Confirmed with Link: Clearly Cleary's Contract Continually Creates Creative Controversy

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Yeah I would like to see those picture myself... :laugh: ;)

I remember a particular play that Babcock ran off a neutral-zone faceoff during the Winter Classic. This play depended on a Red Wing gaining separation while the opponent's attention was elsewhere. Guess who Babcock chose as the streaker? Yep, his favorite player... the slowest guy on the team.

Cleary didn't make it to the goal in time to get an optimal scoring chance. The Leafs picked him up while he was driving to the net. Everyone else on the ice, the defensemen included, could have gotten there with plenty of time. But no... it had to be Cleary.

I don't get it either.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I remember a particular play that Babcock ran off a neutral-zone faceoff during the Winter Classic. This play depended on a Red Wing gaining separation while the opponent's attention was elsewhere. Guess who Babcock chose as the streaker? Yep, his favorite player... the slowest guy on the team.

Cleary didn't make it to the goal in time to get an optimal scoring chance. The Leafs picked him up while he was driving to the net. Everyone else on the ice, the defensemen included, could have gotten there with plenty of time. But no... it had to be Cleary.

I don't get it either.

Yeah it's like Babs doesnt remember that Cleary just dont have the speed anymore.

Cleary were once used as a energic forechecker. I remember I admired his ability to give 100% and be "all over the place". It's like Holland and Babcock still thinks he is that guy, even though it so OBVIOUS to each and everyone with eyes, that Cleary can barely skate these days, I thought he tripped over himself in every second shift he had. Whatever spark that guy had is gone and lost forever, probably with the knee problems he have had.

It's incredible that Cleary still is a pro hockeyplayer. I wouldnt want him on my fav Swe team that is a second tier in SWEDEN. Let alone on my fav NHL team.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Can we let this thread slide off our front page? I wouldn't mind pretending Cleary is not on the team for a little while.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
This is a hoot. Let's go over it:

Heck, the Cleary signing has been panned by just everybody in the hockey world, but what we're all missing is that this isn't so much about Cleary; it's about a coach who would rather have an established veteran on his roster over an untested, inexperienced youngster.

And that's a good thing? That policy almost cost the Wings the playoffs last season. Its reversal SAVED the season. Babcock has noted this. So what's the deal?

Regardless of the sport, a veteran always has the upper hand in a coach's mind, especially a veteran whom the coach is comfortable with. It comes down to trust and, on a subconscious level, job security.

Uh, no. There are plenty of coaches who will play effective youngsters over ineffective veterans

"Dan Cleary helped us be very good for a long period of time," Babcock told reporters Wednesday at Joe Louis Arena. "He played really well for us. What we try and do is not confuse the player with the person.

"We love the person, and the player last year couldn't help us. But he's trained so hard, and obviously we monitor this
"He's done everything he can possibly do. We've had the testing done (on his knee). We didn't just fall off a turnip truck. We had all that done before we made any decisions, and we think he can help our program."

Exactly when was the last time Cleary "helped us"? When was the last time he was an impact player? He's been garbage for two seasons, and his knee has been a major issue for four of the past five. How much more evidence do you need that he's done?

"I used to say every year, 'Tie goes to the veteran. You've got to beat the guy out here in camp,'" Babcock said. "Now, the best player is playing, period. So if you're 22, it doesn't make any difference. We're in that stage of our development."

That sounds good, but then...

Before you get all excited about Babcock's comment, he was referring to the Wings' corps of promising young defensemen, who'll be given every opportunity to make the team.

Um, OK. Apparently it doesn't apply to forwards, then, so I guess Jurco will need to win his spot not once, but twice, and this purely because Dan Cleary might be able to skate again.

The Wings might be committed to a youth movement -- especially on the back end -- but just like Linus needed his security blanket, coaches need to feel secure too. It's in their DNA.

Cleary provides Babcock with that sense of security. Only time will tell if it's real or false.

Is this writer on crack? Time already HAS shown, unequivocally, that it is FALSE.

It's assumed that Wings coach Mike Babcock is infatuated with Cleary. The perception is that Babcock sees something in the aging, veteran forward that the untrained eye cannot grasp -- character.

I get the feeling this article was meant purely to defend Babcock. If so, the writer is a moron.

****. This pisses me off so badly.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Which is why this needs to be his last season.

He was literally a finalist for the Jack Adams award LAST YEAR. He lost half his ****ing team and he coached them into the playoffs. For about a week, Joakim Andersson was his #1C.

:help:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
He was literally a finalist for the Jack Adams award LAST YEAR. He lost half his ****ing team and he coached them into the playoffs. For about a week, Joakim Andersson was his #1C.

So what? As far as I'm concerned, the reason the Wings were an 8th seed is due to Babcocks early season mistakes.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
So what? As far as I'm concerned, the reason the Wings were an 8th seed is due to Babcocks early season mistakes.

No, the Wings were an 8th seed because they lost 421 man games to injury, with over 150 of those lost to key players.

Do they win more games if Gustav Nyquist starts the year in Detroit?
Of course they do.

However, they'd have won even more games than that if Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, and Jonathan Ericsson didn't go down for extended periods of time.

I'm sorry but by looking at the way the season played out last year, it is simply ridiculous to be calling for Babcock's job.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
In the eyes of Babcock

Cleary > Jurco > Mantha

1) Let Mantha play one game at the pro level before you just hand him a roster spot. Let him have an entire training camp/preseason before you slot him in on the top line. Because if you don't and he struggles, everyone will lose their **** about him... and it's pretty damn near certain that he will struggle, because he's 20 years old and has been playing against other kids up till now.

2) Jurco has waiver eligibility left. It's not a matter of Cleary being better than him or not. The Wings can keep Jurco down learning in the AHL and maintain control of him and they can't with Tatar or Nyquist anymore.

3) Cleary is awful, but Wings management (not just Babcock) seem to think he's worth something.

The order of what the Wings do with Cleary, Jurco, and Mantha has nothing to do with how they view their talent. Jurco and Mantha have options to remain at the AHL level and could potentially develop more by utilizing those options. Cleary has no option but to be on the NHL roster.

Not everything that the Red Wings do is designed to enrich Cleary and screw over the youngsters.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
No, the Wings were an 8th seed because they lost 421 man games to injury, with over 150 of those lost to key players.

Of course they do.

However, they'd have won even more games than that if Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, and Jonathan Ericsson didn't go down for extended periods of time.

I'm sorry but by looking at the way the season played out last year, it is simply ridiculous to be calling for Babcock's job.

His PP sucks. His delegation of TOI sucks. Numerous player dislike playing for him (allegedly). And if he was such a great coach, why aren't free agents coming here in droves?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Of course they do.

Why then where we a sub .500 team the first 25 games of the season before the injury bug hit? Why when the top guns got back at the end of the season did he **** the lines up and our results got worse as we got healthier. The reason we got into the playoffs last year was all the dead weight got hurt or proved there ineffectiveness and got benched in lieu of the kids who proved that they beat out the has beens. Everytime last season we where relatively healthy and babs got to make his lines we collectively got our **** pushed in because his obsessive compulsion since lids retired is to shell up ala ducks style and dump, chase, and grind down our own team down because the organization hasn't set up the wings to play that way as a team. When Babs had no control over the lineup we succeded (injuries to the extreme) so he couldn't try to mighty ****ing duck our lines.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes

Coaches, even the good ones, have a limited shelf life. Babs knows this or else he'd have an extension in place.

Regardless of his reputation around the league I think it's time to move on.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'm not even looking forward to October that much anymore. Give me mid November when we're icing the team we're supposed to ice and have something to be excited for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad