make him out to be some sort of folk hero.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Are those guys fighting for roster spots?

First of all, what? Second of all, you should be ashamed of your Edmonton comparison. Detroit is still a veteran team. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Ericsson, and hopefully Alfie are all in that lockerroom. Helm, Abdelkader, and Miller are all veterans. Weiss is a guy who wore an "A" in Florida.

Without Cleary:

Helm-Datsyuk-Zetterberg
Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Glendening-Abdelkader
Andersson

And that's not even including Alfie who could still very well end up in the mix.

Now tell me where we need leadership that only Cleary can provide? Tell me where in that lineup Cleary should even be competing for a spot?

Even if he's just competing for 4th line duty, he's fighting for spots against who? Miller, Abdelkader, Glendening, and Andersson?

Miller and Abdelkader are blue collar veterans now. Glendening is a player that Babcock has called the most competitive player he has ever coached not named Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Crosby, Toews, or Bergeron.

So where the heck is this lack of leadership you keep talking about?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
He's almost 35. Even if his knees are better what's he going to bring? More than Jurco or others? No, absolutely not.

He was a bottom 6 guy to begin with. In attempts to prop him up people make him out to be some sort of folk hero.

He's almost 36 I thought.

Actual Thought*

We're fine on the veteran talents. And Clearys not fighting for his spot, he has it locked up just like he did for 52 horrible games last year. If we brought him back at 500k and it actually was best player played I wouldnt be as upset but under these circumstances its horrible.

And you seem to magically think he's healhty and will stay healthy? And whats worse is he tries to play through it and he plays even worse but stays in the lineup. They ran test on Weiss and Helm and look how that turned out.

These days it apparently takes magic for anyone to stay healthy. That being the case, yes I am hoping for magic.:nod:
I am hopeful that they use Cleary sparingly and he is healthy enough to perform his role when he plays. I actually don't mind this signing as much as I did Tootoo. At least when he his healthy Cleary can log a lot of different types of minutes. When healthy you can plug him in anywhere. Tootoo was useless for pretty much any role.
The point being that I don't think they get it right every time but they get it right most of the time. I am willing to wait and see how the season plays out.

Actual Thought*

That's awesome! You're right guys. My bad. I was thinking of Daniel Boone. He apparently was a man. A real man. You guys are talking about Daniel Cleary the hockey player right? Sorry. Got my "Daniels" mixed up. :laugh:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
These days it apparently takes magic for anyone to stay healthy. That being the case, yes I am hoping for magic.:nod:
I am hopeful that they use Cleary sparingly and he is healthy enough to perform his role when he plays. I actually don't mind this signing as much as I did Tootoo. At least when he his healthy Cleary can log a lot of different types of minutes. When healthy you can plug him in anywhere. Tootoo was useless for pretty much any role.
The point being that I don't think they get it right every time but they get it right most of the time. I am willing to wait and see how the season plays out.

What is his role? Play poorly? Move slowly? Turn the puck over? Fall down a lot? Stupid penalties?

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I am hopeful that they use Cleary sparingly and he is healthy enough to perform his role when he plays. I actually don't mind this signing as much as I did Tootoo. At least when he his healthy Cleary can log a lot of different types of minutes. When healthy you can plug him in anywhere..

When was the last time this was the case? There is nothing Dan Cleary does that someone else on this team can't do better.

Management's refusal to recognize this will inevitably cost us points over the course of an 82 game season, following a season in which we barely limped into the playoffs. We should be playing our best players in October, not once we've exhausted all of our over-the-hill veteran options.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
A recurring theme that I keep seeing in these pro-Cleary posts is that it's all about "getting healthy," as if that means he'll return to the player he was 3-4 years ago. Do people not realize that getting healthy at nearly 36 years of age does not also involve turning back the biological clock? The difference between a "healthy" 36 year old Cleary and an unhealthy one is likely the difference between a 25 point player and a 10 point scrub. And yet people are talking about it as though the difference is between a 40 point player and a scrub.

TL; DR: Cleary doesn't just need to "get healthy," he also needs a time machine.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
A recurring theme that I keep seeing in these pro-Cleary posts is that it's all about "getting healthy," as if that means he'll return to the player he was 3-4 years ago. Do people not realize that getting healthy at nearly 36 years of age does not also involve turning back the biological clock? The difference between a "healthy" 36 year old Cleary and an unhealthy one is likely the difference between a 25 point player and a 10 point scrub. And yet people are talking about it as though the difference is between a 40 point player and a scrub.

TL; DR: Cleary doesn't just need to "get healthy," he also needs a time machine.

"His leadership is too important."

Vomit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad